My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,071  
The Hardie comes primed. That is Valspar duramax satin in Hardie Arctic White. That is the color of the house. So I am painting the panels as we go to keep them from absorbing rain.

I dropped another video this morning.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,072  
Good to see another side done.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,073  
One thing you will want to watch for is that when it rains, and hits the dirt next to the building, you will get dirt splashing up onto the painted siding. Now you would think that could just be washed off later but for some reason, it will never come off, no matter what you try. If you can lay down a temporary (for a couple years in your case) perimeter of cheap landscape fabric and tack it to the ground, it can help avoid that.

Nice progress. Keep chipping away!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,074  
Yes, my basement walls are still stained from dirt splash when building.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,075  
We will probably just paint the foundation walls again.
Speaking of paint, we went thru the first 5 gallons and I got another 5 gallons made last week. Using the Valspar Duramax from Lowe’s. They had the Hardie Arctic White in their computer so it seemed like it would be easy.
Jefanna had commented about how much she liked the paint color and that it had a hint of green to it.
Today I went to Lowes and bought all the Hardie 3.5 inch trim that they had in stock. It comes pre-painted with little plastic wrap cover on each piece to try to protect it. That might work if you had it delivered by the pallet but loading and unloading to get it onto a truck and off, removes some of those little plastic film protectors. When we were unloading it mynwife noted that it was a little different from the paint we used. This evening, we used the last of the first 5 gallons of paint and as soon as Jefanna started on the new bucket ahe said “ This isn’t right”. It isnt the same color. We went and held a piece of the pre-painted trim up and it matches the new paint. It does not match the first 5 gallons of paint. We have already painted 3 coats on 140 feet of wall. Jefanna left the first paint bucket out in the rain so the little label is unreadable. I looked at the paint code on them and the first one is “base2”....”pigment must be added”. The second is “ultra white”. So they didn’t even start off as the same paint. I know that the guy who got the second bucket correct had me come read the screen and pick the “arctic white” because they had three different paint recipes in the computer with the name “arctic white”. One was Hardie and the other two were not. I am hoping that they just used the wrong recipe and can find what they used and duplicate it. We like that color better and have already painted 140 feet of wall with it.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,076  
Sorry about paint mixup.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,077  
So, you like the first (wrong) paint better? I hope they can find the formula. You are making progress where things really show!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,078  
We had a similar situation at Home Depot. I forget the exact name of the paint color but there were three different shaded with the same name with very minor differences in spelling. This was from 3 different manufacturers. We had to have them re-make 2 gallons because what they made was not the same spelling as the color sample we handed them. I know the folks mixing it have a hard time because of the similar names. I blame the manufacturers that make something with the same name as someone else but a different color. "Arctic White" certainly seems like a prime candidate for this situation. :-(

Rob

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,079  
I've never ever seen pre painted Hardie in any store, ever. I'm amazed that your Lowes carries it. That must be a massive store to have enough space for it.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,080  
Yeah those paint mix labels always fade or get paint on them when you really need them !! If i read it right there is 3 recipes for your paint . 1 is the Hardie and that is your 2nd bucket. The 1st bucket is one of the other 2 recipes. So it comes down to either one of the recipes that isn't Hardie ? See if they can mix up a quart of each of the non Hardie recipe. That might get you what you want !

Why have you put 3 coats on already ? Does the Hardie paneling really absorb that much ?