My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,242  
I have windows

Check your codes, I think at least ERV is required. You may be too tight and will have a sick house. Would be good to check into it. Your blower test will tell the inspector and what you need to do. It is a lot of work to put in the ducts for it after.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,243  
An electrical story from a guy at work. He just bought a used house about 20 yrs old. previous owner had finished the basement. My coworker had electrician in yesterday to redo some outlets. My coworker doesn’t know anything about most house things. He said electricians claimed nothing was grounded and during their work they tripped breaker for the lights. Could not find a tripped breaker. Did find an unlabeled 50A breaker, but didn’t know what it was for. They suspected subpanel, but couldn’t find one. Coworker got in touch with his realtor, who got ahold of previous owner, who agreed to come over. He goes into a closet under the basement stairs, points at a wall and says cut here. He had enclosed a panel in a wall, because he didn’t like the looks of it.

Anyways he’s getting things fixed right now.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,244  
You have windows, sure. But you won't ever open them voluntarily in the winter time. And yeah check code reqs. You wouldn't need to run ducts for it across your great room, just having it over the utility and master bedroom side would be sufficient.

All I can say is, get a good indoor weather station to monitor your CO2 levels (I have a Netatmo), and a separate CO meter with real-time reading (not just a 400ppm alarm). This is the one I have, a great deal right now:

I feel you on the window glass treatment conundrum. You are designed for passive solar gain, except without a way to block it in the summer (roof overhangs/awnings). Even with low SHGC glass, you might kinda cook in there. We have similarly huge glass in our living room, with no blinds. It's bright as heck in there, but our roof blocks direct sun all summer so no heating.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,245  
Remember... building codes are the "bare minimum" of what one must do; they are not the gold standard...

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,246  
An electrical story from a guy at work. He just bought a used house about 20 yrs old. previous owner had finished the basement. My coworker had electrician in yesterday to redo some outlets. My coworker doesn’t know anything about most house things. He said electricians claimed nothing was grounded and during their work they tripped breaker for the lights. Could not find a tripped breaker. Did find an unlabeled 50A breaker, but didn’t know what it was for. They suspected subpanel, but couldn’t find one. Coworker got in touch with his realtor, who got ahold of previous owner, who agreed to come over. He goes into a closet under the basement stairs, points at a wall and says cut here. He had enclosed a panel in a wall, because he didn’t like the looks of it.

Anyways he’s getting things fixed right now.

Yeah……I’m not gonna be doing any dumb stuff like that.

#2,247  
I have run a wood stove from 2002 till 2018. I cracked the window in the winter time regularly. If it gets too hot, crack a window. Inalso had a downdraft island exhaust that ran at 500 cfm. I frequently cracked a window so that it had air to pull. I used to have a nice wood-shop and I found that air flow meant dust control. The more air you move, the better. I dont open my windows at night in the spring because that is when plants release their pollen (mostly).
I will research on the air system and just flat out ask the inspector. If needed I will out something in. Duct work is disgusting.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,248  
Duct work is disgusting.
Amen! lol. The only ducts in my house are three 6' runs for the centrally located ERV to suck from my 2 adjacent bathrooms and the kitchen, and dump back into the great room.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,249  
So how many years is hard cider good in a bottle? I have some 15 yrs old I’m afraid to try.

#2,250  
So how many years is hard cider good in a bottle? I have some 15 yrs old I’m afraid to try.

Cider is just fruit wine. If it was carbonated that may have gone flat. Alcohol production is regulated and you cant list vintage years for cider like you do wine from grapes. Some makers list a bin number which usually contains the year. I know that wine can be greatly effected by aging. Sometimes adversely. Some wines are designed to be drank right away and lose desired taste elements as they age while others become jewels as their complexities are balanced with age. Tannins drop out and sweetness is softened.
When my wife and I were newly married, my wine chest had been fairly depleted. There was one bottle that I never touched. It was a bottle of chambourcin that I had purchased about 12 years before, on my first ever visit to a winery. I remember that when we sampled it at the winery it was almost sickeningly sweet and the sommelier told me that if aged about 4 years it would become a great bottle of wine.
I bought one and tucked it away on a closet shelf then Transferred it to the chest when we bought one years later. It was still there and I had just gotten into the habit of not drinking it.
One evening my wife walked into the living room with a glass of red wine, remarking about how good it was. I knew we were out of red. I asked her where she got it and she said there was one more bottle buried in the bottom of the chest under white wines. I nodded and asked her to bring me a glass. She was right it was extraordinary. She might have chosen the perfect time to open it, when it was at it’s best, just before it began to decline. I told her the why it was buried in the bottom of the chest and where I got it. I still have a laugh about that sometimes.

Buckeye, I’d put that bottle of cider on ice and open it up. Maybe have cheese and fruit to accent it and enjoy it with your bride. I might also have a second bottle of something else chilled and on standby in case it failed to impress.
Make sure you tell us if it was worth drinking.