My Industrial Cabin Build

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
Oh, forgot to mention "jam switches". Every lighted closet including the pantry should have jam switches. Greatest invention ever.

Yes. The switch is a push button located in the door jamb, hinge side. Open the door, light on. Close the door, light off. Genius!!!!

Wow. I never found them hard to install at all. I ran the wire just like for a normal switch. Carpenter installed door. I cut in switch hole and hooked it up. If your carpenter charges you $100 to install one you might need to change carpenters. :)

So installation with a drill, oscillating cutter and a chisel (for the faceplate)? Not the hardest thing to do, but kind of futsy (see the 3 minute mark of this video)

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
The low voltage switch seems easier to install, but I see fewer of them to buy. See at the 5:30 mark.

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
We use the switch plate timers all the time. We program outside lights to come on/off at dusk/dawn in front and back.

Even I can program those guys!

The outdoor outlets are also on switch plate timers and that works great at Christmas.

My only other suggestion is to have lots of outdoor lighting. We use outdoor lighting (especially in the back) a lot. The screen porch us in constant use.

MoKelly

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
How lazy do we need to get ? My goodness, what effort does it take to turn a normal light switch off and on. What,s next, and app on your phone, so you can do it remotely ? There is a reason, north americans are getting fatter, and fatter. Reaching for a light switch is probably the most exercise some folks get. Don,t take that away from them. LOL
It has absolutely nothing to do with laziness. It is about convenience. Do you have a door with a jamb switch?

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
My wife wishes she had an app (or a husband) that put the toilet seat down.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
I have an app to control lights because 2 yrs ago I couldn’t walk and was using a wheelchair. It was nice to get in bed, then turn the lights off with my app.

BleedingOrange

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2370
It has absolutely nothing to do with laziness. It is about convenience. Do you have a door with a jamb switch?
We had our house built in 1980. Every closet has a light switch. Zero effort or inconvenience required to flip the switch on, or off, but it does require a bit of effort to lift the left or right arm to flip the switch. LOL

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
The house I grew up in was built by my dad in the 50's, and it had jamb switches in a couple small closets. I built my house without them though. They are definitely handy, but if you leave the door slightly open the light stays on. That's not always noticed during the day. I also would not use them in bedrooms where you might not want a light coming on when someone is sleeping.