My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,741  
I was talking to an installer yesterday who said he was forced to try Cycle Stop Valves because of the chip shortage for VFD's and big pressure tanks are also not available. Said he wished he had been forced to try them years ago, as he had no idea CSV's worked so
well. :rolleyes:

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,742  
Thanks for the explanation! Yes, probably just don't know what I am missing. Oh well, not gonna futz with my plumbing when everything is working fine.

Woodchuck, you don't have 16" of space? That sucks! My own utility room is a tiny 6x8.5'. In this tiny space we have: 200amp panel, generator transfer switch panel, pressure tank, softener, water heater, full size upright deep freezer, utility sink, and full size washer and dryer. Plus the cat's litter box behind the door. It's pretty awful in there, lol.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,743  
Thanks for the explanation! Yes, probably just don't know what I am missing. Oh well, not gonna futz with my plumbing when everything is working fine.

Woodchuck, you don't have 16" of space? That sucks! My own utility room is a tiny 6x8.5'. In this tiny space we have: 200amp panel, generator transfer switch panel, pressure tank, softener, water heater, full size upright deep freezer, utility sink, and full size washer and dryer. Plus the cat's litter box behind the door. It's pretty awful in there, lol.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. But just think of what else you could put in there if you didn't have that big pressure tank in the way. Lol! Plus, I will bet that now you are aware of some problems associated with the pump cycling on and off, you will cringe every time you hear that pressure switch click, click, click. :oops:

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,745  
A
If it ain't broke don't fix it. But just think of what else you could put in there if you didn't have that big pressure tank in the way. Lol! Plus, I will bet that now you are aware of some problems associated with the pump cycling on and off, you will cringe every time you hear that pressure switch click, click, click. :oops:
This CSV system sounds really interesting, so I googled it to see what it would take to add to my existing system. (It appears to not be a difficult thing to do.)

However, this video caught my attention, a very different viewpoint on using a Cycle Stop Valve in the system… I’m not sure my water uses fit, mostly short periods of use.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,747  
A

This CSV system sounds really interesting, so I googled it to see what it would take to add to my existing system. (It appears to not be a difficult thing to do.)

However, this video caught my attention, a very different viewpoint on using a Cycle Stop Valve in the system… I’m not sure my water uses fit, mostly short periods of use.

Yeah this poor guy is completely inaccurate with everything he says. I couldn't figure out why he was making up so much incorrect information. Then he offered to delete them if I pay him enough money. It is some kind of blackmail. I have reported it to the proper authorities, but they probably won't do anything about it.

We only get the intelligent customers anyway. If you look at any of the videos on his channel and think he is intelligent, we don't want your business. That guy is a nut case. We have a patented product, been in business for 30 years, and offer a money back guarantee. How can that be a scam?

Here are a few hundred intelligent comments on the Cycle Stop Valves. https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/reviews

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #2,748  
I’m not sure my water uses fit, mostly short periods of use.

Even short period of water, your water doesn't come from a tank, it comes from the well. The tank is only to keep the pump from cycling on and off too much while the pump is delivering water as needed. When you have a Cycle Stop Valve to do that for you, a small tank is all that is needed. The small tank with a CSV is more a mechanical timer than to supply any water. The CSV keeps the pump running as long as you are using water. Then the CSV fills the tank at 1 GPM rate before the pump shuts off.

A tank that holds 1 gallon of water becomes a 1 minute timer. One minute after you stop using water, as long as no other water has been used by you or anyone else in the house, the pump goes off. If within that minute you use anymore water, or anyone else in the house uses any water, the pump stays running and the 1 minute timer starts again. Cycling is eliminated by waiting to make sure you and everyone else in the house is through using water before the pump turns off.

Keeping it running is good for the pump. Short on and short off times, which is what you get even with a so called properly sized tank, is what destroys pumps and other components. Not to mention varying the pressure to the shower.

You should find someone who has actually seen a pump to get advice from. If you let someone talk you out of a little inexpensive Cycle Stop Valve, it will cost you many thousands over the years to come.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,749  
Buying a pump has turned out to be a pain in the backside. Out of stock, out of stock, out of stock. I found an AY McDonad. Asked for a quote and they had problem e-mailing it to me. Now it is gone as well. I guess I will call tomorrow to check on some of these and buy whatever I can find. Good times.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,750  
Seems that like most supplies lately, I am on an epic quest. The Grundfos pump is not available anywhere. There appears to be an AY McDonald stainless available. The impeller is a type of plastic. Given the downward spiral of our supply chain I think I should just grab it and be glad.
David,

Get as big as a pressure tank that will fit, 8 or 10 gallon drawdown and stack the tank in the corner as mentioned above the water softener - and use the CSV - get the best of both worlds - constant pressure when needed, less cycles and not turning on every time you brush your teeth or wash your hands - it's really simple - you want to reduce the starts/stops on the pump.

For the pump, getting a large 1HP pump - 15 GPM is actually a bad idea, it will draw more amps starting and running and be overkill for your house. A Goulds, Grundfos, or AY McDonald 3/4 HP 10 GPM model will produce 12 + GPM at your water depth and with your in flow or recovery rate of (20 GPM) , and a 7 GPM rated pump will deliver 8-10 GPM at your depth and in flow rate to the well.

Personally, I have a Goulds 10GS15 (10 GPM, 1.5HP) for 20 years, set at 365' and it pumps 14 GPM at 50 PSI most of the year, and when the well is low - dry times produces 10-11 GPM, and I wish I put in a 7 GPM 1.5 HP as it would better match our max usage (8-10 GPM) with less cycling.

The key to a long lasting water system is to size the pump and system to your usage and minimize the number of starts/stop cycles over the years, and that is best done with a "right sized pump and storage tank" and a CSV which will minimize the starts/stops and not turn on every time you draw a small amount of water.

You can do what you want, but don't over size the system - 1" pipe, 3/4 HP 7-10 GPM (will produce 8-12 GPM), a 8 gal drawdown tank would be ideal.