My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,431  
Had a big one of those at a nearby business that collapsed in one of our heavy snows !
I always wondered how they would hold up.
Back in Jersey a farm has a huge one up. Must be about 100' long and 25' high.
Looks like those sports complex practice fields they cover over.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,432  
harbor freight, lowes, and Tractor supply. was looking for crowsfeet wrench. no dice. found a set of "service wrenches" that have the sizes I need. didn't have time to get under the tractor today’s because we have another shipping containe being delivered this week. I finished the pad with the excavator and spread the #3 stone . Thankfully, Jefanna had them dump the rock right next to where I was doing the pad so it was much easier. would have been near impossible to go back and forth from the regular spot without tractor. probably won't be able to work on the tractor till this weekend. But plan to follow advice and wrap the hydraulic ram with rags and keep them wet, while I heat the end to break the thread locker that is probably there. Got a flat tire on my commuter car. Jefanna is taking her Jeep to the shop because the traction control keeps coming on and preventing normal driving. She will take my tire with them to get a new one put on the rim. Excavator hasn't been charging batteries properly so I have had to pull them and charge each night so it's ready for use the next day. managed to fry/melt the connection cable that goes between the batteries . check engine light came on in the Truck. I'm on a roll.

Well, I've been following along for the past six years. Our similar build took us five years, but sure is nice. I would have done a thousand little things different and a few large ones... but you and I both ended up building something nice.

Now I've got a question. When we started work here, I accidently got the right tractors, the wrong trucks, and the right car.

Now that you have all that experience.... If you were to be able to start again - what tractor, truck, and car would you choose?

rScotty

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,433  
it is interesting.l. when we started I was going to do a large metal building first. because agricultural, didn't need permit....they encouraged you to fill out an agricultural form but there was no requirement. they are pushing more and more so we shall see how they act.

The county where I bought agricultural zoned land in VA, you can build agricultural barn without building permit, but still need zoning permit. An agricultural barn can not house tractors and equipment, only animals. Can not build barn for storage of tractors or mowers without zoning and building permit, but can’t get that permit until you have permit to build your house. I can place up to a 250 sf shed on land with a zoning permit and no building permit. Unfortunately I didn’t realize all this nonsense until after I bought the land in a pretty rural county.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,434  
Wind has destroyed several of those fabric shelters in my area.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,435  
The county where I bought agricultural zoned land in VA, you can build agricultural barn without building permit, but still need zoning permit. An agricultural barn can not house tractors and equipment, only animals. Can not build barn for storage of tractors or mowers without zoning and building permit, but can’t get that permit until you have permit to build your house. I can place up to a 250 sf shed on land with a zoning permit and no building permit. Unfortunately I didn’t realize all this nonsense until after I bought the land in a pretty rural county.
That sounds pretty typical. I didn't know these things either when I bought my parcel of land. "What do you mean I can't build a shed or barn to store my equipment and belongings before I'm ready to build the house?!?" (I built a small pole barn back in the woods for storage anyway, my inspector must have noticed, but he never said a word).

Accessory buildings only after approved primary dwelling on residential zoned lots. It makes it hard to build things yourself slowly on shoestring budgets. But I understand it more now, we don't want shadetree mechanics setting up covert storage and business operations without investing in actually living on the properties in safe, approved dwellings.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,436  
I am looking at something like this.
30 foot space between. I will build a frame to sit itnon since the right hand container will be 3-4 feet lower than the left hand.
IMG_0996.png

#4,437  
In the end it is a 20x46 foot structure. I can build as I go and as I have money for it. Not the cheapest overall but pretty solid and will meet my immediate needs as well as my expanding needs and provide me a space to get tractors and side by side out of sun and lock up and organize tools and give me a workout space. When another structure gets built I have option of using the space differently.

#4,438  
Well, I've been following along for the past six years. Our similar build took us five years, but sure is nice. I would have done a thousand little things different and a few large ones... but you and I both ended up building something nice.

Now I've got a question. When we started work here, I accidently got the right tractors, the wrong trucks, and the right car.

Now that you have all that experience.... If you were to be able to start again - what tractor, truck, and car would you choose?

rScotty

I think about this a lot. I had a Dodge Ram already. A 2004 that I bought ought new in 2004.
Right truck for the job.
Excavator was a good choice. I intended to sell after a couple years. Maybe someday to get another one. But as long as this one does what I need probably just keep it.
I would have bought a Ventrac from day one. With tough cut mower and front landscape rake. Maybe a power rake too.
My wife drives a 2016 jeep. Good for this area. I drive a nissan rogue to commute. Its ok but I got a punctured tire on the gravel road last week. Even though my tire shop said I run beefier tires than most people.
My daughter is in a 2014 Ford Escape Platinum. Has the low profile wheels and feels delicate out here. It is a nice looking car with leather interior and she keeps it spotless on the inside and washes offs the dirt frequently.
Kioti 7320 was a good pick for this land. Big enough to work. Small enough to maneuver around on the slopes

Last edited:
#4,440  
Successful delivery today.
Buckeye, I’m sorry they wont deliver to you. The quality is better than anything I saw anywhere else. Although Mobile Mini had some decent ones when I went to their place in Ashland Va. but comparable price was an older unit.

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg