My Industrial Cabin Build

pmsmechanic

Elite Member
Tractor
4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245
I looked into on demand electric water heaters. Higher amounts of energy needed and you require 30 amp and larger circuits for them.
I make myself crazy with all of this. I think space limitations are going to force my hand and make me use the tankless propane. If I had experience I would know that I needed a larger mechanical room. Probably twice the size.
You have "attic" space on both sides of the house with adequate room for a water heater. Just getting them up and down those stairs could be interesting.

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
What is going in your mechanical room that is making it feel too small?

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
I have run into another issue that is much more troublesome. My mechanical room is too small. It is 8’9”by 5’6”. I am thinking of moving the electrical panel to an alcove near the back door this would put the panel on the outer wall, making it easier to pull the electric in. That would free up the space i. The mechanical room that I need.
Be careful where you put that elec panel... code requires ample room to either side and I believe 36" clearance in the front. NOTHING can impede access to it. Oh, and no water lines near it as well.

#2,604  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
What is going in your mechanical room that is making it feel too small?

On the full 8 foot wall, I have my radiant heat manifolds and will use most of that wall for the radiant heat plumbing and mechanicals. The wall to the right of that (if you were standing in the doorway, looking in), will have an on demand heat pump on the wall. I cant figure any other way to do it. I also need to have a water softening system and a well tank. That is a lot of real estate. On the other side is the electric panel, unless I can figure out somewhere to move it. The alcove wont work. You need 30 inches to place it in and 36 in front of it. The 36 was fine but the it is only 24 inches wide.

#2,605  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
On your bump out that you added for your vent line being off a little. I would either do the entire wall that thickness, or cut the concrete and move the vent line.

Jefanna loves the bump out. It stays. But I have to say,it reminds me of my childhood. I have a lot of relatives in Luzerne county PA. And there is a little road where my Grandparents lived when I was a little kid. Across the street were several houses going to the right and left, and our family lived in every one of them. They had all been built by family members. Some were better built than others and they all had some “features”.

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
On the full 8 foot wall, I have my radiant heat manifolds and will use most of that wall for the radiant heat plumbing and mechanicals. The wall to the right of that (if you were standing in the doorway, looking in), will have an on demand heat pump on the wall. I cant figure any other way to do it. I also need to have a water softening system and a well tank. That is a lot of real estate. On the other side is the electric panel, unless I can figure out somewhere to move it. The alcove wont work. You need 30 inches to place it in and 36 in front of it. The 36 was fine but the it is only 24 inches wide.
Can you add an a small room on to the house directly outside of your mechanical room? Put in an exterior door and use that room for all of your plumbing, radiant heat, etc; no one says it has to be "in the house".

#2,607  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
Can you add an a small room on to the house directly outside of your mechanical room? Put in an exterior door and use that room for all of your plumbing, radiant heat, etc; no one says it has to be "in the house".

Holy cow. That would add some complexity to my life. If I can’t figure it all out, I will put a small sediment filter in place, get the room going and move in, then revisit it. For wlectric I am going with the original locatiin and just moving forward.

Carl_NH

Elite Member
Tractor
01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8
Have you tested for hardness/minerals that you know you need a softener? With a large 1" sediment cartridge filter and water softener you could "stack" the water tank above the filters/softener in the corner of the room taking up a 2x2x8'H space.

The well bladder tanks are light (empty) but the softener canisters are heavy. You could add a large sand filter if needed later next to the softener.

Do you have a drain in the utility room? As I recall there is a Bathroom next to this utility room?

#2,609  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
A quick sketch of the mechanical room. And yes there is a drain built into the floor.
IMG_5269.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5269.jpg
    IMG_5269.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30

#2,610  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
We put up some siding this weekend, and I painted it today.
Why would I put up siding at this point? Well the far side of the house had no siding on it. And to get the electric run to the house, I need a disconnect on the outside. And it seemed logical to me that I might want to put up the siding first and then attach the disconnect box. Unfortunately we only got half a wall done. We had some farm business to take care of that ate up a bunch of time this weekend.
I have also been working a deal to get a second tractor up here to help me deal with some of the things that have been giving me a lot of challenge and don’t exactly fit into the realm of my Kioti. Looking forward to that, even though we have very little time to spare for farm work.
I just need to chew harder.

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
A second tractor? Do tell!

#2,612  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
A second tractor? Do tell!

Well, it’s made in America.
Jefanna has been asking me to teach her to use the rotary cutter. When things are overgrown, it makes her very anxious. She gets overwhelmed by the visual and starts to doubt that we can ever make this place a decent home.
I walked into a local power equipment place looking for the Stihl chainsaw sharpener you guys mentioned. I walked in, saw Echo saws, did an about face and headed back to the truck. As I was climbing in the truck I saw a used compact tractor with a cutting deck.
My 7th wedding anniversary is coming up. And being the romantic guy I am, I I started working on a deal to give my wife something she can mow the front field with. There is no way that I’m turning her loose in the Kioti, with a 7 foot rotary cutter on the kind of terrain we have. She uses the Kioti and is really good in it but some of the stuff I have cut with that thing is just too sketchy. And sometimes, she gets flustered and I just don’t want that situation. Something smaller, closer to the ground and better visibility seemed like the correct tool.

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
I like your mowing plan - is it an OE belly mower under the CUT? Definitely much easier to use. But dude, now you need to start on the barn, can't have everything sitting outside forever.... 🤪

Glad you have a floor drain in your mechanical room. Our architect forgot to put one on our plumbing plan, and the seasoned, grizzly old master plumber we subbed decided it wasn't his responsibility to consider it either. So my water heater has to sit in a pan, taking up more room. F^&(**ng stupid.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
No drain and no pan on my WH.

Hope tractor works out.

civilian

Veteran Member
Tractor
Gravely Pro 16 walk behind, Kubota BX2230, Kubota B26TLB
Waiting patiently for pictures of Jefanna on her new toy! Opps, I ment tractor! Jon

murphy1244

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota 1120 RTV Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y
Well, it’s made in America.
Jefanna has been asking me to teach her to use the rotary cutter. When things are overgrown, it makes her very anxious. She gets overwhelmed by the visual and starts to doubt that we can ever make this place a decent home.
I walked into a local power equipment place looking for the Stihl chainsaw sharpener you guys mentioned. I walked in, saw Echo saws, did an about face and headed back to the truck. As I was climbing in the truck I saw a used compact tractor with a cutting deck.
My 7th wedding anniversary is coming up. And being the romantic guy I am, I I started working on a deal to give my wife something she can mow the front field with. There is no way that I’m turning her loose in the Kioti, with a 7 foot rotary cutter on the kind of terrain we have. She uses the Kioti and is really good in it but some of the stuff I have cut with that thing is just too sketchy. And sometimes, she gets flustered and I just don’t want that situation. Something smaller, closer to the ground and better visibility seemed like the correct tool.
What's wrong with Echo saws? For me it's the easiest saw to start .

Carl_NH

Elite Member
Tractor
01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8
A quick sketch of the mechanical room. And yes there is a drain built into the floor.
View attachment 714948
- Suggest if you do a Combi Heat/DHW wall mount unit - Rinnai make a good unit that is modulating and this means only one Propane connection, vent etc and saves space. Also you have 3 heat sources - Wood, Mini Splits, and the Boiler, so likely the radiant is for BR's and comfort.
- Have you had the water tested for hardness and minerals? Also how does it taste? If its decent then defer the softener until later. Also, we had hard water in PA but did not like the "softened water taste" so ran the sink and drinking kitchen sink supply line non softened.
- Drain's - the softener needs a drain connection and the water tank, and boiler need a drain nearby - the softener recycles every week or so depending on the hardness. You could route the softener drain to the toilet vent stack behind the room as an option.

Attachments

• Mech Room .pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 26

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
If you do end up with an on-demand water heater be advised that even moderately hard water will destroy them in short order. Ask me how I know... A softener is critical from day 1. Don't put it off.

#2,619  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
What's wrong with Echo saws? For me it's the easiest saw to start .

I was looking for a Stihl sharpener. So I figured if they sold echo, they wouldn’t have the sharpener.
I own a husky, a Stihl , two Dolmar and a Makita (rebranded Dolmar). I run saws that run well, have the proper inertia brake and provide good value for my dollar. Brand is a factor but isn’t the only factor.

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
Are you looking for that Stihl 2-in-1 sharpener that takes down the rakers and sharpens the cutters in one shot? That is made by Pferd and several companies re-brand it. Amazon has the Stihl ones and Pferd ones.

Pferd: https://amzn.to/3oocogi

Stihl: https://amzn.to/3a0qjAp

jjp8182

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
I was looking for a Stihl sharpener. So I figured if they sold echo, they wouldn’t have the sharpener.
I own a husky, a Stihl , two Dolmar and a Makita (rebranded Dolmar). I run saws that run well, have the proper inertia brake and provide good value for my dollar. Brand is a factor but isn’t the only factor.
The Stihl 2 in 1 sharpeners can be found online as well (one of the few Stihl products that can be pretty easy to find online) ..... just have to be sure they are clearly identifying which pitch of chain the tool being sold is intended to be used upon as not all sellers are clear on which version it is they are selling. 🤦‍♂️

747driver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27 HST
Been away for a few weeks and went back 4 pages to get caught up David. You have some decisions to make to get things in order. Just my opinion, but i would want to get all the siding up and painted including the battens. Weather is not going to be on your side here very shortly. While you are doing that get a electrician and the power company out to get the electrical service up and installed. You are stretched to thin to continue jumping from one project to the next...as i tell my wife....there is only one Chuck. So i relent and hire out the difficult items that need done now ! Plus you have the well pump and water system yet to be hooked up ! Step back and ask yourself....what is the most important thing that needs to be done now and do it !!

#2,623  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yeah , I agree I’m stretched too thin. I have tried to get two different electricians up there to connect the panel. I will be away from the build tomorrow for a wedding and back out there Sunday. Work has been a bear. I am actually sitting on a support call now.
As for the tractor, I got my truck back out of the shop Monday and I brought the tractor home yesterday. Tonight after work I spent some time with Jefanna teaching her how to drive it. Then came home to get on this call.
She loves it. It needs some hydraulic work done and the parts are back ordered and it needs guide wheels for the cutter deck , I ordered the suspension seat as well. Everything is back ordered.

IMG_5309.jpg

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
Nice big smile !

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
Cool. Great choice to rough mow a hilly property. And a very capable 3-pt hitch at the rear.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Nice tractor.
Good you got truck back.

One of first things I did after building my house is add a water softener. I have pressure tank, softener, water heater in a row. And I had to add a drain for the softener.

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Yeah , I agree I’m stretched too thin. I have tried to get two different electricians up there to connect the panel. I will be away from the build tomorrow for a wedding and back out there Sunday. Work has been a bear. I am actually sitting on a support call now.
As for the tractor, I got my truck back out of the shop Monday and I brought the tractor home yesterday. Tonight after work I spent some time with Jefanna teaching her how to drive it. Then came home to get on this call.
She loves it. It needs some hydraulic work done and the parts are back ordered and it needs guide wheels for the cutter deck , I ordered the suspension seat as well. Everything is back ordered.

View attachment 715350
When you get that going, you're gonna be jealous of Jefanna's tractor! That thing will be great in between your apple trees, with the cutter out front, sure footed as a billy goat.

I have a 2 WD Steiner 230/Kubota diesel. I love it for my flatland with the 72" cutter. It needs a little more work to be really good, but I can mow now with it. I bought mine in an auction and put the story here.

murphy1244

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hope that Ventrac works out for you. I have a 4500Y diesel and I love it..
You can get like 30 different attachment's for it

#2,630  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
It looks like some of you have seen the video I dropped today. I was rushed so didn’t get a link here. I use my phone for almost everything internet related. We don’t have high speed internet here. We had an out of town wedding to attend today and I loaded the video on the highway while we were driving and when we stopped for lunch.
A little work on the house this week and some farmvlog. And new tractor.

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
I'm sure you have posted this, but what type of apple trees did you plant? All for making cider, or any for eating/cooking?

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
It looks like some of you have seen the video I dropped today. I was rushed so didn’t get a link here. I use my phone for almost everything internet related. We don’t have high speed internet here. We had an out of town wedding to attend today and I loaded the video on the highway while we were driving and when we stopped for lunch.
A little work on the house this week and some farmvlog. And new tractor.

Don't feel like you need to post a link here for every video you put up. Anyone who watches them can subscribe to your Youtube channel and use the notification bell get notified directly. That's exactly what the feature is for.

You have enough on your plate... you don't need to be worrying about links.

Rob

Last edited:

murphy1244

Super Star Member
Tractor
Don't feel like you need to post a link here for every video you put up. Anyone who watches them can subscribe to your Youtube channel and use the notification bell get notified directly. That's exactly what the feature is for.

You have enough on your plate... you don't need to be worrying about links.

Rob
I like seeing his posts here. This is where I follow his progress. By the way Woodchuck"Welcome to the Ventrac Family."

#2,634  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
I'm sure you have posted this, but what type of apple trees did you plant? All for making cider, or any for eating/cooking?

Harrison, wickson crab, red siberian crab,hewes crab, virginia winesap, golden russet, grimes golden.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
I like seeing his posts here. This is where I follow his progress. By the way Woodchuck"Welcome to the Ventrac Family."
Sure, his posts. But having to remember to come back here and link every video is overkill with the amount of balls he has in the air. If people want to watch them follow on Youtube.

murphy1244

Super Star Member
Tractor
Sure, his posts. But having to remember to come back here and link every video is overkill with the amount of balls he has in the air. If people want to watch them follow on Youtube.
Who are you tell me and others what to do?

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Who are you tell me and others what to do?
I'm telling the busy guy building a house, filming it, managing an orchard and working a full time job that shouldn't feel obligated to take the extra step of providing a link here for folks who can find it elsewhere very easily. Maybe you could think about someone else for a bit and consider the situation instead of dashing to take offense?

murphy1244

Super Star Member
Tractor
I'm telling the busy guy building a house, filming it, managing an orchard and working a full time job that shouldn't feel obligated to take the extra step of providing a link here for folks who can find it elsewhere very easily. Maybe you could think about someone else for a bit and consider the situation instead of dashing to take offense?
No offence taken. I have been following this thread from the beginning and I don't think posting a link is all that much trouble. You have posted this before..

PS I am also happy he bought a Ventrac as they are working beasts like him!

#2,640  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
You guys have me laughing. I don’t mind posting here, I am just not good at keeping up with everything. So sometimes the posts will be late. It happens. I neglected to turn on the image stabilization on the last video and the one of Jefanna learning to drive the tractor so it is harder to edit. I had zero experience editing video until about 2.5 years ago . I still don’t know much. I try to skip fancy stuff and just get the basics. Jefanna has recently started helping me shhot video. I think she just considered it a weird hobby at first and we got a lot of negativity early on. We both had to develop some thicker skin and learn to laugh. There are people out there who would give a thumbs down to a small child being rescued from a fire.
I like sharing my experience because I have learned from others. It is important to me to keep this thread going because Tractorbynet has been a real lifesaver for me. I really cant think of another place where I could find so many really smart people who are willing to share their knowledge.

Last edited:

#2,641  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
I dropped another video today. Jefanna breaking in the Tractor.
Also, I was using a drill above my head Sunday and it got hung up. I had my arm x-rayed yesterday. No fracture just a pull. Good news for me because I really need to keep going. I have an electrician scheduled this weekend to come connect my electric panel and disconnect.

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
I dropped another video today. Jefanna breaking in the Tractor.
Also, I was using a drill above my head Sunday and it got hung up. I had my arm x-rayed yesterday. No fracture just a pull. Good news for me because I really need to keep going. I have an electrician scheduled this weekend to come connect my electric panel and disconnect.

I am lazy.

You didn’t post your link.

MoKelly

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
Very nice. The hand hydro control seems to work fine, but would it be handier if the hydro was foot controls?

murphy1244

Super Star Member
Tractor
They do offer foot controls too and you can use both

#2,647  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
We already have our eye on a couple implements. There is a power rake that I could all but wear out on my land. It is pricey, but less expensive than a skidsteer power rake. I cant wait to get the guide wheels and the hydraulic repair. There are lots of days when I am working on the house and Jefanna will ask of I need her. When I don’t she takes off with the Stihl combi and uses the string trimmer, pole saw and other attachments for hours. This thing will cut that work down so much and allow us to get the growth down so we know where we need to drag the box blade or use the excavator. We have some crazy slopes to mow and we can get those tightened up so management of them is more regular and I won’t feel like it always has to be me doing it. With this machine I don’t have to worry so much about her safety.
In addition to the power rake, i am thinking the stump grinder and a few other attachment would work wonders here. I have some trails I want to open up in the woods for 4 wheelers, and for easy walking to hunting areas.

Buppies

Tractor
Kubota L5240 Toro 60inch Z Master 21 inch walk behind Polaris 900 hunter edition 30in toro walk behind
They are fascinating machines always amazed at what they can do. Great purchase on your part

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
That is an awesome mower!!

#2,650  
OP
WoodChuckDad

WoodChuckDad

Veteran Member
Tractor
That is an awesome mower!!

It really is , and it is capable of so much more. I hope to be able to showcase some of the amazing things it can do. It also has a cat 1 3 point hitch which will come in quite handy as well. The limiting factor will be tractor weight which is only 1600 ish lbs. I was very pleased to have things work out the way they did.