My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
My wife was very pleased with them. We went with unfinished beams because we think it fits the farm much better. They are great looking and smell great. I was talking with my architect yesterday about the process of getting them in place. It is going to be an adventure.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #522  
The panel is five feet wide exactly. For the header to work, it needs to be 5,3”. So that it sits on the jack on each side. The jack is recessed into the next panel and flush with the osb skin. Does that description make sense?

Yes, after thinking some more that is exactly what I thought. You needed 1.5” longer on each end of the header. Hope not too much work to correct.
Just read further that you got them out before the glue dried, smart!!!

Will be down near you the 28th. Wish I had time to come over the Mt to see the build. Google maps says you are 70 minutes away from my in-laws.

Yes, after thinking some more that is exactly what I thought. You needed 1.5” longer on each end of the header. Hope not too much work to correct.
Just read further that you got them out before the glue dried, smart!!!

Will be down near you the 28th. Wish I had time to come over the Mt to see the build. Google maps says you are 70 minutes away from my in-laws.

You need to make time at some point. Its a circus right now but wont always be.

We are really looking forward to this weekend. I have an old friend coming out to hangout and lend a hand. I have a plan to try to be more efficient and I am hoping that by the end of Christmas holiday, that I will have built some good momentum.

I put together a video of the post and beam delivery.

Douglas Fir posts and beams delivered. 16,000 lbs of timbers for our DIY SIPs house Douglas Fir posts and beams delivered. 16,000 lbs of timbers for our DIY SIPs house - YouTube

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #525  

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #527  
Really skimmed through that one quickly. Beams look good all stacked there. Makes me excited to see them in place!!!

The learning curve is brutal. I have strugled much more with the SIPs than I expected. I got on the phone with the SIP's manufacturer and talked about the issues I am having and some of the things I could try. I also talked about something that I thought I was doing wrong. When you put two panels together that are joined by OSB splines, I was usi9ng foam to seal them in. They said to use the sip-seal on the spline and after the house is completed, go back to those joints, drill in to the center channel, everything foot or so and pump expanding foam in. I had seen the part a bout pumping in the foam but had not known what product to use when setting in the splines. I will try this today.
I also experienced some wall stretch on my first complete wall. Basicly, because I have not set the panels completely flush to each other, I have 3/4 inch more wall than foundation. I will be trimming the last panel today to correct that. This process is super slow. And before everyone says it, I know that I would be much closer to done if I had done conventional framing. I didn't, and you can't ride two horses with one backside. So onward we go. I'll try to put up a video later today that covers the last couple days of strife. I had my step son helping me yesterday. It was nice to have the extra hands.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #529  
I appreciate how open you are about the process. I've never worked with SIPS, or even seen them in person. I have learned that with everything that we do for the first time, it's painfully slow and frustrating.

Hoping that it gets better and you can quickly get past this part of the build.

Merry Christmas!!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #530  
Sooooo just a thought. Once you are finished with this cabin/mansion you could sell it and build again. With all of your new found knowledge you would be done in no time. No mistakes either cause you made them all on the first one.

Enjoy your building and don't beat yourself up too bad. You don't get better at building by not building. I applaud your gumption plus you take the time to film and edit your journey. I wouldn't have the patience for that.