My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #661  
Ahh the sip instructions. Today, we were working on the walls in the master bedroom. Yesterday we got chased off the job by rain. There were still some puddles of water on the foundation, and the wind was 12 mph with heavy gusts. The plans got blown away into a puddle and were probably there for an hour when they were found. They basically dissolved when we tried to pick them up. We set them in the truck to dry and tonight, while most people were watching a football game, I was piecing them back together with tape. This is the less glamorous side of building. But we got 12 panels installed today there is nothing left to build for walls, that doesn’t involve the post and beam. I took this picture tonight as I was cleaning up to leave. The lighting wasn’t great.
View attachment 639876

Wow man. 12 panels is a big deal. Congrats.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
Thanks, i will be contacting the company again today to see if they can send a digital copy. 12 panels sounds great. And it felt good. But last week was Zero panels. A combination of rain and the extensive jack system on the bedroom Wall made it a very slow process. Preparation Was key. and, my wife pointed out that we got 3 of the 12 done Saturday before the rain pushed us away.
This is the bedroom wall. It has 35 pieces to the jack system that went in it. 6x12 beams will nest in the top of that wall and support the roof. This wall was 9 panels.

IMG_5256.JPGi

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #665  
The great thing. When you are finished you will be able to sit back, relax and remember the GOOD days. The days where there were problems will fade. I certainly had some tough days building that cabin. That is a really beautiful home you are constructing.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #666  
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #667  
Well, lets see. Higher math here. I was born in '42 so that would have made me 34 years young in 1976. I was Director of Environmental Health, Municipality of Anchorage, Health Dept. 1965 until May, 1982.

The cabin was on five acres of land. Almost directly West of Anchorage - across Cook Inlet. Five and a half miles as the crow flies - fifty seven miles by "road". The last ten miles of this "road" only existed because folks occasionally drove out there. Access via 4WD in the summer - a ten mile snowmobile ride - these last ten miles - during the winter.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
Oosik, that is amazing. Is it still family owned?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #669  
When I graduated from the U of WA, the wife & I immediately drove to AK. It was a wonderful, wild, exciting country back then - still is. We expected to live, retire & expire in AK. As we got older, wiser - we realized that AK is a place for the young. The winters are so very long, it's so darn dark for a whole lot of the year. And I just could not get use to drinking all winter long.

So when we left AK, in '82, we sold it all. The cabin is still there and in use. There is now a paved road - right past the cabin site. There is now electricity out at the cabin site. It's just not the way it once was - but that's progress - I guess.

Take lots of pictures, hold tight to your experiences, share your daily joys with loved ones. They will serve you well in later years.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #670  
WoodChuckDad - yes, I do have a series of OLD pictures of the cabin we built in AK. Now, realize, this was some 45 years ago.

View attachment 639909View attachment 639910View attachment 639911View attachment 639912View attachment 639913

Very impressive! Especially with what I assume was a very limited set of tools and power back in 1976 compared to what we have access to these days with cheap portable generators and powerful battery operated tools.

Hard to imagine the remoteness and inaccessibility of something like that five decades ago.

Rob