My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,301  
I just installed a attic stairs ( Werner brand ) a few months ago. I shimmed all the sides just like you do a door ...to keep the edges straight for trim and more secure to the framing . Both ends have double headers. I prefer to have it lowered at 1/"2 so the drywall meets it . I don't like doing drywall where it meets the trim exposed. I want my trim laying over hiding the gap where drywall meets framing. The attic stair door is recessed 3 inches into the stair box frame....makes it look nicer in terms of exposure.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,302  
Did you leave the bottom of attic stairs frame 1/2” below so the drywall butts against it?

After reading thru, I am thinking that I might want to do 5 jam switches. 2 closets, the pantry and if I can rig it ip, both of the attic stairs.

As for the 1/2 inch and drywall I figure I can just put some trim there.

I posted another video today. With some cool helicopter footage from this week.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,303  
Putting trim around my pull down attic stairs is on my punch list to finish,

I “saw” one of those helicopters dragging a saw one time.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,304  
Thanks for the helicopter shots. Never seen something like that before.

Looks dangerous. I guess the pilot needs to pay full attention at all times!

Do the post signs or somehow tell folks when this is going to happen so some hiker doesn’t get a huge surprise?

MoKelly

#2,305  
Thanks for the helicopter shots. Never seen something like that before.

Looks dangerous. I guess the pilot needs to pay full attention at all times!

Do the post signs or somehow tell folks when this is going to happen so some hiker doesn’t get a huge surprise?

MoKelly

They sent out letters to all customers months ago, and they also called me to see if the helicopter could land in the field here to refuel. That would have been cool but they ended up landing about a mile away. They didn’t put ip signs though, and on “Nextdoor” —nextdoor.com— there has been lots of talk about it. People seeing the helicopter and wondering what the hanging thing is.
The gas company has a pipeline that runs across one corner of my land. They sent out letters last year because they were gonna do ariel spraying of glyphosate to keep the pipeline open and you could opt out if you wanted.

I will probably release just the helicopter footage on a separate video early this week. Mostly the same stuff I already loaded but targeting a different group of viewers.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,306  
That helicopter would have been really something to see in person!!!!!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,307  
The mount must somehow keep the saws oriented facing forward. From Wikipedia:

The design of the aerial saw is fairly simple. It involves ten two-foot diameter circular saw blades (normally seen in Table saws) mounted on a vertical shaft which is around twenty feet long. Those ten circular saw blades are driven by a 28 horsepower engine. The engine is able to run all ten blades at speeds up to four-thousand revolutions per minute (RPM). The shaft is then attached to a ninety-foot aluminum boom (or beam) then attached to the helicopter where the pilot can remotely control the saw.

#2,308  
Working thru my punch list of stuff that has to be done to get my next inspection.

#2,309  
After Distig burst my baloon about the extra joists, I figured I had better do it or deal with the inspectors.

I was working on the other side today. Making good progress.

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #2,310  
Sorry man, I'm not trying to tick you off, but every opening I have ever seen where you have to cut joists like you did has been doubled-up... Most often you see it with stairs as they always span multiple joists.

I see one of the commenters noted about blocking for drywall and other needs. I'm sure you still have abunch of that to do, though i don't know if the framing inspection will care or not. But you definitely want to get it in place prior to pulling too many wires as the wire will get in the way and cause you more grief. Look at every corner joint and ask yourself where the drywall will get screwed onto on both sides. If the answer for either side is thin air, add blocking. If you need to block both sides of an interior wall a 2x8 does a nice job of covering both sides in one board.