My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,691  
My guess is that the electrician doesn't want to deal with a lot of stiff wire in a box.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,692  
Why would anybody want you to remove a bigger wire that's already in place for a smaller wire that cannot handle as much power?

You can never go wrong with a bigger wire, it's just more expensive, but if it's already in place, you can easily run a 15 amp breaker on 12 gauge wire.
Agreed. I'd have a serious conversation with your electrician before replacing any #12 with #14. I can't think of any valid reason to do so.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,694  
Why would anybody want you to remove a bigger wire that's already in place for a smaller wire that cannot handle as much power?

You can never go wrong with a bigger wire, it's just more expensive, but if it's already in place, you can easily run a 15 amp breaker on 12 gauge wire.

Fill ratio is one reason, can put more #14 than #12 in the box. Or, put in larger box. I would not change wiring down unless absolutely necessary.

I use #12 for receptacle circuits, #14 for lighting. And I don’t mix them. I also put in more than code requires. I also don’t use switched receptacles for lights, I have ceiling fans in almost every room.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,696  
I haven’t had time to digest all the pump talk, like csv, but find it interesting. Thanks for the input. I want to learn some more for the next time.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,697  

Likely because working with 12 in a box is more difficult.

I always try to get the widest and deepest box I can make work for the application because I hate trying to nicely stash 12ga wire into them.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,698  
I agree that 12 gauge wire is harder to work with, but it's not really that much harder. Can an electrician really be so lazy that he refuses to work with 12 gauge wire?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,700  
And if you want to use some of the new WiFi electrical switches, you need the neutral in the switch box. Sometimes they will only bring the hot wire to the switch box. Not all white wires will be neutral.