My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,761  
Heck, I’ve been wanting to come help you, but never seem to find the time to get my stuff done. You know how it is, there’s no shortage of work.
If you see a strange red car coming down your drive, don’t shoot me. maybe Saturday morning?
WCD get some pictures of him there on Saturday helping you out. Jon

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,762  
When you start getting more than a couple wires running in one place you need some of these to stack them up and keep them away from the edges of the studs. What you showed had wires too close to the edge and they risk damage from drywall screws.

You can find similar ones at any electrical supply store/big box.

You can also stack 2 wires under a staple. And use a hammer, not linesman pliers to pound the staple nails!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,763  
I’m coming down skyline Friday, then blue ridge parkway Saturday. Hope to go thru the blue ridge tunnel Saturday morning.

Darn it. I didn’t see the Saturday Morning part till just now. Yeah, I will be there. Shoot me a PM.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,764  
Close

IMG_2109.JPG

#2,765  
I have not had the week I thought I was going to have. I took two days off this week. One was to see an accountant who I was hiring to handle some estate business. I planned to go to the build afterwards. The second day was to be for taxes and paper work. After the accountant, I stopped at lowes and bought a new drill and struck up a conversation, asking if the ever carried the 200 psi well pipe. They directed me to vamac so I stopped there and bought several rolls of pipe as well as fittings. Also got some good info about the propane pipe. Which they carry.
On the way home I got a text from my landlord letting me know that he accepted an offer on the farm and was closing Dec 15. Which means I have to move. Naturally my wife freaked out. What are we gonna do conversations. To which I responded “ we are gonna move.” We have been examining our options. First glance of available rentals showed 1 that wasn’t in the city. It had been listed for 2 days. We looked at it and liked it. I said I wanted to sign a lease. He said he had more people coming this weekend who were going to look at it and then he would evaluate the offers. I filled out an application and paid my credit inspection fee but we didn’t stop looking. We looked at 5!more places we found by digging deeper in the online rental market. We also started looking at campers and talking about just moving to the build site next to where the tool trailer is. The more we looked at houses the more we liked the trailer idea.
Realistically we are 4-6 months away at least. Living on site would push us.

We also had decided we didnt like the first place as much anymore. Had they accepted my request to lease we would have loved it and moved. The whole thing of Sitting on my application for a week and getting back to me didn’t age well. By yesterday we decided we were not moving there and today I emailed and withdrew my application.

Last night we drove by a place that on the map didnt look like a good area.
And the pictures online were just ok. We loved it and sent a text to the realtor. Then later we realized it was not Pet friendly. Back home and back to looking for campers.
I never worked on my taxes, and my 2 days off involved repeated calls for me to do work (9 hours of it). And even a change order late Wednesday night. Btw. Change management is the bane of my existence.
I am tired and looking forward to doing some work on the house this weekend.

#2,766  
Also, most of my well parts have arrived. The pump is heavy. Really heavy as is the pipe and the electric wire. The word wire suggests something thin and lite. It is a 4 wire cable. 10 g. Heavy as heck. It was expensive and so was shipping.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,767  
Life is never boring, is it?

Best of luck on the rental situation. If you can swing the camper situation I think that would probably be a great solution (if I were in your shoes).

Rob

#2,768  
Life is never boring, is it?

Best of luck on the rental situation. If you can swing the camper situation I think that would probably be a great solution (if I were in your shoes).

Rob

No. I may die, but it darned sure wont be of boredom.

I would prefer the camper. Like anything else, selection is limited but they do come on the market, I just don’t have a long time to look around. The pain point of a camper is getting it up there, getting set up so we could make it thru the winter, storing things we currently have in the house we live in and figuring out laundry.
Waking up there always made me happy when we had a camper there before. We currently have a 1/2 hour drive each way from where we live to the build site. Eliminating that would be wonderful. Making it longer would be a drag.
But, we are not full time builders/homesteaders. We work regular jobs and both of us put in more than 40 hours a week. Managing our lives from a camper would be difficult, But doable. If we found a house, it would be the easy button. We would not have to put more things into storage and all the amenities are usually right there.
So there is a balance of expense both up front and long run. Convenience of location vs pre-established infrastructure.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,769  
Your plate went from full to overflowing ! Sucks that all this is happening now when the winter season is close starting. I would opt for getting a trailer, since you would only need it for maybe 6 months. The cold winter weather will slow you down. Look online at ' rvtrader', they have many campers/trailers for sale. We have used this site for rv rentals. Good luck on your search and getting re-settled !You guys have to take care of yourselves first !!

Outdoorsy: Trusted RV rental marketplace​

https://www.outdoorsy.com

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,770  
Sorry to hear that you have to find a new place to live. I grew up RVing and my parents just sold their last motorhome a few years ago. I can't think of worse place to live in winter. They are great when the temps are mild, but they are not insulated very well and it's always a struggle to keep them warm in winter.

Since your house is sealed in, why not get the water and power connected? that would take two weekends. Set the toilet, and focus on getting the shower done. You really don't need anything else. Water can come from a temporary sink. a folding table works for a kitchen with a microwave. A fridge can go anywhere, and laundry doesn't take anything to connect. Once you have the basics done, you can spend the rest of your time moving everything and getting settled in.

Don't spend any time finishing anything off, just get the house so you can survive in there. This can easily be done before your deadline. I'd probably put a sheet of plastic over the bathroom so you can heat it with a plug in heater, but otherwise, just do what you need to use it, and don't spend any time making it nice. Do that when you are not rushed.

Then focus on one room at a time. Finish the master bedroom first. Then move into there and work on another room. Go from room to room, and it will go quickly.

I've done this twice. First time was when I got divorced and I didn't have any water hooked up inside the building. Just a hose outside to drink out of, and bath from. It was a good motivator to get things done!!!!! Second time I had 4 months to clear the land, bring power and water in, and build my house. I worked by myself and I was living there in 4 months, but I only had one spare bedroom done and a bathroom. It took me 2 more months to finish off the interior, and ten years later, I'm still working on the exterior. I could finish it at any time, but we keep making changes and adding on, plus I get distracted and do other projects that come up. It's very doable with the time you have available.