My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,311  
I see you finally got some cable stacker clamps. Those are a godsend for multiple cable runs in a stud bay. (y)

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,312  
I see you finally got some cable stacker clamps. Those are a godsend for multiple cable runs in a stud bay. (y)

Yeah. They only had that one type. But it seems to be doing the job. Organizing wire is a challenge.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,313  
There is a place in Maryland that has used above ground 250 and 320 for reasonable price. They have underground 500 that would require pressure wash and repaint (and nee anode bag) for 1500. Last week it was 1400. That would be 6.5 hours of driving round trip and I am not sure if there are any weird rules for crossing state lines with a used propane tank.

Are these tanks refurbished ? Since you want to have your own tank do the propane suppliers you would need to get have requirements on the condition of the tanks you want to use ? Are these tanks empty ? Not sure if you can transport tanks with propane in them ?

Maybe get the 320 gallon tank to start with ? Looks like you are not going to need a tank bigger than 500 gal.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,314  
For me, a house that requires a fan to prevent one room being too hot and another being too cold is unacceptable. If acceptable then it better have been very cheap to build. If I'm in the $100 p/square foot cost or higher, then no fans required.
Lol. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but thats a kinda funny hill to die on.

My house (~$160 per sq ft to build in 2015) is heated exclusively with a modest Napoleon 1450 woodstove located centrally. With a mostly open floor plan, we just have two high mounted ceiling fans that run on low (the BigAss fan is under 10 watts) and the bedrooms tend to stay just a couple degrees behind the living room. No one gets roasted out of any room, just terrific, radiant warm heating for almost free.

I'd much rather have some ceiling fans running on silent, low speed than listen to a central HVAC fan clumsily blowing as it cycles on and off all the time, blowing hot dry air in your face. But really though, whats the difference? a fan is a fan.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,315  
WoodChuckDad Are you planning on a few ceiling fans or similar in your great room? I think it would be a good idea to help push the heat back down.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,316  
Lol. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but thats a kinda funny hill to die on.

My house (~$160 per sq ft to build in 2015) is heated exclusively with a modest Napoleon 1450 woodstove located centrally. With a mostly open floor plan, we just have two high mounted ceiling fans that run on low (the BigAss fan is under 10 watts) and the bedrooms tend to stay just a couple degrees behind the living room. No one gets roasted out of any room, just terrific, radiant warm heating for almost free.

I'd much rather have some ceiling fans running on silent, low speed than listen to a central HVAC fan clumsily blowing as it cycles on and off all the time, blowing hot dry air in your face. But really though, whats the difference? a fan is a fan.
No one dieing on a hill here.

So you don't have fans moving hot air to cold rooms? So your house doesn't represent the house I talked about?

Our HVAC only runs to supply heat during moderate times. And it doesn't blow hot dry air in our faces at all. Your BigAss fan will cause much, much more breeze than our HVAC does. And you would sit in our living room and never know whether the HVAC was running or not.

Nothing is free in heating. Especially wood burning.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,317  
I... do have fans moving hot air to cold rooms. The ceiling fans are precisely for that. We also run a pedestal fan down the hallway when it's extra cold and cloudy outside (if it's sunny, the house heats itself nice and evenly - passive solar). NBD.

Just thought your statement about what cost point allows for fans or not was kinda funny. No matter how much my house cost to build, thats how I would want to heat it; a central woodstove with gentle fans to help circulate the heat.

#3,318  
WoodChuckDad Are you planning on a few ceiling fans or similar in your great room? I think it would be a good idea to help push the heat back down.

I am planning for fans. My wife doesn’t want them and keeps choosing undersized fans which I veto. I am not installing them right away. I am just going to run an extra line and terminate it in a box up in the high corner. That way it is ready to go when she decides we need a fan.

#3,319  
Are these tanks refurbished ? Since you want to have your own tank do the propane suppliers you would need to get have requirements on the condition of the tanks you want to use ? Are these tanks empty ? Not sure if you can transport tanks with propane in them ?

Maybe get the 320 gallon tank to start with ? Looks like you are not going to need a tank bigger than 500 gal.

The tanks have been emptied. I found the transportation rules. Can be moved with 5% or less capacity in it. Must be marked flammable on each end and strapped with two cargo straps. Pretty simple. If you buy one at a residence that has propane in it you have to get a vendor to come out and recover the fuel. It can be done. Just a lot of dancing involved. Need to make sure the ASME tag is legible and have it installed properly.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,320  
I... do have fans moving hot air to cold rooms. The ceiling fans are precisely for that. We also run a pedestal fan down the hallway when it's extra cold and cloudy outside (if it's sunny, the house heats itself nice and evenly - passive solar). NBD.

Just thought your statement about what cost point allows for fans or not was kinda funny. No matter how much my house cost to build, thats how I would want to heat it; a central woodstove with gentle fans to help circulate the heat.
No argument here. So you do uniformly heat your house with fans moving air.

As to heating costs. I've been in my house and shop 3 years this month. My wife is a meticulous book keeper. I asked her to give me the heating cost numbers. We've burned $4,350 in propane. That heats 4,320 square ft in two buildings. 1872 in the shop. 2,448 in the house. I used to burn wood in my shop. Not anymore.