My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,321  
I am planning for fans. My wife doesn’t want them and keeps choosing undersized fans which I veto. I am not installing them right away. I am just going to run an extra line and terminate it in a box up in the high corner. That way it is ready to go when she decides we need a fan.
Yes. You should. Too late to add circuits later without a hassle.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,322  
I bought a brand new 500 Gallon above ground Tank today. $2710 plus tax

I pick it up in Richmond next week.

I ended up calling an 800 number of a national company and one of their sales people in New Jersey was more than happy to make the sale to my business. Slapped it on my Credit card and got an invoice before they could change their mind. I will keep tally of all the expenses I incur to get it fully installed and give an update when I am done.

#3,323  
No argument here. So you do uniformly heat your house with fans moving air.

As to heating costs. I've been in my house and shop 3 years this month. My wife is a meticulous book keeper. I asked her to give me the heating cost numbers. We've burned $4,350 in propane. That heats 4,320 square ft in two buildings. 1872 in the shop. 2,448 in the house. I used to burn wood in my shop. Not anymore.

Do you no longer burn wood because it is just cheaper to burn propane?
I love my wood burning stove. I love the warmth of the fire and feeling of self reliance. Part or it is the “free heat”.
Now I know that isn’t true. I own 5 chainsaws. I put fuel in them and spend time cutting wood and splitting it. But everything I cut and burn is either deadfall or standing dead trees.
I can’t keep up with the trees that fall but in the next two years I will probably cut about 10 cord and split and stack it. Eventually I wont be physically able do all that. But I built the house to be able to survive power outages without having to worry about freezing to death.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,324  
Do you no longer burn wood because it is just cheaper to burn propane?
I love my wood burning stove. I love the warmth of the fire and feeling of self reliance. Part or it is the “free heat”.
Now I know that isn’t true. I own 5 chainsaws. I put fuel in them and spend time cutting wood and splitting it. But everything I cut and burn is either deadfall or standing dead trees.
I can’t keep up with the trees that fall but in the next two years I will probably cut about 10 cord and split and stack it. Eventually I wont be physically able do all that. But I built the house to be able to survive power outages without having to worry about freezing to death.
Maybe it is because of the number of times firewood warms you up, before you actually burn it?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,326  
This was going around when I was a kid in the 70s -- my dad kept a copy next to our stove in the basement:

Save $$$?
Heat with Wood

First year costs:

2 stoves and installation $1385.
Removal of hot water baseboard and boiler $238.
Search for reputable wood dealer N/A $76.
Chain saw $210.
Ax, wedges, maul, cant hook, etc. $119.
Old truck (junk after 1st load) $595.
Newer truck $8645.
Tire chains $88.
Replace truck's rear window (twice) $310.
Fine for cutting wrong trees $500.
5-acre woodlot $4995.
Splitting machine $950.
14 cases of beer $126.
6 fifths ginger brandy $38.
Fine for littering $250.
Towing charge (brook to road) $50.
Gas, oil, files, Band-aids $97.
Doctor's fee (sawdust in eye) $45.
Medical cost for broken toe (dropped log) $128.
Safety shoes $35.
Attempt to fix burned hole in carpet $76.
New living room carpet $699.
Paint living room $110.
Taxes on woodlot $44.
Woodlot boundary dispute settlement $465.
Roof repair after chimney fire $840.
Fine for assaulting fireman $50.
Extension ladder $55.
Chimney brush $22.
Medical fee for broken leg (fell off roof) $478.
Chimney cleaning service $90.
Replace coffee table (chopped up and burned while too drunk to bring firewood up from cellar) $79.
Divorce settlement $14,500.
EXPENSES $36,388

Sale of hot water boiler system $125.
Fuel oil savings $376.
CREDITS $501.

NET COST OF FIRST YEAR WOOD BURNING OPERATION; $35,887.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,327  
That's about right.:D

#3,328  
Fortunately that has not been my experience. Although I did nearly fall off the roof at my previous house. My first year at that house I was paying $300 a month in electric and $300 a month in natural gas to heat a house that was only about 2100-2300 square feet. Terribly insulated and drafty. I didn’t think I was going to be able to keep the house so out of desperation we bought a used fireplace insert wood-stove. I already owned a 14 inch Poulan chainsaw that I had bought as storm prep for a tropical storm. I’ve bought 5 chainsaws since then. And a splitter and a truck. Maybe it has been like that.

#3,329  
Crazy rain storms last night. Lots of roads washed out and our pond is riding high.
. Dropped a new video this morning.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,330  
I think I read somewhere on this site that carpet padding can be used to help keep you from slipping on a metal roof.