My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,382  
Eddie, I have a lot of video O shot this week that still needs to be edited. Hoping some good Ventrac footage. Lots of times when I think something will look good I have to cut it because it just doesn’t convey well on camera.
I started a little bit of blocking yesterday for the drywall. I am wondering if I can use half inch OSB since I have a decent amount of scrap. Logically it seems like I should be able to.
Anybody have advice on that? Any good reasons not to?
My daughter is visiting, I am on vacation, and my day job has been calling me regularly so I was unable to get a video together this past weekend.

Here is the latest.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,383  
Loved the flowers in the intro.

Didn’t know there was a tool to cut the BX, I always use snips, but I only used it one place.

Little at a time.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,384  
I started a little bit of blocking yesterday for the drywall. I am wondering if I can use half inch OSB since I have a decent amount of scrap. Logically it seems like I should be able to.
Anybody have advice on that? Any good reasons not to?
I have never used OSB or plywood to attach ceiling sheetrock to. I've never seen it done in any house that I've been in, and I've been in quite a few attics. The most common thing used is a 2x6 on the flat so it overhangs both sides of the top plate. I've seen 2x8's used too, and sometimes 2x4's.

Just guessing, I would be worried about sagging, or movement from OSB or Plywood. If you do the ceiling first, then the wall sheetrock should lock it into position, but I wouldn't do it.

One of the biggest mistakes that I deal with is half inch sheetrock used on the ceiling with joists 24 inches on center. You have to use 5/8's sheetrock for that big of a span on the ceiling. If 1/2 inch is used, it will sag over time, and the screw heads will show when the light is just right.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,385  
I have never used OSB or plywood to attach ceiling sheetrock to. I've never seen it done in any house that I've been in, and I've been in quite a few attics. The most common thing used is a 2x6 on the flat so it overhangs both sides of the top plate. I've seen 2x8's used too, and sometimes 2x4's.

Just guessing, I would be worried about sagging, or movement from OSB or Plywood. If you do the ceiling first, then the wall sheetrock should lock it into position, but I wouldn't do it.

One of the biggest mistakes that I deal with is half inch sheetrock used on the ceiling with joists 24 inches on center. You have to use 5/8's sheetrock for that big of a span on the ceiling. If 1/2 inch is used, it will sag over time, and the screw heads will show when the light is just right.
2x6 if only used on one side of wall. Full length of wall. You can “try” to hang a 2x4 off the edge……

2x8 if overhanging both sides of wall.

I’ve seen 1/2” drywall on 24” centers….lots of sagging and screw/nail pops.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,386  
I wouldn’t think of using osb for that.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,387  
Just my 2 cents on the OSB, as blocking, I don’t think your drywall crew will appreciate it. I may be wrong but think it will be harder to get drywall screws to “bite” into it.

Mike

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,388  
Late to the party.
Why the OSB on interior walls?
Saw the dryer video and looks like SIP's on exterior walls.

#3,389  
Late to the party.
Why the OSB on interior walls?
Saw the dryer video and looks like SIP's on exterior walls.

Osb on shear walls. And also on my closet so I can hang things on the wall.

I appreciate the feed back everyone gave on the osb for blocking.

#3,390  
I am roughing in boxes today. My fingers are gonna fall off.

Dropped a video this morning. Little bit of tractor work and some electrical.