My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,481  
I didn’t realize they make so many different ones. Costco has the megalite model.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,482  
Correction, the old ladder is a Werner

As for the many types of Little Giant, I didn’t know they had so many either. I have one of the 4 foot green ones as a step ladder for the kitchen. Rock solid.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,483  
It when you mentioned the price difference it made me look and I see that 2020 code changes it to to a gfci breaker for a/c Which is sold out at the big box stores.
Fun. I guess I will call Meyers on Monday.
What was the code before 2020? I an asking because my building permit was from before that and I think I could use the old standard if I had to. The building inspector manager who reinstated my build permit mentioned that it was not fair to expect the inspectors to know old code. I will just call and ask Monday if I can’t find the Breakers I need.
Well that’s news to me, but I am admittedly not as up to date these days since I’m mostly retired. A little research leads me to believe thar either the county isn’t enforcing that or hasn’t adopted the 2020 code, it used to be that they were three years or so behind. Also seems like it’s for 120 volt circuits, not 240 volt as most hard wired mini splits require. I also find the statement from the head inspector puzzling, since it used to be that you were only required to adhere to the code in use at the time you got your permit. Otherwise, there might be something installed at the beginning of the build that would be quite difficult to change to meet a new code requirement. The code generally changes in relatively small increments and the inspectors are quite aware of what those changes are, so I don’t see how that’s unfair to them. Anyway, you‘re correct, a call to the inspections department is in order.

#3,484  
Well that’s news to me, but I am admittedly not as up to date these days since I’m mostly retired. A little research leads me to believe thar either the county isn’t enforcing that or hasn’t adopted the 2020 code, it used to be that they were three years or so behind. Also seems like it’s for 120 volt circuits, not 240 volt as most hard wired mini splits require. I also find the statement from the head inspector puzzling, since it used to be that you were only required to adhere to the code in use at the time you got your permit. Otherwise, there might be something installed at the beginning of the build that would be quite difficult to change to meet a new code requirement. The code generally changes in relatively small increments and the inspectors are quite aware of what those changes are, so I don’t see how that’s unfair to them. Anyway, you‘re correct, a call to the inspections department is in order.

I spent some time reading last night as well. It looks like VA is on their 2018 code which they adopted in 2021 and which is 2017 NEC so I believe I am good to go. I just grabbed some dual pole breakers, 40 and 45 amp. I already have a couple 30’s at home. It will be nice to get this knocked out and off my list.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,486  
Yeah the actual ADOPTED code version tends to lag from the current published versions as it takes time for states to work through it and sort it out and incorporate it into their statutes (and sometimes decide that they are not going to adopt some stupid clause that was added - happened a lot when they added sprinklers to the international building code, for example). That was one of my first questions to my inspector: What version of the codes are we on? I needed to know so I could make sure to meet the right one.

#3,488  
I had planned to install the CSST propane Line today. I was on my way to the farm when I got a call from the trucking company, telling me they wanted to schedule a delivery. My wife works in shipping: logistics so she had insisted that I do LTL instead of a freight to door delivery. It saved about 600 dollars until you factor in my time and two trips to the trucking place. This time was good, and the packages looked great on their pallets and I opened all three compressors and two of the 18 k condensers. Rain was coming in quick so I figured I would take a chance that the other items looked as good as the boxes they were in in. I will be going thru the boxes tonight.

They are all stashed in our basement right now. So while they are doing the drywall, we will be pouring cement for the three pads, and then I will begin the install of the compressors. Depending on how long it takes them and me, my plan is to install the big 36k unit and paint the walls, hang the condensers as soon as possible so that we will have a comfortable house to work in while we scramble to get finished.

IMG_7667.jpg

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #3,489  
Cooooool !! I have used LTL numerous times...no complaints other than you have to get it unloaded wherever they can get the truck to ! I have seen numerous off gridders i follow use the Mr. Cool system.....

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,490  
I've done multiple LTL freight deliveries and just picked up in the FedEx freight yard. Orders from EverythingAttachments and Messick's. Freight yard will bring it out and load onto pickup or trailer and then you just slide out of the way and secure your load in the yard somewhere.

Much easier and cheaper than paying extra and trying to offload on or near a back country unpaved road. I would never hesitate to do it this way; plus it's easier to refuse a load that way.