My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,511  
I don’t follow Mike, but I’ve watched probably 30-40 of his videos and I’ve never seen one promotion. But he does have some nice equipment.

Now I need to watch the WV guy, I used to own some mountaintop land down near him. Mike just bought property in WV also and is starting to develop it.

I took a course in video production many years ago when it was done on tape. It takes a lot of time to produce good video. Just staging the camera’s for the shots take a lot of time.

I’m amazed at the amount of work Woodchuckdad is getting done, all while recording and documenting it for the world to critique. I visited his build. He tried to record me and I was like a deer in the headlights, he wisely did not use that footage.
But he and his wife are doing a great job, what a beautiful place.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,512  
I don’t follow Mike, but I’ve watched probably 30-40 of his videos and I’ve never seen one promotion. But he does have some nice equipment.

Now I need to watch the WV guy, I used to own some mountaintop land down near him. Mike just bought property in WV also and is starting to develop it.

I took a course in video production many years ago when it was done on tape. It takes a lot of time to produce good video. Just staging the camera’s for the shots take a lot of time.

I’m amazed at the amount of work Woodchuckdad is getting done, all while recording and documenting it for the world to critique. I visited his build. He tried to record me and I was like a deer in the headlights, he wisely did not use that footage.
But he and his wife are doing a great job, what a beautiful place.

You did fine. I should have done another couple takes to get it right but that was the day we found out we had to move from our old rental. I was overwhelmed at the time. I am still overwhelmed because The calendar is flying out from under me. I feel lime we are getting close but it kind of freaks me out.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,513  
We appreciated the time you took to show us around. Building is stressful enough, having to suddenly move during a build is a lot more, but you are persevering and will get it done. It’s tough working full time and build a house yourself. I know because I did it. My lovely wife helped me stand walls and did whatever she could with a 1 year old at the time. It takes a lot more time to record as you go, then to edit and put together the final video. We sure have enjoyed watching the build videos.

There’s things I missed getting even a picture of on my house.

You won’t believe the difference once drywall is done.
Last October we hiked thru the crozet tunnel that we found out about from your video.
This October we have tickets for a dinner train from Staunton, up over the mountain to near Charlottesville and return. I hope I can still go because I’m starting a new job the week before.

#3,514  
That dinner train sounds awesome. I need details.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,515  
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #3,516  
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #3,517  
I would imagine it is beautiful in the fall with the leaves turning !

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,518  
It will have an overhang.
Best thing one can do for one's exterior walls and to keep a place cool in summer is overhangs. for the life of me I don't understand why they went out of style.

And when you do see them it seems no one is doing a proper drop gable overhang they just nail on some faux nonsense.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,519  
I do all my filming with Go Pros. When we finally move in I will add a nicer camera hut right now they get the crap beat out of them and I don’t know if things will ever slow down enough for me to get very fancy with filming.

What's your opinion of the GoPros after having so much experience under your belt? I bought two Hero 8 models for Youtube use, and while I like how they operate, I found battery life to be terrible (35-40 minutes at 1080/30fps) and the cameras will often overheat and shut down in the middle of use, especially on a sunny day. Prior to that I had been using an old iPhone for recording and it was bulletproof. Am I missing something? I might return the GoPros since they were $300 each and the issues have been frustrating.

#3,520  
I had a go Pro7 an 8 and a 10. I gave the 8 to my daughter. I use the 7 with an external battery pack for time lapse and also If I need a backup camera. The 10 is much better than the 8 for battery life but will still overheat in the sun. Making them black might be cool but they get hot fast. They also shut off in extreme cold. They came out with a special battery for cold weather. I suspect it just creates more heat when discharging. Like most tech devices, There is some give and take for anything. Shooting with my phone is reserved for emergencies since you run out of memory fast and getting the videos off the phone can be a bit of a pain if they are long. I don’t have any experience with anything else so I cant compare to anything.