My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,521  
It looks to be a beautiful day shaping up for work on the house.
I dropped the video from the night I broke my nose. It is not on film, as the battery had died. My headaches have stopped and my nose is healing up pretty well as ling as I don’t forget and tub my face. A habit I didn’t know I had till now.

#3,522  
Forgot the link

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,523  
I had a go Pro7 an 8 and a 10. I gave the 8 to my daughter. I use the 7 with an external battery pack for time lapse and also If I need a backup camera. The 10 is much better than the 8 for battery life but will still overheat in the sun. Making them black might be cool but they get hot fast. They also shut off in extreme cold. They came out with a special battery for cold weather. I suspect it just creates more heat when discharging. Like most tech devices, There is some give and take for anything. Shooting with my phone is reserved for emergencies since you run out of memory fast and getting the videos off the phone can be a bit of a pain if they are long. I don’t have any experience with anything else so I cant compare to anything.

Thanks. The last video I made, I slung a greasy (formerly white) rag over the GoPro and it made it the whole way without overheating, so I think the dark color of the camera definitely doesn't help when it's sunny out. I have looked at reviews for all the other action cam brands and they all seem to suffer from poor battery life and overheating, so I don't think there is anything better out there. The GoPros are so common for Youtube use I figured they would be an improvement, but I am starting to think my old iPhone is maybe the best option for now (main downside is that it's challenging to mount in odd situations, but on a tripod it's fine). Really the feature I like best about the GoPro is that their app lets me see and control the camera from a short distance, which is a big plus.

#3,524  
well I didn't get far today. I was taking the housing off the CSST gas line with a new pocket knife....should have used a razor knife. The knife slipped and slid into the back of my hand and we were off to the ER to get me stitched up. I thought I was hurt a lot worse that I really was. I have not watched it on video yet. Once again I got lucky but I need to get it together because this is eating up time and energy.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,525  
well I didn't get far today. I was taking the housing off the CSST gas line with a new pocket knife....should have used a razor knife. The knife slipped and slid into the back of my hand and we were off to the ER to get me stitched up. I thought I was hurt a lot worse that I really was. I have not watched it on video yet. Once again I got lucky but I need to get it together because this is eating up time and energy.

Oh no. Hope it heals quick.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,526  
OUCH ! It would be safe to say that most of us have been to the ER for construction battle wounds ! After looking back at many of my big wounds it was due to being tired but ignored it as the job was so close to ending for the day !!

Take it easy and follow nurse Jeffana's instructions ! I could see was shaken aliitle when you broke your nose !!

#3,527  
Today we finished the TracPipe CSST gas line. Pressure tested to 20 lbs for 30 minutes with no pressure loss. A very good day, all things considered. We started excavating the drain lines to the septic tank to put in a T and pressure test. The two sides of my house are independent of each other for dwv, so we have to do it on each side. I will be doing a wet test on both sides. Cross your fingers for me.

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #3,528  
Man, the snout, then the hand.

When we get in a hurry (I would being killing myself to get done as long as you have been working), and tired (probably speaks for itself) we get sloppy.

Gota force yourself to slow down, new house won't be as much fun if you put an eye out:)

Hang in there,

ed

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,529  
I was going to say something earlier when you were pressurizing the PEX tubing, but it was too late as you were done. Air and water do not behave the same as a fluid, and you need to be aware of it. Air is of course a gas and compressible whereas water is considered incompressible. Air is also MUCH lower viscosity than water and as a result can generate far higher hydrostatic forces at the same pressure as water. It has been waaay too many years since those classes, but air at 50 psi puts a lot more force on things than water at 50 psi. I know it seems wrong as "pressure is pressure" right? I forget the details but it has to do with fluid dynamics and as a result you can get into trouble by using high air pressures to test water lines. Things can blow. Maybe someone with more than a basic intro to fluids 35 yrs ago can chime in here.

My point being that when you pressure test your drain lines, do not crank up the air to 60 psi or anything close. 15-20 psi is plenty to see if things are holding or not. Drain lines can't handle pressure like PEX can either, so be judicious in the air pressure you use...

#3,530  
I was going to say something earlier when you were pressurizing the PEX tubing, but it was too late as you were done. Air and water do not behave the same as a fluid, and you need to be aware of it. Air is of course a gas and compressible whereas water is considered incompressible. Air is also MUCH lower viscosity than water and as a result can generate far higher hydrostatic forces at the same pressure as water. It has been waaay too many years since those classes, but air at 50 psi puts a lot more force on things than water at 50 psi. I know it seems wrong as "pressure is pressure" right? I forget the details but it has to do with fluid dynamics and as a result you can get into trouble by using high air pressures to test water lines. Things can blow. Maybe someone with more than a basic intro to fluids 35 yrs ago can chime in here.

My point being that when you pressure test your drain lines, do not crank up the air to 60 psi or anything close. 15-20 psi is plenty to see if things are holding or not. Drain lines can't handle pressure like PEX can either, so be judicious in the air pressure you use...

We pressure tested the waste pipes with air before cement was poured. This time I am doing a water stack. Because I have vent all the way thru the roof, it would be a royal pain to seal everything and pressurize it. Digging up the lines in the yard sucks just by itself.