My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,832  
Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving. I was taping off beams for painting today. Actually connecting a sink tomorrow. Cold water only, but exciting , none the less.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,833  
Hope you'all had a great Thanksgiving ! Nice to see the daughter joining you guys ...hope she is feeling better and progressing well !

I have always built our own cabinets of any kind as i have always had a complete woodshop. I have built 6 new kitchens over the years for my fav cook ! Always use cabinet grade plywood for the boxes and hardwood for the frames and doors. I do not like MDF...it just doesn't hold up and hard to attach hardware that will work loose over time.

Maybe go to a local cabinetmaker and see what they can do for you ? Probably a long lead time though.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,834  
When you make your own cabinets, what do you use for the doors? For the last few years, the trend for kitchen cabinets here in East Texas has been to paint them grey or white. They are almost always Shaker Style, and made out of MDF. In my opinion, they are the cheapest doors to make, and they use the cheapest materials possible. But since it's what's in fashion right now, everyone wants the exact same thing. The one advantage to MDF is how well it paints.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,835  
IMG_6855.JPG
IMG_6855.JPG

I made all my kitchen cabinets, including the raised panel fronts. Base boxes are 3/4” veneer, wall cabinets are 1/2” veneer. All sides recessed 1/4” into each other. Solid oak fronts and doors.
I’d show the whole kitchen but too messy.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,838  
I have been going everyday and editing a video has been far down the list. I put this one out today. I need to change my format a little to get caught up.

You have the GUTS of ******. Walking around on a metal roof at night and climbing around on ladders and scaffolding.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,839  
I build similar to how Buckeye described. I use prefinished maple 3/4" cabinet ply for the cases for base units and 1/2" cabinet ply for uppers of the same species as the finish wood to match. Frame and panel doors and here I did flat front drawers, but those can be frame and panel too.

Buckeye - did you sand those? I can still see the planer marks in the false front at the sink. I've never been able to get away without sanding even for cope and stick doors as there always seems to be some slight mismatch that would bug me down the road.

Here's a shot
Backsplash tile complete (2) (Large).jpg

Backsplash tile day 1 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,840  
I had a wood shop. But about 18 years ago, my wife convinced me to hire a cabinet maker for a kitchen renovation. The cabinets were fantastic. Sapele shaker cabinets with lots of drawers I spent $40k on that kitchen. a friend and coworker bought the house and loves it. But I’m bot trying to drop that kind of coin, or wait months. I still have my Unisaw, joiner, drill presses and joiner but the truth is I should sell them all because I dont have a shop and wont have one gore years to come.
We bought cabinets that are plywood carcass and mdf doors. White shaker. I like shaker because it is basic and timeless