My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,251  
Nah, Jefanna is all about the patina of aged copper. She was even looking up ways to artificially age it. I said tonleave it alone and it will discolor fast enough.
The patina of aged copper is different than the black or green color copper pipe changes too when exposed to a humid environment. This is why GI's used to spend so much time polishing the copper plumbing in latrines or bathrooms.

"Due to its unique chemical structure, copper oxidation speeds up when exposed to oxygen, humidity, salty air, or acidic compounds. This oxidation process forms a layer on the outer surface of copper known as 'tarnish' which changes the color from reddish-brown to black or green shades."

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,252  
I am sure she will figure out a way to clean it and if it ever gets to bad she will ask me to replace it. She isn’t afraid to have me do work.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,253  
Sounds like you need more items on your Honey Do List

1679161946840.png

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,254  
I can fit a single gang box under the window for inspection. Unnecessary amount of outlets though. My wife is a minimalist. Nothing gets left on the counter except fruit and vegetables. We may put a knife block up because we currently use a wall magnet and there isn’t much wall to work with. In the future I will build a large worktable in the kitchen that will have no outlets. I know an island requires outlets but I had an island the size of a grand piano in my last house, with a sink, and the only outlet was for the wine fridge. I never missed having an outlet. We use a microwave regularly. Mostly to reheat coffee or leftovers. We use a toaster. I have a blender that I use occasionally and put back in a cabinet as soon as I am done. I had a Bosch mixer that I used for bread and pizza dough in our last house. Always put it away when I was done. It was as strong as the large Quisenart mixers but smaller footprint. I loaded the pantry with outlets to accommodate recharging of vacuum and powering dehydrator or any other thing that she takes a fancy to, but most of them will never have something plugged in to them
While I have an occasional beef with how the code gets stretched over time to include a few too many things (tamper proof outlets are a major hate of mine), the basics are very solidly grounded (electrical pun) in reality.

You may not have noticed but floor & table lamps typically have a 6' cord on them. You will also recall that the code says you can be no more than 6' to any wall outlet along the wall. Those 2 numbers are the same and not by coincidence.

The same is true of kitchen appliances where you will find a ~2' cord to be pretty common. Personally I don't like cords that short as they can be awkward to use, but they do it for safety reasons as it eliminates the risk of a cord dangling over the edge where a toddler might yank on it pulling something heavy or hot off the countertop. There are good reasons for this. Your kids are grown but there are or will be Grandkids someday that could be an issue. Plus they want it to be correct for when the place gets sold down the road.

The Wiremold/plugmold stuff would be one way to fix your issue under the windows where you get rid of the larger boxes and just use a strip that reaches far enough to meet the code spacing at the ends. So you could use that exclusively instead of 4" boxes. They are pretty low profile and unobtrusive so might meet Jefana's aesthetic desires as well. You could paint them to match the walls and they would all but disappear. And you know you would meet code too, so no inspector issues.

Oh, and if you have counters in the pantry, they are treated the same as kitchen countertops for this rule. It is then considered as part of the kitchen.

If you put a work table in there later and especially if it isn't screwed to the floor, then that is a table and not an island, so you are fully free to not add outlets to it. No matter if you are using it as a makeshift island or not.

Not my monkey, not my circus, but this is one of the code requirements I would stick to, if I were you.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,256  
Everything is looking great. I killed about 4 hours reading over your posts. Continue to keep hitting it hard! It is impressive what you and your lovely family have achieved.

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #4,257  
Nah, Jefanna is all about the patina of aged copper. She was even looking up ways to artificially age it. I said tonleave it alone and it will discolor fast enough.
Sorry for the story....... I worked in topeka ks when they were redoing the top of the capitol (copper) it was a hoot watching those guys hanging from ropes doing all the copper. But the cool part was watching them a year latter hanging up there applying chemicals to "age" it, because it was too shiny and not green enough...........

Best,

ed

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,258  
We see the copper roofs going up around here all the time. There is a house just off the road a couple miles out of town town, near the Foxfield Racing place, with a spectacular mountain view. Copper roof and a copper “silo”. The silo is actually just an additional building with office space, etc but the whole thing was built 3-4 years ago. It aged into a beautiful dark brown.
The place looks spectacular from the road. 13.5 acres that they bought for 1.6 million in 2017
Thats before the build. 5,000 SF. With an observation deck on the roof.
I drove by it every day when they were building it and was fascinated.
Yes, I’m nosey and I looked up all the public info- on the parcel when it was being built. I like to keep up with real estate trends in this area. It is cheap entertainment for me to get updates from Zillow everyday to see what things cost. So far the market here is still going thru the roof.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,259  
10 days and no progress?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,260  
I suspect he’s busting his butt to get moved in