My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,311  
Woodchuck it would be safe to say you have the patience of Job

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,312  
Building an entire house while simultaneously working a full time job (so as to be able to afford it) is a fairly ridiculous endeavour that few humans can fully appreciate.

My best buddy build his house next door mostly solo. I put in dozens of hours with him, helping with site prep, material deliveries, some framing, and a lot of the drywall hanging. But he spent 12 months of basically working two full time jobs and not seeing his wife and kids much in order to get it habitable.

Shoot, we hired a contractor for our build, but on a time and materials basis - so you can bet I was there almost every day making sure time wasn't spent on site cleanup or other dumb stuff by our carpenters at their full hourly rate. And then I did allllll the interior finishing to save costs further. It was a long year.

This thread is on a whole 'nother level of persistence and commitment. Kudos.
Yeah that pretty much describes my first 3-4 yrs of the build from breaking ground in July 2013. I was easily putting in 30-40 hrs a week on the build in addition to my full time job, plus using all my vacation (5 wks a year) at the time. Now I'm lucky to get 15 a week in, but the finish work is so much slower that the progress is much less obvious. Plus I lose more time to maintenance now than i did back then.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,313  
You guys are very kind. I have been lucky. My health has held up. Dr told me I needed a shoulder replacement in 2017. I told him what I was up to and he said to come back when I was done. Jefanna is making plans for my recovery next year right after new year. I think thats the best time as far as farm stuff goes.
I am ready for a break and ready for some fun. I have some small day trips planned once we move in. I have been putting things on hold so much the last 4 years I will feel no guilt for taking a couple days a month to go play. Today i did tge electric outlet under the window in the kitchen. ReAlly hate it. All I have left is two small pieces of siding and a few pieces of trim around bathroom doors. Scheduling inspection for thursday. Closed on building loan refi this morning.

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #4,314  
Wow. That's a pretty small list.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,315  
All I have left is two small pieces of siding and a few pieces of trim around bathroom doors. Scheduling inspection for thursday. Closed on building loan refi this morning.
Yeah right!! Haha. I promise you’ll keep finding details to finish and things to add/improve. But! Thats amazing.

Best of luck with final inspection and the refi! (Sorry about your interest rate…)

#4,316  
Oh, there is a ton of work left. This list is for what gets me thru inspection. I have half a dozen doors to instal. All baseboard trim to do. Have not trimmed any windows. Have not installed any closet stuff but we have racks to work with at first.

#4,317  
I have the master bathroom to build. I modified my building g permit and turned that into unfinished storage. The goal is to get a CO.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,318  
Smart. Get the nosy building dept out of your hair.

My goal at this point is to never have an inspection again. I honestly wouldn’t mind the safety check, but my township is now charging hundreds of dollars every time, even for mundane electrical circuits. and then immediately bringing the assessor department out to jack your property taxes through the roof.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,319  
That line bringing propane into the house is huge. My propane comes into the house-side regulator through like a 3/8" OD copper line. Curious if you oversized it for some reason or that's just the convenient piping available or what?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,320  
I bet it's sized to handle the instant hot water heater. Those things need a huge amount of gas to operate effectively.