My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried?

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried? #1  

Bama67

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 5520H
I bought a new Branson 5520H last year. When I did my 50 hour service I had only really been snow plowing so there was no dust or dirt at all, so the filter looked brand new still, so I didn't replace it.
Today at around 90 hours I checked my filter because I have been bush hogging this summer and its REALLY dusty. The filter was blocked off pretty well so I decided to get online and order another one. It's then that I found out I should have an inner blue colored filter. My tractor came only has the white "outer" filter.

Should I be worried about not having that inner filter there for all the dusty use for the last 30-40 hours?
Or should the outer one have gotten most of the dust particles? I don't know what the micron level is or anything.
It looked fairly clean in the air tube.
I want this tractor to last forever and I'm pretty upset that the engine could have been more protected and it didn't arrive new with this filter.

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried? #2  
I would contact your dealer and make them aware;but pretty hard to prove that it wasn't shipped with both.

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried? #3  
I wouldn't be concerned at all. The outer filter is still perfectly capable of filter the air. Mine didn't have one either and during the 50 hour service that had to be done at the dealer, he did recommend that I would get the inner filter for it. He said Branson reps were there and weren't very happy that the tractors were being shipped with only the outer filter though. This was back in 2017.

Shortly after, I did get the inner filter. Here is the number for the outer filter: Donaldson P821575 and inner filter: Donaldson P822858. Check with yours if it's the same. I believe they use the same air boxes.

I work on very dusty environments and the inner filter is yet to get an dirt on it after 310+ hours it has been on the tractor. That only confirms the outer filter is doing its job.

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried?
Awesome, that makes me feel better and good to know I wasn't the only one that didn't get an inner filter.

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried? #5  
On my 2400H Branson parts book I have does not even show an inner filter. I did install both new inner and outer last fall. Tractor had around 700 hrs when I did this.

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried? #6  
I have not seen any dirt on the inner filter in 320 hours. You're probably fine.

You can take the filter can off and inspect the intake tube for dirt. If it got past the filter there will be some in the tubing.

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried? #7  
I’ve got a MF1540. I change the outer air filter every year, but I have not had to change the inner air filter in years; it is still pristine clean.

Nothing to worry about with it not being in there.

Just put one in and forget about it……

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried? #8  
I am always surprised how clean my inner filter stays. I don't think I've ever been able to blow anything out of it when I clean them both with compressed air.

To be sure, I get tons of stuff out of my outer (white) filter, which is always expected when I'm brush hogging fields. It's super dusty work. But that inner filter is still clean as new after 250+ hours (it was replaced at the 50 hr). I still take the inner one out and blow it out. And I'm still glad it's there, but I've never had anything make it past the outer filter.

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried? #9  
I would think you are okay.

My Ventrac also has an inner blue filter and outer white filter. I replaced the white filter once at 100 hours and the blue filter was okay, but at 200 hours the inner filter was clogged.

So the inner filter does do what it needs to do - I wouldn't go without it anymore.

If I were in your shoes, I might do an extra oil change early.

/ My new Branson was missing inner Air filter, should I be worried? #10  
Unless you run your tractor in volcanic ash silt all the time, I wouldn't be concerned. I wouldn't even be overly concerned if you did run it in silt.