My oxy-acetylene journey

/ My oxy-acetylene journey #1  

Sebculb

Gold Member
Tractor
'97 Deere 310D Backhoe
Hey everyone,

So I got a oxy kit off Facebook marketplace the other day to fix a cracked hub on a deere backhoe. Check your lug nuts periodically! Far worse things than simply having your wheel fall off can happen.

I could stick weld this thing with nickel rod but it's like 5/8 of an inch thick and when I fabricate a rectangular patch and weld it in I'm worried that amount of heat will warp the thing into a potato chip. So the plan is to try and braze it with bronze.

It's my understanding that bronze, done well, is strong. And I like that it doesn't have to get heated up nearly as hot.

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_170022.jpg
    IMG_20211002_170022.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
   / My oxy-acetylene journey
This is my new toy, got a pretty good deal on it at least in the context of the local economy. We're in SW Costa Rica, sometimes that affects availability and prices. Anyways the thing came with three cutting torches, an assortment of welding tips, a rosebud and extra hoses. The acetylene tank was full but had to exchange the oxygen tank.

Never used one of these before. Closest thing has been using a propane torch and solder to make some seriously ghetto rig fixes. Like put the wrong size bearing in and filling in the gap between it and the cup with lead solder ha ha. Hey, it worked until the correct size bearing arrived and i was finish the excavation job I was on. But that's "like" brazing, right?

My buddy the genius backhoe mechanic came over and showed me how to connect the regulators and hoses and turn the thing on. He reviewed the plan and gave me his approval. He said he doesn't think I'll blow myself up, that made me feel better.

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_165936.jpg
    IMG_20211002_165936.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
Here's a couple of welds after a couple hours practice. It's on pretty thin metal, 1"x1"x1.2mm (18ga?) galvanized square tubing. Making a bathroom cabinet, I'll cover this frame with the thin furniture plywood when it's done.

Using the small welding tip and concrete tie wire as welding rod. The two-handed thing is tricky but think I'm getting the hang of it. Just get a goopy weld puddle going and feed the wire in, and move it along like it was a regular welding stick.

Pretty happy in that I think this is going to get boring kinda soon. As in "keep burning that wire" is going to get as routine and monotonous as "keep burning that 6013". Sometimes I burn a lot of 6013... Like for months on end...

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_162141.jpg
    IMG_20211002_162141.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20211002_174750.jpg
    IMG_20211002_174750.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
Once I get used to burning wire and doing the two handed thing, gonna try and braze this cast iron stove top just to get some practice using the bronze brazing rod. Will bronze withstand the heat from a small wood stove?

I bought Flux covered bronze rod but haven't played with it yet. Does anyone know the difference between Flux covered and bare rod? Is the Flux the same as soldering iron Flux?

Don't really understand about the Flux, I know with stick welding it keeps your stick from burning up in the atmosphere but I thought acetylene provides a "clean non-oxidizing environment" that doesn't burn up the metal? Hence being able to weld with straight up tie wire? Should I use soldering Flux with the concrete tie wire?

Flux is a part I'm not too clear on yet...

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_175302.jpg
    IMG_20211002_175302.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65