My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G Bobcat V417 TORO+Loader
Big difference from a wide front horse trailer gooseneck and a real, working flat deck gooseneck. Since my gooseneck tapers, I put a foot on the bottom of the jack, grab the neck and pull up and swing a foot over my open tailgate.

hugs, Brandi
Yep that works, and I used to be able to do it. But now I use the BedStep with the real working flat deck gooseneck:

P1260001.JPG

The BedStep is visible under the bumper:
PA040020.JPG

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
What I don’t understand @bindian and @Xfaxman is why y’all don’t have rear bumpers with steps in the corners?
25_cent_score,
Because that is a chevy thing. Why do I need a step anyway? When I can use the step in the center or the jack pad on the trailer. Maybe I can get you to come down and cut steps in my bumper's corners. Maybe take the bed off and put on a flat bed with a built in ladder. Yeah, that's the ticket.
hugs, Brandi

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Also, my 2003 Cummins dually (423,000 miles) is lowest to the ground than any one ton. Only Dodge seems to know how to make a highway hauler that hugs the ground at high speed. All others are 6 or more inches taller than mine. She sits so low, I have had logs stacked on the trailer enough to make the truck's mud flaps drag. But I trimmed them after one was almost ripped off when I backed a load up at the local truck stop. Ouch!
hugs, Brandi

two_bit_score

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
25_cent_score,
Because that is a chevy thing. Why do I need a step anyway? When I can use the step in the center or the jack pad on the trailer. Maybe I can get you to come down and cut steps in my bumper's corners. Maybe take the bed off and put on a flat bed with a built in ladder. Yeah, that's the ticket.
hugs, Brandi
If you get a good flat bed you won’t need a built in ladder because you would have a step all the way across the rear.

And you wouldn’t want to cut steps in that shinny bumper when you could just get a good welded bumper with steps built in.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
If you get a good flat bed you won’t need a built in ladder because you would have a step all the way across the rear.

And you wouldn’t want to cut steps in that shinny bumper when you could just get a good welded bumper with steps built in.

If you had a flatbed you probably wouldn’t be climbing on the bed very often anyway because you can reach access it.

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD

Nope, don't like shiny. Everything is red. Just go ahead and drop off a new truck all deck out.
hugs, Brandi

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I finally took the time to weld the chain on the CAT's grader blade. Here it is in position to weld on the chain tomorrow. I backed the CAT into the barn so I can position the bucket in the blade's pocket...rain or shine tomorrow.
CAT 8 Foot Grader Blade Ready for Chain Welding.jpg
The CAT is hiding behind the blade in the photo.
hugs, Brandi

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
If you had a flatbed you probably wouldn’t be climbing on the bed very often anyway because you can reach access it.
Where have you been? Belay that flatbed order. If I got one, I would have to strap everything down.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I welded the attach chain to the blade today. It is awesome.
CAT 8 Foot Grader Blade Headon.jpg
CAT 8 Foot Grader Blade Backside Installation.jpg
However, I am going to add longer plow bolts and 3/8th thick 3 inch angle on back. Yes, I did tweak it. But I got it untweaked.
hugs, brandi

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
I welded the attach chain to the blade today. It is awesome. View attachment 709368View attachment 709369 However, I am going to add longer plow bolts and 3/8th thick 3 inch angle on back. Yes, I did tweak it. But I got it untweaked.
hugs, brandi
Want to see a cool attachment for your excavator? This guy is highly skilled, but I think yu can appreciate the roto-attachment and the well designed bucket. He has endless videos of his projects
PS. your blade idea is awesome! It reminded me of these vids I watch. (y)

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Want to see a cool attachment for your excavator? This guy is highly skilled, but I think yu can appreciate the roto-attachment and the well designed bucket. He has endless videos of his projects
PS. your blade idea is awesome! It reminded me of these vids I watch. (y)
Seen that attachment. I don't think it would be compatible with the hyd. thumb. Not to mention running more tubing and another diverter valve plus more weight on an old, tired, turn table bearing. I have something like that on my telehandler, but the whole frame tilts and the fork carriage pivots.
Thanks! Years ago, I made a 6 foot one for my backhoe. Been wanting to build this 8 footer for 6 years.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
That would be pretty handy. Is it stable enough with the mounting system?
It's the same mounting system I have been using for years on my backhoe. But this one is 3/8 inch thick. It's as strong as the teeth supporting it. Just need to reinforce the blade. My 6 foot one on the backhoe never bent because it would just pull the tractor backwards. But the CAT doesn't slide and thus the bent end. Just a pile of dirt straightened the blade back out. Ouch to my pride. Longer plow bolts are ordered and I can pick up the 3/8th inch angle tomorrow.
hugs, Brandi

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
The front bumper spray tank on the lawnmower works way better than expected. I can spray and move along the fence lines, justing my left elbow to steer with the wand in that hand. Or drive slowing and steer with one hand.

At first, I only put in 12 gallons of water & Eraser A/P. Every once in a while the rear tires would spin. I was extra careful along the gully. Last trip of the day, I put in 16 gallons and all worked fine. Now, after all that fab. and install with 3 hours of spraying.............the tank will sit until next year.
hugs, Brandi

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Made a transport cradle for the grader blade today. Now I can leave it outside. After a year or two, change out the bottom pallet.
CAT 8 Foot Grader Blade Support Pallet.jpg

With it positioned this way, I just curl the bucket level to the ground and crab in. If needed, I can slide
the blade a little, by hand, to get it in place, then chain it.
hugs, Brandi

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Hello, anyone out there?
hugs, Brandi

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
My 2003 Cummins doesn't use DEF, but has chips. Even an electronic throttle. Nothing I own uses DEF. I hope to keep it that way.
hugs, Brandi

My 05 has a lot more sensors than I’d like it to have. If I could find a early 90s truck that had working ac, wasn’t junk, and had a mechanical injection Cummins I’d probably buy it.

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
My 05 has a lot more sensors than I’d like it to have. If I could find a early 90s truck that had working ac, wasn’t junk, and had a mechanical injection Cummins I’d probably buy it.
They are out there. Ya just gotta look.
hugs, Brandi

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Me 3 !!!(y)

Good job on shoring that blade up. I must admit, I was suspect of it prior, but figured you might just be leveling smooth dirt with it. But now it should be good to go for most applications. Watch out for roots.

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
Me too, even though most of what you do is beyond me.(y)

Cheers,
Mike

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I like your blade. I saw a crew working along the rode that used a large metal pipe to smooth out the ground. I'm guessing it was about a 10 inch metal pipe about 8 feet long. They cut a hole in the side of the pipe for the teeth of the bucket to fit into, and ran a chain from the ends of the pipe to the bucket to hold it in place. The results where very nice!!!!

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Me 3 !!!(y)

Good job on shoring that blade up. I must admit, I was suspect of it prior, but figured you might just be leveling smooth dirt with it. But now it should be good to go for most applications. Watch out for roots.
Kyle, it was so flimsy, I bent it straight in a pile of dirt.:unsure: Again, I had the mindset that I never bent the same designed 6 foot blade with my backhoe. But that blade would slide the whole tractor when biting too much. The CAT only slides on muddy inclines. Now, I need to have two different mindsets when using my blades.
hugs, Brandi

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Me too, even though most of what you do is beyond me.(y)

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,
Getting Cheers from a guy in Kansas is just strange to me. Have you ever lived down under?
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I like your blade. I saw a crew working along the rode that used a large metal pipe to smooth out the ground. I'm guessing it was about a 10 inch metal pipe about 8 feet long. They cut a hole in the side of the pipe for the teeth of the bucket to fit into, and ran a chain from the ends of the pipe to the bucket to hold it in place. The results where very nice!!!!
Thanks Eddie. That pipe design is exactly what the owner of my local welding shop told me, when I described my design to him. The problem with the pipe, is it couldn't slice into a pile of dirt to spread it. Since I have a cutting edge from a box blade, its slice and dice baby!

hugs, Brandi

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
Mike,
Getting Cheers from a guy in Kansas is just strange to me. Have you ever lived down under?
hugs, Brandi
Only while in the Army at Fort Sam Houston, Camp Bullis and Brooke Army Medical Center for several months. Quite a memorable time.

Cheers,
Mike

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
Hey Wagtail. How is it going down in St. Helens?
hugs, Brandi
It's all good down here love. It's now 'officially' Spring as we change seasons by 'date', not equinox/solstice. Nice, steady rain over the Winter so we'll have another good to great hay/growing season (we typically only get one cut per year).

We don't hear much, if any, about your ducks? 😐

OP
bindian

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
It's all good down here love. It's now 'officially' Spring as we change seasons by 'date', not equinox/solstice. Nice, steady rain over the Winter so we'll have another good to great hay/growing season (we typically only get one cut per year).

We don't hear much, if any, about your ducks? 😐
I just raised 58 more. Sold 36, then the same customer came back and bought 10 more. Sold 8 to a new customer. Should have 4 left to add to my flock, but 1 disappeared not long after turning them out of the pond. So I thought I would have the 3, but they haven't came up the last two days for their daily grain ration. My old drake (He is 7) has a tumor in his wing about the size of a golf ball. He has been penned up a few weeks now on antibotics. We cheered him up yesterday by putting his 7 year old girlfriend in with him. They are not full blooded Mallards and only fly a few feet off the ground. But Donald has been dragging his wing and sometimes steps on it. He is not swimming either. So I don't know if he will be turned out or not.

Meanwhile, my friend Brady who lives at the back of my property, informed me yesterday there is another iguana in the pond. Brady shot the first one, after the little devil scarred me while feeding the fish. He jumped into the pond right near the feeding ring. He scarred me like I was watching the creature from the black lagoon swimming away. Anyway, this new pond dweller is around 3 feet long. I was looking for him in the heat of the day yesterday. I didn't see him, but I sunk a few turtles.
hugs, Brandi

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
Made a transport cradle for the grader blade today. Now I can leave it outside. After a year or two, change out the bottom pallet.View attachment 712340
With it positioned this way, I just curl the bucket level to the ground and crab in. If needed, I can slide
the blade a little, by hand, to get it in place, then chain it.
hugs, Brandi
Hey Brandi,
Could you make a video of your new blade in action? Sure would be cool to see! :) (y)