Snowblower My rear 54" Smyth snowblower

/ My rear 54" Smyth snowblower #1  

Max2310

Silver Member
Tractor
GC2310 2008
Since I had a hard time finding info on the Smyth snowblower, now that I own one, I have to do my part.

- Price: Cost me less than 2k taxes included! Was the same price as the 51" Meteor but I didn't want the Meteor and don't ask me why. It's the cheapest price I could find. And not the reason why I bought it but very happy that I saved almost 1k compare to the other model that I was supposed to get.

- Size: My tractor is 48" wide (almost 19hp @ pto), 54" is really a good size! Not too big but big enough!

- Options: Manuel chute, no skid shoes :rolleyes:. Grease fittings on every bearings, 4 blade fan.

- Throwing distance: Picture worth a thousand words. It's acceptable but not the farthest that I have seen (not enough snow either). I get better result with my push behind Toro (which does pretty well btw). But satisfied anyway.

- Quality in general: Looks very solid. Doesn't wumble, With minimum care and precaution, it will probably last forever.

- Lack of skid shoes: Yup, not good on gravel without a solid frozen base, but I knew that so I made some! And I may not need them for the rest of the season.

I'm glad I bought it but there is not enough snow to really appeciate it at this time. Ho yeah, I love my R4s and would not trade them but chains are required even with 4wd.

Attachments

• DSC_0469 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0469 (Medium).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC_0529 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0529 (Large).JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC_0530 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0530 (Large).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 402
  • Toro2811 (Large).jpg
    Toro2811 (Large).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 429
   / My rear 54" Smyth snowblower #2  
Nice, thanks for the review.
I may look into that one if I ever decide to upgrade.

/ My rear 54" Smyth snowblower #3  
- Throwing distance: Picture worth a thousand words. It's acceptable but not the farthest that I have seen (not enough snow either). I get better result with my push behind Toro (which does pretty well btw). But satisfied anyway.

there are several things you can do to improve this

- grease or otherwise lubricate the chute (many suggest the cheepest non-stick cooking spray you can find)
- make shure your spinning it at 540rpm (or 1000rpm if its that version)
- check the impeller to drum clearance. if the gap is to large youll loose performance
- consider adding sheet metal to your flighting to make it solid so as to drag more snow to the center quicker.