My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!!

/ My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!! #1  

bebop86

Bronze Member
So my wife called from our place up north- she took the legacy out for the first time this spring and said it went on fire around battery compartment- Any ideas as I am not up there- thks

Attachments

• IMG_5688.jpg
    IMG_5688.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
   / My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!! #2  
Yep, look like a cable. possible a throttle cable came in contact with the battery positive terminal. See attached.

The arrow points to a bare cable.

Attachments

• Fire damage1.jpg
    Fire damage1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
   / My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!! #3  
Suggest removing the battery so there's no power to any wires whose insulation is compromised.

/ My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!!
thks- so if I replace postitve cable and make sure it does not contact anything I should be good>>

/ My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!! #5  
A thorough look over is needed especially if this machine is parked indoors.

/ My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!! #6  
thks- so if I replace postitve cable and make sure it does not contact anything I should be good>>
It looks like bare copper wires and melted insulation in the bottom of the picture as well. You're gonna have to inspect it all closely. But get that battery out of there before you continue.

/ My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!! #7  
It looks like bare copper wires and melted insulation in the bottom of the picture as well. You're gonna have to inspect it all closely. But get that battery out of there before you continue.
I would agree. Will need extensive inspection and repair of the wiring harness. Or wiring harness replacement since there is a high possibility that there is damage from shorted circuits in other parts of the mower at this point.

/ My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!! #8  
Yep, new wire harness and reroute that metal throttle cable elsewhere away from the positive terminal for sure.

/ My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!! #9  
I don't see the need to replace the harness. Just inspect the wires and connecters. Splice and cover wires that are damaged and replace sections that are burned away.

/ My Simplicity Legacy went on fire !!_ HELP!! #10  
Don't have pictures of my BX2230. But the positive cable from battery to starter (I think) passed by edge of cut edge of steel bracing. Sharp edge. After 15 years or so, it wore through, made a big pop noise, but switch would not shut off the diesel engine. Had to stuff rag in air cleaner to starve the engine. No fire. Found propblem. Had to replace positive cable, plus some other wires and a new battery. Plus some hose/wire covering to protect cable. Jon