My solar is working for me

/ My solar is working for me #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I am serviced by SCE. Every year on my anniversary I get a bill for usage during the last year. It can be a charge or a refund.

This is this years charge. In addition this year i went total electric with the conversion of my HVAC to mini splits. That will save me $1400 in propane next year.

3F356E0F-09EC-461D-8265-A3C49871BC0B.png

Last edited:
   / My solar is working for me #3  
So the question remains...Will the solar system pay for itself?

I lived in Florida for 24 years and every time I looked into a cost/ savings analysis the system would be obsolete and in need of replacement years before the so-called savings would equal the original purchase costs

Here in New Hampshire it is even worse

/ My solar is working for me #4  
For a long time, we resisted solar, too. Every time that I ran the numbers, the ROI was beyond the warranty, and lifetimes for the equipment. Then the price of the hardware dropped dramatically and we installed some. Our ROI for solar was about 7.5 years on installation that dropped to about five years as the utility increased costs.

@Moxie 15 it may be worth another look.

All the best,

Peter

/ My solar is working for me
So the question remains...Will the solar system pay for itself?

I lived in Florida for 24 years and every time I looked into a cost/ savings analysis the system would be obsolete and in need of replacement years before the so-called savings would equal the original purchase costs

Here in New Hampshire it is even worse
Since I’m a General Contractor and did the full installation myself at about 1/2 the quoted cost, my payback in the sunny Mojave will be less than 4 years when I consider the propane savings when switching to mini splits.

Probably the best investment I ever made on ROI.

/ My solar is working for me #6  
Looking like 5-6yrs for my system to produce what it cost. Was closer to 6-7, but our power cost has increased 50% since March.

Produced ~$370 last month

IMG_2174.JPG

/ My solar is working for me #8  
Me too... get a check every year and it is more than enough to offset the monthly meter charge.

I would like to add more to the electric side and thinking of adding a shop washer and electric dryer... maybe an electric water heater?

The gas water heater is circa 1993 and is a commercial model... 30 years next year so I am on borrowed time!

Last edited:
   / My solar is working for me #9  
30 years is awesome! If the water heater isn't close to sleeping areas, you might consider a heat pump water heater. They can be very efficient.

All the best,

Peter

/ My solar is working for me #10  
Directly under guest bedroom...

I have a hot water circulation pump that is off now because when the house is quiet the pump can be heard.

Might put it on a timer if need be.

Actually have two identical gas water heaters side by side... one domestic and one radiant for shop floor but NEVER need it and the owner builder used it once and never needed it... in retrospect radiant would have had more application upstairs in the living and dining areas...