My Weekend Tow Story

/ My Weekend Tow Story #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
Last weekend I pulled my fathers Ford tractor (I think its a 5500, an old state of New York DOT mowing rig) with 5 ft bush-hog to my aunts house to cut the fields. The tractor I'm assuming is about 6000 lbs, the trailer is about 2000 lbs. Its well within the range of towing in my 2012 Chevy 2500 (6.0L gas, 6 speed auto, 4x4 ECSB).

I took it easy and kept to the speed limit, which clearly ticked people off behind me. A long line (about 6 or 7 cars) built up behind me on a country road, posted at 50 mph, which I maintained. Our route had us climb a long up hill grade with two lanes (one for slower traffic). The bummer about this hill is that it starts at a stop sign, pulling out of a hole at the beginning of the long hill. So there is no momentum working with you.

So as I pulled out, I jumped in the slow lane and made it up to posted speed at a slow rate. Behind me the group of cars that were stuck behind me earlier, began to pass. About the middle of the pack, a white SUV cut in front of me, slammed on the brakes, slowed us down to 15 mph and then took off. He made a 3 point turn up the road a mile later. Must have been upset that I was slowing him down. And then went out of his way, spending more time just to mess with me.

My gut reaction was to gun it and rev the **** out of the truck. But by that time we hit the steepest part of the hill, the truck was in second gear already and was north of 5000 rpm. She was out of breath and not going to catch up anyway. I had to calm down and protect my rig. I think that was the hardest part of the experience.

The point(s) of this story is that:
- The ignorant are often vengeful as well.
- This was the first time I wish the Chevy was a Duramax. The 6.0 just fell on its face as soon as we started losing speed, and while I could have pulled into the fast lane, I didn't have the torque to pass.
- No matter how mad you get, don't let your equipment take the punishment.
- I highly doubt a TBN member would be like the guy in the SUV, but I bet there are many members that could have been in my position. So I thought I'd share my experience.

/ My Weekend Tow Story #2  
I know the feeling well.
During the summer months I go to several classic car cruises during the week driving a 1949 Chevy 1 1/2 Ton truck. I stay on rural roads where the speed limit varies from 55 MPH and lower while going thru small towns. The top speed of the truck is between 45-50 with a good tail wind so lines build up behind me in those 55 zones because they all want to drive 60 plus. Most of these Upstate roads have no place to pull over so they usually pass me (crossing a double line) while honking the horn and giving me the one finger salute.
I don't have a problem towing the tractor with my regular truck but most towing is on level roads.
Everyone is always in a hurry, People pass me on the highway doing 75-80 and yet a few miles up the road when I get off at my exit there they are sitting at the red light.

/ My Weekend Tow Story #4  
You could use a bumper sticker to tell them how you feel.

Bruce

Bumperstickers.jpg

/ My Weekend Tow Story #5  
If you got a plate number it certainly would have been worth a call to law enforcement. I did that with a reckless driver and later got a call from the sheriff. They thanked me for the call (though failed to make the intercept).

/ My Weekend Tow Story #6  
I get that ALL the time, towing or not. But there are a lot of JA's on the road.

There's the Natchez Trace Parkway which is the shortest distance (33 miles of it) between my location and Lowes, Home Depot etc. The speed limit is 50 mph. My BIL and other relatives tell me that they are strict and DON'T go over 59. There are very few passing areas.

I drive either my F350 diesel dually or a '94 Honda Civic Hybrid, neither noted for quick passing capability. So I'll generally set it on about 55 and cruise, a nice drive. Invariably I'll get someone behind me just about touching my license plate for ten miles or more, then they finally pass me and go about 56, just gradually pulling away.

But recently I've found a new type of JA. They speed up to 60 or more in the areas where you can legally pass, then drop down to 45 or less all the rest of the way. I salute them.

/ My Weekend Tow Story #8  
I had a similar thing happen back in 2002. I was pulling a 8600# boat and trailer with my 2001 F150. Some dip shat pulled around me then slammed on the brakes. I did a panic stop. I would have killed the guy if I had gotten my hands on him.

The next morning I went to lower the motor on the boat and it was bound against the back of the trailer. Upon further inspection I realized the panic stop broke the 4x3" weeded on bow stop off and the entire boat slid forward. Only thing that keep it out of the bed of my truck was the motor hitting the trailer and stopping it.

Chris

/ My Weekend Tow Story #9  
I pull a 30 ft camper with my excursion . Had a guy last year pass me on my right on a soft shoulder , problem for him was he couldnt see the big puddle ahead of him . he ended up in a field .

/ My Weekend Tow Story #10  
Hard to believe someone could be annoyed you're slowing them down, and then have time to brake check you and dick around. I back way off when I see jerks like that, it's just not worth it.