My wife is now Dr Walker PhD

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
IMG_2037.JPG

This morning my wife successfully defended her Dissertation and officially earned her PhD. On Dec 13th, she will receive her degree at the graduation ceremony. What impresses me the most about this is that she is a High School drop out that was married with her first kid when she was 16. After her second kid, she realized that she needed to make some changes in her life and started her life of education. First was a Bachelors in Nursing, then a Masters in Nursing and then her MBA. All along, she wanted a PhD, but she was also raising 4 kids on her own and working full time. She never gave up, even when she was confined to a bed in the hospital while fighting colon cancer last year!!!!!

The PhD is in Palliative Care, which made it a lot harder then some of the other things she could have done it in, but that's where her passion is and it's a field that has been neglected by modern medicine. There are a lot of plans for her with the University, she will now be on the track for Tenure, they are talking about a speaking tour and one of the advisers today said that they need her to come to DC to explain her work and do whatever it is that they do there. It's all over my head, especially since she writes at grade level 19, but from what I understand, she has 4 articles to publish from this, and there is talk of the University of Texas giving her a year off from teaching to focus on her research. This is all talk, but it's been in the making for awhile now. She just needed to finish this part and now we will see what happens next.

I am now official a Doctors husband!! :)

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #2  
Let me be the first to congratulate your wife. I have a Masters degree and have an idea of the sacrifices you both had to make.

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #3  
Congratulations are definitely in order to one very amazing lady!!!

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #4  
Congrats to you both Eddie!!!!

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #5  
Most impressive!!! Congratulations to her. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #6  
The next time you guys go out to eat and she tells the waiter what she wants, you can say "It's just what the doctor ordered!"
Also, based on what they say about apples and doctors, you now have to make a choice. :laughing:
Joking aside though, congrats!

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #7  
Serious Congrats to her, and you as well.

My wife went to undergraduate school after I got out of the Army, just after I did. We both got our Masters at the same time couple years later, and then she went on to get an EdD (Doc of Education) a few more years down the road. It takes a real support guy to help the other half going to school while working full time as well, so I know what you've done.

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #8  
Congratulations to your wife Eddie, what a truly inspiring story!

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #9  
Congrats Eddie! My wife has hers in law. She worked full time and went to school at night. I worked full time and cooked and cleaned up.

/ My wife is now Dr Walker PhD #10  
That is awesome ! Congrats

Danno