Mystery sound

/ Mystery sound #14  
Definitely grouse. I had the same experience the first couple years we lived here. It does sound just like a one-lung engine starting, I kept wondering what sort of pump or whatever the neighbors must have running that would start and stop randomly. I had to laugh at myself when I finally learned what it was.

/ Mystery sound #15  
I know grouse will sound just like that, like an old "popping Johnny" starting up, running a second, and killing. It's from them thumping their wings against their bodies.

Yep, that is what it is and I can't think of a better example of it.

Harry K

/ Mystery sound
Yeah, that sure does sound like it!!

/ Mystery sound #18  
'Cept we don't call 'em Grouse here, right Dave? :D

Oh no, that would be too easy. :laughing: I think most of the natives here call them partridge.

Whatever you call 'em, I think this winter was a hard one for them. That rain that froze into 3" of ice back in January kept any critter from getting to the ground. I've seen just a few tracks in the snow this spring.

Not as many hare tracks as in the past few years either, but they have been pretty thick the past couple years and they do go in cycles.

The deer are on the move now, I've seen deer tracks around the house the past couple days.

/ Mystery sound #19  
I'm thinking a grouse drumming too, but...its way early in New Hampshire...