Name that plant/weed/shrub/tree

/ Name that plant/weed/shrub/tree #1  

shaeff

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF Utility 35 Gasser, JLG LJ500
So I’ve noticed over the past few years that we have some VERY knowledgeable members on this site. If a thread like this exists already, I’d love to be directed to it as my quick search found nothing.

This thread is for everyone, have something growing that you can’t identify? Put a few pics in here and maybe someone can educate us all!

I’ll start, since I have this large bush growing in my yard, had pretty yellow flowers, smells sweet, and has prickers. I just don’t know if it’s a weed or not haha. Anyone know?

IMG_4211.JPGIMG_4209.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG

Thank you in advance!

/ Name that plant/weed/shrub/tree #2  
First, you need to post your photos with the max size/resolution.

Second, you will be amazed at what some apps can do. I use Seek by INaturalist (sponsored by National Geographic Society). It is absolutely amazing.

I downloaded your low res photos and ran it through seek. Because it was so grainy it could only narrow it to the family Faboideae

/ Name that plant/weed/shrub/tree #6  
Doesn't look like any of the Barberry pics. I put the very flowery pic into Google images. Got lots of images to look at. None really fit.

We get stuff like this at the extension office. Unless one of us knows exactly what it is, it can take hours to find what it is. We've good ID for trees but not for shrubs and flowers. There are millions of them now.

Ralph

/ Name that plant/weed/shrub/tree #7  
First, you need to post your photos with the max size/resolution.

Second, you will be amazed at what some apps can do. I use Seek by INaturalist (sponsored by National Geographic Society). It is absolutely amazing.

I downloaded your low res photos and ran it through seek. Because it was so grainy it could only narrow it to the family Faboideae

This is absolute horrible advice...unless someone knows how to only show a thumbnail on the post page high res images are a bane to anyone that does not have super fast Internet and many rural folks DO NOT...

high res images continue to cause trouble every time the page is viewed not just once and if someone quotes the OP it compounds the problem....
Never post high res images unless they have been reformatted for web viewing...!!!

:thumbsup: moss...

Newcomb's for Beginners: Common Barberry | Josh Fecteau

/ Name that plant/weed/shrub/tree #9  
Doesn't look like any of the Barberry pics. I put the very flowery pic into Google images. Got lots of images to look at. None really fit.

We get stuff like this at the extension office. Unless one of us knows exactly what it is, it can take hours to find what it is. We've good ID for trees but not for shrubs and flowers. There are millions of them now.

Ralph

I didn't know what it was either. So I went here:

Full Key for Plant Identification:
Go Botany

Then I started by choosing the most obvious feature, yellow flowers and leaf shape. It narrowed it down to about 100 choices, with pictures, and that one popped right out as the same. :)

/ Name that plant/weed/shrub/tree
Hey all, thanks a bunch for the replies! I uploaded high resolution pics from my phone, not sure why they didn’t upload as high rez. I’m no n00b to the internet, so my apologies for that. I’ll post a better pic on Tuesday when I get back to my desk PC.

From the info you guys posted (thank you again!) it does look like common barberry. I actually have two apps on my phone and neither could identify it, which is why I posted here. :)

Have a great Memorial Day, and thanks to all who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom! :salute: