Nasty, Nasty, Nasty!

/ Nasty, Nasty, Nasty! #1  

Doofy

Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
Mosquitoes have to be the filthiest and most annoying insect on the planet!

I have 3 Mosquito Magnets that require a cleaning and rebuild every couple of years. Today, my oldest machine an original Liberty was acting up and the fan sounded like it was hitting something hard. Tore the beast apart and found that mosquito guts and parts had built up on the fan and housing and were impeding the fan blade and making a racket.

Took a couple hours to take the machine apart and clean the fan. What a chore. At times like this, I miss the old DDT fogging trucks of the 50s. I loved the smell of DDT in the morning (I was 10).

/ Nasty, Nasty, Nasty! #3  
How do the magnets work? Considered getting one.

/ Nasty, Nasty, Nasty! #4  

I have 3 Mosquito Magnets that require a cleaning and rebuild every couple of years. Today, my oldest machine an original Liberty was acting up and the fan sounded like it was hitting something hard. Tore the beast apart and found that mosquito guts and parts had built up on the fan and housing and were impeding the fan blade and making a racket.

Took a couple hours to take the machine apart and clean the fan. What a chore. At times like this, I miss the old DDT fogging trucks of the 50s. I loved the smell of DDT in the morning (I was 10).

:laughing::wave::rotfl: You to? How come you're not dead? Does this sound familiar? Family about to set to eat,dad say's let me kill some of these *@%$# flies before one dive's into the gravey,,,,,,,,psssst,,,pssssst,,,,,psssst from the hand sprayer loaded with DDT and flies literally die and fall mid-flight? That was only necessary until dad started dusting cotton fields which surrounded our house. If horse flys and face flies got bad on cows,dad corralled them then walked through throwing DDT dust down their backs. Did he change clothes and wash up afterwards? Naa,but he always wiped his hands on his overhalls afterwards and before rolling a smoke. Older brother figured if the dust helped cows with their bug problem,it might cure his crabs. Not sure which did them in,the DDT dust that set his balls on fire or if they drown when he jumped in the water trough. One thing's for sure,brother was more selective about who he hung out with from then on.

/ Nasty, Nasty, Nasty!

The newer units work much better than the originals. You can't buy repair parts and must send it in for repair or take to an authorized repair facility. There are consumables like octenol attractant, propane and Co2 cartridges to flush the combustor. You also need extra nets.

The first several years I was catching a 5 gallon bucket full every summer. Now, maybe a gallon or two per summer, if that. Over time, the life-cycle of the mosquito can really become disrupted and the population is drastically reduced.

/ Nasty, Nasty, Nasty! #6  

Hmmm. We used DDT on the farm in the 50’s but I don’t recall what it smelled like. For some reason I do remember (and liked) the scent of Aldrin and Malathion, though.

/ Nasty, Nasty, Nasty!
Hmmm. We used DDT on the farm in the 50’s but I don’t recall what it smelled like. For some reason I do remember (and liked) the scent of Aldrin and Malathion, though.

I am surprised that I haven't suffered brain damage or cancer from my exposure to many different chemicals over the past 68 years. When the fogger trucks would come down the alley, I would be right behind it be it running, skating or by bicycle. Actually, I probably should be dead.

/ Nasty, Nasty, Nasty! #8  
I would be right behind it be it running, skating or by bicycle. Actually, I probably should be dead.

Well you’re NOT and that’s a GOOD thing!

I was brought up operating tractors and equipment. Didn’t learn how to ride a bike until I was ten.

/ Nasty, Nasty, Nasty!
Well you’re NOT and that’s a GOOD thing!

I was brought up operating tractors and equipment. Didn’t learn how to ride a bike until I was ten.

I also played with mercury for many, many years. Never ate lead paint though.

/ Nasty, Nasty, Nasty! #10  

Not an immediate solution. We had good results over a few years. Battle of numbers. Have to get it out early and run it for full season each year to attract and collect enough to reduce the breeding population.

Even better results from moving to a town that is part of the regional mosquito spraying cooperative.