Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator?

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator? #21  
So if you go that route, how are you going to connect it to your natural gas line, and make it so that you can easily disconnect it? Do they make quick disconnects for natural gas lines? Or are you going to have to put a wrench to it?

I have a Tri-fuel portable generator on wheels that uses quick disconnects to NG. I modified it electrically so I can manually open the solenoid to let gas in and pressed the diaphragm to purge the air until I smelled gas then fired it up.

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator?
I have a Tri-fuel portable generator on wheels that uses quick disconnects to NG. I modified it electrically so I can manually open the solenoid to let gas in and pressed the diaphragm to purge the air until I smelled gas then fired it up.
On your tri-fuel generator, how does it differentiate between natural gas and propane? That is to say, does it have two separate feed systems to the air inlet to the engine for the two gases, or does it use different "jetting" in the same system depending on which fuel is used?

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator? #23  
Some rough figures considering starting demands without including your lighting demands:

Well = 1,000 watts
Furnace = 1,000 watts
Refrigerator = 1,000 watts
Sump pump (?) = 1,000 watts
Deep freeze (?) = 1,000 watts

You might also want to look into that Champion unit you mentioned; quality & reviews.
our local well installer recommends 3500 watts per HP well pump. this allows for startup inrush to prevent pump damage.

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator? #24  
our local well installer recommends 3500 watts per HP well pump. this allows for startup inrush to prevent pump damage.

That’s over 3 times the required current for a 1 hp motor.

That’s over 3 times the required current for a 1 hp motor.
Starting current is always much higher than running current, especially if there is any load on start up.

Looking around, I came on to these complete carb conversion assemblies to fit Honda and probably Harbor Freight clones that cost less than $50. I think I'll keep an eye out for a good used one or buy one new and then fit a conversion carb. Amazon.com: carburetor conversion natural gas

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator? #28  
Thanks, but I don't need a permanent unit. All I need is to run my well and furnace alternately and a few lights.

I hear this all the time å" but it's all that we need ? Stumbling around in the dark with nothing working gets old real fast . Extension cords run out through doors and windows don't allow locking the door or window. Warm air escapes the house . All to common the cord is a little short , the generator is too close to the house and the wind shifts . The occupants breath in CO and they wake up dead.
A sliding interlock "t��hing a ma jig" on the breaker panel to interlock the main and a top pair of supply breakers , good to go.

Last edited:
I hear this all the time 妬t痴 all that we need ? Stumbling around in the dark with nothing working gets old real fast . Extension cords run out through doors and windows don稚 allow locking the door or window. Warm air escapes the house . All to common the cord is a little short , the generator is too close to the house and the wind shifts . The occupants breath in CO and they wake up dead.
A sliding interlock �hing a ma jig on the breaker panel to interlock the main and a top pair of supply breakers , good to go.
I lived in my last house for 27 years and used a portable generator through a transfer switch for power failures. Lots of neighbors had the automatic backup units and I'd hear them running every week to "exercise". What overkill for an occasional problem.