Neat Farms vs Wingfield Econodrag Chain Harrow

/ Neat Farms vs Wingfield Econodrag Chain Harrow #1  

PatentGuy

Tractor
LX 2610
I am considering a frame chain harrow and have found these units. Just looking for any advice/experience regarding the two. The Wingfield is about $400 more, but may have more ease of use from the description and videos, but hard for me to tell as there is little information regarding the Neat unit that I could find.

My anticipated use is final leveling and preparation before grass seeding. Maybe some dethatching and taking also.

Frame required due to mandatory backing, up/down, small areas in which to work.

All help appreciated.

Thanks!

/ Neat Farms vs Wingfield Econodrag Chain Harrow #2  
I have 2 chain harrows, 5' wide x 9' long from our local auto, farm store.. I pull them side by side with a 5' spreader bar... Some times I pull a set of 7 old light truck tires bolted together to cover 8'6" wide behind the chain harrow, just because I can..

But then, I have plenty of truning room..

/ Neat Farms vs Wingfield Econodrag Chain Harrow #3  

The Wingfield is about $400 more, but may have more ease of use from the description and videos.

My Wingfield Framed Chain Harrow weighs approximately 300 pounds. It is awkward to mount on the Three Point Hitch if/after the storage stands are bent, easy to use after mounting. I rarely use it in other than the most aggressive position.

Mat weight is your friend.

ABI/PRIEFERT Framed Chain Harrow (Texas):

Last edited:
   / Neat Farms vs Wingfield Econodrag Chain Harrow #4  
A less expensive alternative:

/ Neat Farms vs Wingfield Econodrag Chain Harrow
Thanks for the information and for the additional potential source.

Jeff would you prefer the priefert over yours in unbent form?

I suppose from continued reading that a landscape rake might provide a similar usefulness and take up less space. Have never used either so have no idea which would be better for my use beyond what I have read here. I have the land decently level with the box blade, but don't know which of these tools is optimal for final leveling before the grass seed is put down.

Thanks for the information!

/ Neat Farms vs Wingfield Econodrag Chain Harrow #6  
You will probably prefer the Chain Harrow, which is flexible and the mat suspended, therefore follows the contour of the land closely, even as the TPH moves up and down. Due to mat design Chain Harrows do not dig in nor hang up on stumps or roots in the soil.

A rigid Landscape Rake moves up and down with the oscillation of the Three Point Hitch as the tractor wheels encounter uneven ground individually. Even with gauge wheels this is a problem. The Landscape Rake is more for grading when you want to move dirt or gravel to fill low spots, though move less dirt than a Box Blade. ( A heavy Landscape Rake is functionally 1/3 of the way to a rear/angle blade.)

If your dirt contains a lot of 2" to 4" surface rocks, which a Landscape Rake will windrow for removal, it would influence my recommendation an increment toward the rake over the harrow.

I owned an excellent ETA Landscape Rake with gauge wheels but sold it because I used it infrequently in my woodlands trail maintenance. I use the Chain Harrow regularly.

I have not priced ETA Landscape Rakes with gauge wheels in the last two years but I speculate they are twice as expensive as a framed/lift Chain Harrow. Light, cheap Landscape Rakes are practically useless.

Jeff would you prefer the priefert over yours in unbent (?) form?

The only framed Chain Harrow I have experience with is my Wingfield. Bent or straight the stands are raised, therefore out-of-the-way, when the Chain Harrow is in use.

You have not revealed how much space you want to smooth. Have you considered hiring four High Schoolers to power four bow rakes under close supervision?

Last edited: