Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower?

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #11  
Home Depot just started selling the Ryb. - the used to sell Ego. I have invested in the Ego line. What ever you choose, best stick with the same battery fit. All Ego batteries fit ALL Ego products. We have 2 of the 530 leaf blowers, 2 trimmers, and one lawn mower. All batteries are interchangeable. They have all performed well over the three years I have owned them. But, they are not cheap. Mostly because of the cost of the batteries. I think I paid $229 for the trimmers with carbon shaft (each one)with auto reloading head. I think the lawnmower is about $500 and the leaf blowers were about $199 each. But all have outperformed the machine they replaced. The leaf blowers are MUCH better than the old plug in one I had - gave it away. In the past we have had two Toro Personal Pace mowers. They were very good. But heavy - my wife does the mowing. She loves her electric Ego mower. It seems to do as well, but it is only 3 years old so far.

I would also add. If you had to replace a battery for the leaf blower - might as well buy a new leaf blower/battery. The Battery cost $150 for the 2.5 amp battery. Can buy the new blower for $200. The 7.5 amp for the mower is $350 I think. We have not had to replace a battery so far. The batteries and chargers seem to be very good. You can use the 2.5 amp or 5 amp battery in the mower, it will just shorten the run time. Hope this helps. Beat Wishes
You are 100% correct. It pays to choose wisely on that first choice as it sends you down that path to continue on with the same battery brand. And getting a tool with a battery is cost-effective and how I ended up trying out other tools which have mostly been a pleasant surprise.

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #12  
An alternative to a battery powered mower - IF your circumstances fit - is a corded mower. We have quite a bit of lawn in different areas - most but not all is level - and we have used corded mowers for the past ten years or so - we are on our second one. It is easy to get used to the cord - I think we use a 50' cord. we have outside outlets wherever we need them. The first corded mower lasted about 7- 8 years if I recall correctly. Much cheaper than the battery powered units. We have battery powered chainsaws, pole saws (2), blowers, and weed eaters, but are so satisfied with our corded mower that we won't consider a battery powered one. I know the battery units are convenient but for us the cost doesn't justify the convenience we would gain - and the mower is always ready and powerful.

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #13  
I bought a used Black and Decker 36V 20" mower. Had pretty much shot batteries. Found a Utube showing how to replace the 3, 4amp lead/acid batteries with 3 Ryobi lithium 18V batteries from ebay. bought 3, 7 amp chineseium ones for $15 ea. works great.

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #14  
Yes, Home Depot used to sell EGo then suddenly EGo moved to Lowes. EGo is also available from independent dealers. Probably Ace Hardware too.

My 21" EGo SP mower is one of the first. The original 7.5A 56V battery still has at least 90% of its original capacity. Snagged a backpack blower when Home Depot liquidated stock primarily to get an extra 7.5A battery. Got a 2.0A battery with my string trimmer. Have added the latest 18" chainsaw and hedge trimmer to my collection.

Any 21" mower will take 75 minutes to mow my lawn. One 7.5A battery will not quite make it but the 2A is enough to finish. In recent years I have accumulated (3) 7.5A batteries but have been mowing front one day, rear another. Doctor says anything over 25-30 of walking per day goes to waste. Good enough excuse for me to break the mowing into two days of 35-40 minutes.

As already mentioned all EGo batteries are compatible with all EGo tools. The mower seems to work fine on the 2A battery for a short period but for some reason a friend's 14" EGo chainsaw (the first generation, not nearly as good as the current 18") had much lower torque with the 2A than with a 5A or 7.5A. Haven't really tried the 2A on my 18".

With battery tools do not let voltage fool you into believing the tool is better just because voltage is higher. Is primarily something manufacturers do to loosen your pursestrings.

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #15  
Yes, Home Depot used to sell EGo then suddenly EGo moved to Lowes. EGo is also available from independent dealers. Probably Ace Hardware too.

My 21" EGo SP mower is one of the first. The original 7.5A 56V battery still has at least 90% of its original capacity. Snagged a backpack blower when Home Depot liquidated stock primarily to get an extra 7.5A battery. Got a 2.0A battery with my string trimmer. Have added the latest 18" chainsaw and hedge trimmer to my collection.
Glad you mentioned the chainsaw. I forgot that I have a 14" Ego chainsaw. It seems to work well. It comes with and I only use the 2.5 amp battery with it.
I will add that it is SO much easier for cutting tree branches when you are in the tree or on a ladder. It is light weight and, unlike my bigger rancher saw, it can be in the tree with my (not running) and start without the pull cord. Makes it very easy to deal with in awkward locations. Is it free of fossil fuels - probably not - it does need chain oil.

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #16  
The 14" and 16" EGo chainsaws (same thing different bar) were good but the 18" is much more powerful.

My 21" SP mower is at least 5 years old. I do not claim it to be as powerful as my 7.75 ft-lb Snapper but it gets the job done and I no longer wear ear plugs to mow.

I mulch on level 3 of 4 wheel heights. It will clog on 1 or 2 with healthy grass. Found amusing how neatly it lays grass clippings in the bag. Seriously, every blade in neat rows.

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #17  
Take a look at the Stihl RMA510 or 510V One is push the other is Self propelled. I have had Stihl battery products starting with a Hedge trimmer 9 years ago...they are awesome

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #18  
Get yourself a goat. They fertilize while they trim and require no fuel of any kind, electricity or otherwise.

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #19  
Take a look at the Stihl RMA510 or 510V One is push the other is Self propelled. I have had Stihl battery products starting with a Hedge trimmer 9 years ago...they are awesome
Really wanted to buy Stihl battery tools before deciding to buy EGo but was put off with the multitude of different batteries Stihl tools used. Reminded me of the German Engineering Maxim: Make everything complex and wonderful! Do not use a common 12mm bolt head when a rare 11mm bolt is perfect!

Think same sort of thing when I see something using AAA batteries. TV remote, perhaps. Sure, AAA is the "perfect" solution. Meets service requirements. Smaller size. But AA batteries wouldn't make it significantly bigger, heavier, and would last longer, cost less, and we wouldn't need to keep Yet Another Battery Size in the battery drawer.

Similar thing happens on Japanese dirtbikes. The CRF250R might use different clutch and brake levers than the CRF250X. And complicate things by using different levers every year. Local independent shop now refuses to order replacement levers because no matter the cross reference tables the part ordered too often does not fit. Customer returns merchandise. Goes into dealer inventory on the wall. Stays for years until someone happens along who needs that particular lever.

/ Need a nice battery powered walk behind mower? #20  
Get yourself a goat. They fertilize while they trim and require no fuel of any kind, electricity or otherwise.
But the cost of the fence can break the bank.