Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
I have many acres covered with mature pine, 20 ft apart, but also over run with saplings, weedy trees. Rolling hill, kinda bumpy. I致e cleared about an acre or 2 by hand but all the boys are telling me .......bush hog.

Here痴 what I don稚 understand, newby. If I pull a bush hog, I must plow over the saplings with the fel, many 20 ft. I壇 then have to continue driving the tractor over a lot of potentially damage causing trees, basically spring loaded trees. I guess then the bush hog chomps them up?

It痴 been suggested I get a brush cutter which to me, sounds like a bush hog that goes on the front, hydraulic vs pto in the back.

I have a 3rd valve for 4 in 1.

Funny, my first thought was, I wish there was someone i could ask.

Thx

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #2  
The good thing is you have a tractor with ample weight, a Category 2 TPH and ample horsepower for a 72", heavy duty Rotary Cutter weighing 1,300 pounds to 1,400 pounds.

Kubota makes the Land Pride model RCF 3672, with optional chain guards front and rear, nominally rated for 4" cutting capacity. Probably costs around $4,300 pre-tax. And RCF 3672 should meet your needs and remain together. (NOTE: Category 5 drive line.)

A Brown Tree Cutter is more robust but costs more.
BROWN MFG: Brown Manufacturing Corp | 8.633.899

Chain guards front and rear are important so you can cut with the tractor moving forward or in reverse.

A Ratchet Rake attached to your bucket makes pushing over smaller trees or uprooting brush much more practical than an unadorned bucket. I seldom mow jungle without Ratchet Rake on my bucket.
RATCHET RAKE LLC: Ratchet Rake, LLC - All Terrain Rake, Snow Edge, Tractor attachment, Bucket attachment, Loader, Skid loader, Kubota, Skid steer, Landscape rake, Brush remover, York Rake, Harley Rake, Rock Rake, Tractor rake attachment, Construction attachment, New Holland, Bobcat, Fire safety, Home fire safety, Fire prevention, John Deere, skid steer attachment, tractor implement

There are many videos demonstrating Brown Tree Cutters and Ratchet Rakes on YouTube.

Hydraulic power transfer is much less efficient than mechanical power transfer through the PTO.

I mow Florida jungle with my lighter, less powerful tractor powering a Land Pride 60" RCR2660 (Category 4 drive line.) 1,002 pounds. $3,120 in May 2013, pre-tax.

I had Kubota dealer install extemporized expanded steer "armor" under the tractor. Money well spent.

Last edited:
   / Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #3  
A hydraulic cutter on a tractor rarely makes sense. They are expensive, more so when you factor in the PTO driven hydraulic power pack. And they are less efficient.

You kind of have 3 - 4 options.
Mow in reverse the first time & push stuff over with the mower. After that you mow forward normally.

Get an offset mower. My flail mower will hang out a little over 2' to the right. I can drag the 2' of flail through heavy brush off to the side & not drive through it with the tractor. Slow going as you are only using part of the mower, but it's only once.

Rent a forestry mulched once & mow/mulch the trees. Then mow normally with the tractor for maintnance thereafter.

Use the loader (hopefully) as a push bar & just drive over stuff. Pray nothing springs up & damages things under the tractor before it gets to the mower. I don't recommend this, depending on the size of the trees. I've damaged a poorly designed hydraulic hose on my L4060 twice & others have jammed steering, HST & brake linkages or knocked off oil filters doing this. Doable somewhat safely if the trees are under 3', but not really beyond that.

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor
Thx folks for the advice.

I just ordered a 60 in ratchet rake. I had trouble with web site so I called, very helpful, nice folks.

Maybe this will work? It’s gonna be fun testing it out.

Funny, I have the 5 ft bucket that came with the tractor, I use 4 in 1 now. I was going to sell the 5 ft. Now it can be my dedicated ratchet rake bucket.

Thank you!

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #5  
Trees are hard on tractors. Extra armor on grill guard and underneath are helpful. Overhead protection a must. Get the toughest rotary cutter you can.

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #6  
This guy has a series of videos on brush clearing with different machines and techniques. Maybe you will see something that works for you.

YouTube

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #7  
OP, is this considered a tree farm property? If so, you may want to take a look at your state agencies that might offer resources and advice. Forestry commission, dept. of agriculture, or perhaps cooperative extension. Weaving between the mature trees with a 25 foot longish unit (loader, tractor, & mower) may be difficult. Prescribed burning may be an option to clear the underbrush.

Last edited:
   / Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor
Good morning out there.

One of the fellas... suggested ratchet rake, after watching videos I bought 1. $350 vs $3500 plus, worth a gamble? Thx for that.

Yes regarding trees and tractor damage. Inm not going to drive over those things. Ive cleared maybe 2 acres by hand, 8-10 to go. Worst case, I can do that.

Thx for the link to videos, working on iPhone this morning so I will look later but thx.

Someone suggests that, if my property was a tree farm the county ag extension might be of some help. Oh boy.

First off, I am a tree farm recognized by the state, I had to do submit a long form called a f�orestry plan. The only benefit so far is I avoid sales tax on certain purchases. Helped when I bought my new tractor!

It’s all I can do not “go off” as my ex used to say. I will say this. I dealt with the dept of defense, electronic warfare systems, for 30 years. Most of us here do not have enough years left for me to even hi lite the problems associated with dealing with the govt and most of their employees. The govt is people.

I will say this. I have filled out more forms, had more meetings with this county guy, or this ag gal, or the state guy blah blah. It has been a complete waste of my time, they still get paid, well!

When I bought the tree farm, everyone said, the state will burn your land for free, give you lots of free advice, this and that. All bs. They do it, just not for me. Again, Ive been to 10 offices at least. I actually found “ the right guy” and now it’s all about the virus.

If I’ve learned 1 thing dealing with the govt, any level of govt., most of the employees are looking for any reason in the world not to do something, anything. They get a check on Friday regardless. In the private sector we look for reasons to do something, or we don’t get paid.

Ive also learned, virtually everyone has either worked for the govt or is closely related to someone working for the govt so I dont dare tell the truth out loud.

Im just not one of the local boys and that works against me. All wonderful people though.

After 2 years of excuses from our govt, I hired a private forestry guy to burn my land, done in 6 weeks. Paid for by me! That helped but he said 2 more burns at least, just to get back to even.

I’m really holding back, my experience with the local extension has been a complete waste of time, both listening to their double talk, endless forms, and wasting time just waiting for them never to respond.

The prescribed burn was one of the coolest things, done at night. I volunteered to watch the fire breaks so as not to burn neighbors land, what a hoot! I Have pics, no clue how to post from I phone. My fault.

Sorry for the long reply but, you should really hear what I say about dealing with our govt. and their helpful employees. Maybe not