Need advice on soft start module for furnace blower motor.

/ Need advice on soft start module for furnace blower motor. #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
I have a 1/4hp high efficiency motor on my hot air wood furnace and I would like to install a soft start module from Schneider electric to limit the inrush current when it is on my battery backup or my small Honda EU2000i.
The motor cycles on& off frequently when the furnace temp is turned down.
The lights also flicker once when the motor starts.
During an outage at night I switch the house over to my inverter but power the furnace with my EU2000 to conserve the batteries however I need run the blower continuously because the Honda cannot start the blower without having a fit.
I would like to install a soft start for the blower so the Honda can easily start it.
It has a capacitor on it not sure if it is for starting or running.
Attached is the motor information.
Thanks 90cummins

Attachments

• 5C313B6A-76F9-44E8-AE98-C51752AB1D0A.jpeg
    5C313B6A-76F9-44E8-AE98-C51752AB1D0A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 92
   / Need advice on soft start module for furnace blower motor. #2  
I have a 1/4hp high efficiency motor on my hot air wood furnace and I would like to install a soft start module from Schneider electric to limit the inrush current when it is on my battery backup or my small Honda EU2000i.
The motor cycles on& off frequently when the furnace temp is turned down.
The lights also flicker once when the motor starts.
During an outage at night I switch the house over to my inverter but power the furnace with my EU2000 to conserve the batteries however I need run the blower continuously because the Honda cannot start the blower without having a fit.
I would like to install a soft start for the blower so the Honda can easily start it.
It has a capacitor on it not sure if it is for starting or running.
Attached is the motor information.
Thanks 90cummins

what do you mean it has a "fit"? im pretty surprised it can't run it. honda 2k's can generally run 13.5k ac rv units. thats a significantly higher load

/ Need advice on soft start module for furnace blower motor.
what do you mean it has a "fit"? im pretty surprised it can't run it. honda 2k's can generally run 13.5k ac rv units. thats a significantly higher load

It runs it fine it is the initial start that is hard.
It takes 300 watts or so once running but starting takes 15~20 amps.

/ Need advice on soft start module for furnace blower motor. #5  
i use sure start soft start brand units, but like the one posted on amazon there pretty spendy.
made by Hyper Engineering, i use these to start larger heat pumps when on standby generator IF necessary. they work on both 120,240 systems as ordered. extremely pleased with their performance. before using them the generator would lug down and usually the heat pump would shut off. after installing them and running 4-5 cycles (unit learns) i done even notice any change in generator loading and heat pump runs fine.

mine cost me about $250 each ...but i only use the 240v series.

Last edited:
   / Need advice on soft start module for furnace blower motor. #6  
also, the capacitors used on motors do nothing to decrease inrush loads. ive tried hard start capacitors in the past...useless.

the soft starts are electronically controlled.

/ Need advice on soft start module for furnace blower motor. #7  
i ran your numbers from the specs, and calculator shows a 16 amp requirement for starting load.

/ Need advice on soft start module for furnace blower motor.
I have quite a few irons in the fire and I’m now back on the soft start issue.
Will a 3 phase soft start module work on one phase 120v?
There is a 110v 3amp Schneider electric soft start module on eBay for $75.
Thanks 90cummins