Need advise on oil pressure!

/ Need advise on oil pressure! #1  

thetester

Bronze Member
Tractor
3414 IH
Hey guys I have a 20 hp farmpro / jinma actually a 2420. I’ve been battling for a while!

I’ve resorted in a complete rebuild inside and out. Everything is brand new! Yes oil pump also.

When I first cranked it up I would get about 20ish lbs of oil pressure at a little above idle. When I reved the engine towards the upper end, I could reach about 40ish.

I’ve put about an hour on the thing to break it in and now all I can get topped out is 20 lbs. At idle it’s about 5-10!

I have no idea what this thing calls for as what the pressure should be at all.

To me this seems low but I don’t know.

I’ve attempted to dicker with the pressure regulator on the oil filter housing and I get no change no matter what I do.

Any advice ideas or is this just normal??

/ Need advise on oil pressure! #2  
Hey guys I have a 20 hp farmpro / jinma actually a 2420. I’ve been battling for a while!

I’ve resorted in a complete rebuild inside and out. Everything is brand new! Yes oil pump also.

When I first cranked it up I would get about 20ish lbs of oil pressure at a little above idle. When I reved the engine towards the upper end, I could reach about 40ish.

I’ve put about an hour on the thing to break it in and now all I can get topped out is 20 lbs. At idle it’s about 5-10!

I have no idea what this thing calls for as what the pressure should be at all.

To me this seems low but I don’t know.

I’ve attempted to dicker with the pressure regulator on the oil filter housing and I get no change no matter what I do.

Any advice ideas or is this just normal??
The oil pressure gage may be faulty or giving faulty reading , sometimes gunk gets on the end in the engine during rebuilding.

/ Need advise on oil pressure! #3  
I would think at cold start (80 degrees) it should read around 45 and drop to around 30 idle warmed up.

/ Need advise on oil pressure! #4  
5 to 10 psi at idle on a warm engine is acceptable. 20 psi at high idle is about 10 psi less than I'd like to see.
What oil are you using?
Did you install a new/reground crankshaft with appropriate sized main and rod bearings?
Did you have cam reground, and with new bearings correctly oriented?

/ Need advise on oil pressure!
Well It’s a brand new mechanical gauge. I would hope it’s not that. Before I rebuild it and the main reason was low oil pressure.

It’s strange... I was also thinking it should hover at 40-45 then drop to about 30-35.

At real low idle it’s as low ad 5-10.

Any ideas on what to check and how to go about it??

It was a brand new standard crank. New cam new bearings. All brand new and no need to gage. Everything but the head and block is new.

Not sure I'd buy into that philosophy. Did you replace/rebuild the oil pump? Does the oil pump have a pressure release that may be faulty?
Yes brand new pump.

The pump is gear operated internal design. I’ve seen no sign of a relief made into it. The only thing I know that’s on this tractor is what I think to be a oil regulator in the form of a spring and ball bearing tensioned by a set screw.

It is located on the oil filter housing.

I am using mobile delvac 15w-40