Need help choosing a new Kubota mower

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #1  

slus

Tractor
Kubota B2301
I have a bit of a dilemma picking a new mower for my rural property. I currently have a Husqvarna TS348, which I am not happy with, and a Kubota B2301. I want to ditch the Husky this spring and replace it with something, probably Kubota, as I have had very good luck with reliability, parts and local service support with my B2301. Current mowing situation is about 2 acres around the house that I keep green and looking nice but it is far from a manicured lawn, just mowed pasture grass and semi rough ground from roots and squirrel holes. This area is what the new mower will be in charge of. I mow the front pasture with a WoodMaxx flail on the B2301, back pasture with a Land Pride brush hog, and the hills the tractor can't safely do with a DR walk behind brush mower. I replaced my 20 year old DR with a new XD30 last year, it's a beast. All together the outer property is well covered with what I have.

I haven't really used the Husqvarna for a few years, it only has about 60 hours on it, because it is a waste of time for me. I simply don't have the time it takes to mow weekly with that thing, my wife is the only one with the patience to use it. I have to mow at a crawl because it does not have the torque to mow my thick grass. What I have been doing for the last few years is borrowing my dads Kubota BX2360 with MMM. His BX does not even bog down on grass that would stall the Husqvarna even with a half bite pass, but getting it over to my house takes about 30 min. Still way faster than mowing with the Husky.

My dream option would be a 4x4 Kubota F series, but I need to keep this somewhere around 10k, maybe 15k for something that would last many years. So a new F is out of my price range, and I haven't been able to snag a used one in my area for a decent price.

Realistic cheapest Option 1 is a MMM for my current B2301. I'm confident that would work very well, but I'd almost certainly have to remove the MMM to mow the outer property with the flail and brush hog, and probably take the loader off to mow the inner property with the MMM. That's a lot of time switching things around when I'm trying to speed things up, but I only mow the outer property once a month or so. RFM would be much easier to switch, but I'd still need something else to mow around the house and trees if I wanted to keep the loader on.

Option 2 would be buying my own BX with MMM. Used would be preferable but I could swing a new BX1880 and mower. With how easy the BX2360 mows, I think the lower power 1880 would be fine. Seems silly to have a small B and BX at the same time since they are so similar, but my B2301 doesn't take much to maintain so I'm not opposed to it. My wife would probably still mow with a BX too when she has time.

Option 3 would be a Kubota zero turn. There is a TON of different models! I have no idea where to start. Some of the lower end sub 10k models, I'm worried won't have much more cutting power than the 26hp Husqvarna I already have, but diesel options are a bit spendy. I've never driven a zero turn, but I have always heard they are much faster. My wife flat out says she won't learn it after seeing my neighbor zip around on theirs. With how fast they go, I think I could mow more often and keep the grass under control better, and get away with a lower power machine.

I haven't heard much good about the G series Kubotas? I sat on one at the dealer when I bought my tractor, it seemed very dated, I wasn't too impressed. It was only a few grand less than a BX with MMM would be too, and the BX felt much higher quality.

I am very open to your perspectives and if a Kubota doesn't fit the bill, I'd certainly consider something else quality that will last. I despise the part prices I paid for years at the Deere store, but I will say I was mowing with a early 90s LX178 for years and it ran and cut better at 30 years old than the Husqvarna did brand new, I was just spending more than the value of the mower on parts every few years so I ditched it.

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #2  
I am partial to the Kubota diesel zero turns, but I put a lot of hours on them. They are very dependable, plenty of power, and cut well and fast. As you are aware, they are expensive. I believe my newest zd1211 cost 16k 2 years ago.
I sold a zd331 at that time for 7k. It was in good condition, problem free, with 1600 hours. There are used F's and ZD's that are in your price range. Good luck in your decisions and search.

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #3  
I was in similar situation, sold the Husq as it needed too much attention before every mow and went with Kubota Z251. Game changer. Can't keep the wife off this thing. I have a MMM on my LX but the wife normally knocks it down before I think it needs a trim. The 25HP Kohler provides plenty power for my needs and is indeed as fast as a golf cart but has blades.

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #4  
^^^ Yep, I'd go with a good Z-turn. When I say 'good' I mean the non-commercial level. (Unless you want to) Once you get the hang of steering them you can increase the speed, which cuts down on your mowing time.

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #5  
I have had a Kubota z241 for 4 years, with 48"deck to get between trees , and I like it. Sort of between residential and commercial, with 2- cylinder Kawasaki engine. Added a suspension seat base, which made a more comfortable ride. So far, trouble free. A little slippery on steeper hills, but only when wet is it a real problem. It really speeded up mowing to the point where it's actually fun. My old JD riding mower is now relegated to hauling a cart around. I also have a bx25d, but don't want a mowing deck for it.

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #6  
We have the ZD1211 60" deck. No emissions regens and it sips diesel. My wife will jump on it if needed, she likes to mow with it. I use it to cut stuff I really ought to use the tractor and cutter on. The only complaint is if I am mowing and blowing up a lot of dust, the radiator screen clogs up pretty fast. I just have to keep an eye on the temp gauge. To clean the radiator screen is easy, even with it hot. Just open the engine cover and pull the screen up and out. Clean it off with my glove or a small brush and put it back in.

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #7  
Sorry, I meant to say that my mower is a z411. Not sure how my brain turned that around.

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #8  
ZTR's are fast but a brutal ride on rough ground. Commercial Diesel units are cheaper to operate and will run forever at stupid fast speeds. Don't buy one if you have slow reaction times and or are uncoordinated.

I've been working hard to eliminate the first world problems of mowing lawns for my parody of an english country estate. I'm not ready to be forest gump just yet.

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #9  
ZTR's are fast but a brutal ride on rough ground.
You've got that right.
I had a rigid frame Ferris ZT for 15 years. Because of back issues I could no longer tolerate the rough ride.
I ended up getting one of the newer Ferris designs that have a full independent suspension.
It's not the last word in comfort but it is light years ahead of my old rigid frame.

My neighbor, who is much younger than me and who still has a good back loves my old machine.
If you like the old rigid frame Harleys you'll love the rigid frame ZT mowers. 3E26535F-310D-49ED-AFE5-94491DF11696_1_105_c.jpegB719265A-8DFE-43D0-8B34-3ED7916ACFFF_1_105_c.jpeg

/ Need help choosing a new Kubota mower #10  
I just passed the same situation as you are in regarding replacing my 52" Husq. mower. I agree that the Ferris has a lot of good press, but I simply did not like their price. So, I went with the Kubota Z2412 for (sale price) of about $7K OTD.
The Z2412 comes with the better seat option, 26hp Kawasaki engine, and larger tires all the way around. I needed a 48" to be able to get in and around trees & bushes. The clouds of dust isn't something I liked either, so I had the mulching kit installed; problem solved.
Having zero experience of every used a zero turn, I too was apprehensive. After about 20 minutes on the Z2412, that went away. Admittedly, I mow a bit slower than the Pro's, but even so the time to mow my 3 or 4 acres has been cut to at least half, perhaps more. My biggest problem is keeping the spouse off the zero turn mower :) They truly are fun to use.