Need help replacing Terramite backhoe 2WD front spindles

/ Need help replacing Terramite backhoe 2WD front spindles #1  

sceason

Tractor
$tayn2Da4433
Hi guys,
I need some help or advice. I have a mid-sized 2000 Terramite 2 wheel drive backhoe, model T5D (Terramite then changed the name from T5D to T7 around 2000 too and that further complicates my life...). Basically my front spindles are shot. I've replaced some smaller parts that effect the steering like wheel bearings, tie rods, etc. to take out the steering slop but I really need new front spindles or maybe new king pin bushings. I've never replaced any king pin bushings before, and maybe that's the what I need but I'm sure mine are worn badly like everything else on my machine. Since Terramite appears to have closed down, I'm at a loss for what to do. I believe the T5C shares many of the same parts so if you've done anything similar to your machine, can you provide this old man any tips on how to fix my sloppy steering? Did you replace your king pins and if so where did you get yours? What are it's specs? If you replaced the entire front spindles, is that something I can easily do or have done? Having a parts manual with terramite's part numbers for a tractor no longer made is rather useless to me so any help, and I mean any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully I can pass on what I learn to help others here.
Also, anybody ever removed that front axle pin castle nut? Mine won't even budge. Another problem area that I've spent hours on and made no forward progress.

Steve

/ Need help replacing Terramite backhoe 2WD front spindles #2  

setxjeff

Silver Member
Tractor
1951 IH cub, International 254 and 1538 Mahindra Towable Backhoe
they say they stock terramite parts. Would be a good starting point for information

/ Need help replacing Terramite backhoe 2WD front spindles #4  

Matt W

Bronze Member
Tractor
65, 3000 Ford D, Terramite T6

/ Need help replacing Terramite backhoe 2WD front spindles #5  

ROUSTABOUT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
Jack it up and see what wiggles first. Them things go so slow it'd have to be real bad before I paid any attention to it.

/ Need help replacing Terramite backhoe 2WD front spindles
OP
S

sceason

Tractor
$tayn2Da4433
Or here

I appreciate the offer for a near new machine but as you may infer, I already have a machine. Some parts on it are badly worn and in need of being rebuild.
I really need to get that front axle off so I can work on it. I read it was upgraded but don't see any differences in the pictures from the orig. to the upgrade. Anyone know2 what was done to the upgraded part?

I need to get that staked front castle nut off but can't get it to budge. I believe it takes a 1-7/8" wrench or socket. I was able to easily remove the 2.5" staked bolt out of the castle nut that worked like a cotter pin but the axle nut (castle nut) still won't budge. I don't have a very powerful torque gun so maybe it's time to invest in one. By the way it has an axle/castle nut on each side of the axle/frame; the nut goes thru the front axle part that pivots on thru the rear axle/frane part that it mounts to, which doesn't pivot. Any ideas on removing this axle? I have a 1/2" breaker bar but am afraid I'll snap that bar and it wasn't cheap either. Maybe I invest in 3/4" tooling but 3/4" tools are like buying maring parts... BIG $$$ for those sockets/wrenches. Thank you guys! I really appreciate any comments/help. I'm getting older and not as strong or quick in coming up with fixes. Starting to miss my youth here.

/ Need help replacing Terramite backhoe 2WD front spindles #7  

setxjeff

Silver Member
Tractor
1951 IH cub, International 254 and 1538 Mahindra Towable Backhoe
I was not trying to sell you a nearly new terramite, I was just listing different places that worked on them maybe you had missed, in case you wanted to check with them for the information you are seeking. I infer they handle terramites for a living so they would have information. Whether they will part with it is unknown ,but without asking them you will never know

/ Need help replacing Terramite backhoe 2WD front spindles #8  

Matt W

Bronze Member
Tractor
65, 3000 Ford D, Terramite T6
Is there room to get a big pipe wrench on it with a long cheater pipe on the handle for leverage? Heat on stuck nuts is alway a good thing, just be ready to extinguish the fire if the old grease catches.

/ Need help replacing Terramite backhoe 2WD front spindles
OP
S

sceason

Tractor
$tayn2Da4433
I was not trying to sell you a nearly new terramite, I was just listing different places that worked on them maybe you had missed, in case you wanted to check with them for the information you are seeking. I infer they handle terramites for a living so they would have information. Whether they will part with it is unknown ,but without asking them you will never know
I somehow missed that. Maybe a "bud" clouded my thinking. Anywho, thanks for the reply. I lost my computer for a bit but am now "back up and running/reading. I'll call these guys and see what they say! That was a great idea, thanks again!
Steve