Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I need help buying a weight distribution hitch. I don't tow much anymore but do tow 10,000 lbs every now and then with a 10,200 lb max rated vehicle. Usually I haul 7500 lbs for trips up to 50 miles. My neighbor has convinced me I should have a weight distributing hitch but, which one?

After searching I am more confused so I come to the smarter guys here to point me in a direction. Here's a couple I've looked at, mostly because I like their brand name on other things.

Thank you. Any help or advice appreciated.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #2  
I always figured if I need on I’d try an Anderson. No personal experience though.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #3  
I am not a fan of the round arm style, you loose ground clearance. I prefer the trunnion style. It may or may not matter in your use, I do a lot of off highway hauling.

This is the one I have. It may be too heavy for your use, they make them in the 10k range.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/CURT/C17333.html

Hitch 2.jpg

Hitch 1.jpg

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch
   / Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #5  
I always figured if I need on I’d try an Anderson. No personal experience though.
Over on the RV forums, the Anderson seems to have a bad rep for heavy tows (i.e, 10,000). Seems well received for lower weights though.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #6  
I've got a Curt setup, but for a lesser weight rating than 10-14K. They work well and do the job nicely for the trailer I pull. You definitely will have a better towing experience with a WD hitch vs without. I do like the trunnion style, but when I was buying, they were more expensive.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #7  
I only tow a few times a year but when i do it's a full load down (~8K+) to Mississippi and empty coming back to Va.
I went with an Equal-i-zer hitch.
It's really easy to hook up the second time. The first time I had to fiddle around a bit to get it just right.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #8  
That looks pretty nice. So it’s basically quick to put on and take off?

Yes, easy on, easy off. Make sure your trailer tongue is compatible with the over center lift brackets. Also, bar length. Mine is the short bar style to clear the trailer tool box. Keep in mind your truck and trailer height, to insure the right amount of hitch drop/rise.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch
Yes, easy on, easy off. Make sure your trailer tongue is compatible with the over center lift brackets. Also, bar length. Mine is the short bar style to clear the trailer tool box. Keep in mind your truck and trailer height, to insure the right amount of hitch drop/rise.
Good advice that I don't fully understand but will measure today and start figuring things out. One trailer is an 18 ft HD hauler and the other is a 12 ft HD dump.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #10  
you never said what you are towing with?

I've had a lot of trucks and towed a lot of trailers. Never had a weight distribution hitch.
Always had Air Lift air overloads. adjusted the truck height till it was back up where it was without the trailer.
never a issue.