need help with questions on cat skid loader

/ need help with questions on cat skid loader #1  

wendelin

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 185
Probably not the right place to ask, but if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
OK my dads boss just bought a cat 252b2 skid loader. My question is how can you make the loader float in forwards???? He bought a mower for the skid loader and I would like to make it float. I have called 2 cat dealers and looked over the caterpillar web site and nothing. As a side note so fair cat customer service sucks! No call backs from dealers. Eventhough they said I will get right back to you sir.
The operators manual is packed with safety stuff.
The pictures in the manual are not the pictures of the 252b2 interior. This skid loader has less buttons than the manual shows.
Can I switch from hi flow to regular and make it float going forward. It will float going backwards.
anyone know where to find a good skid loader fourm?
thanks for your help
wendal

/ need help with questions on cat skid loader #2  
Only my assumption here, but if it floats in reverse, and not forward, that would have to be a safety thing.
If a person was to float with a bucket on and drive forward, I think it would dig in when it hit a low spot and slam the driver forward...again just speculation.

/ need help with questions on cat skid loader
OK is the only way to mow with it to raise and lower it at every bunp in the ground. I understand about safety. But a mower that doesnot float is not very useful. IMO
thanks
wendal

/ need help with questions on cat skid loader #5  
I ran a Cat 287c the other day and noticed it did not have a float position, or at least I could not find it. Is float available as an option on Cat?

Sorry, off subject but similiar. Not trying to steal thread.

/ need help with questions on cat skid loader #6  
On my cat you put the arms all the way down and hold the right trigger for 2 seconds and It floats, but I never tried it going forward. Also there is a Cat skid steer forum at skidsteerforum.com , hope one of these will help.

/ need help with questions on cat skid loader #7  
apparently "float" differs from CAT to CAT...Mine will float by lowering loader arms to absolute lowest position on right joystick,then pushing the joystick forward once more....like a detent or something in the right joystick..youll feel it in the stick....you should be able to float a MOWER deck forward or backward once in FLOAT....The loader arms / cylinders float-Not the tilt cylinders..once your deck angle/tilt is where you want it,then float the arms..I wouldnt float forward with a bucket ..only back...

/ need help with questions on cat skid loader #8  
allaboutmowing said:
On my cat you put the arms all the way down and hold the right trigger for 2 seconds and It floats, but I never tried it going forward. Also there is a Cat skid steer forum at skidsteerforum.com , hope one of these will help.

I would not like this method.

Scott, your float is the type I am used to, and it is simply the easiest to use.

I did find the float for the 287c I ran. They are making these machines so that you have to read the operating manual just to understand "how" it works. It is similiar to allabout mowing's Cat. On this 287c, you have to push the loader joystick "down", apply and release the trigger, then release the loader down function. There seem to be about a 50/50 chance of getting it right. It's aggrevating. What's wrong with the detent style?

Another not about Cat, and maybe someone else will chime in, but the 287c is running a grapple attachment. I don't know if it's due to the hydraulic performance or some safety feature, but you can not operate the loader, bucket control at the same time that you open/ close the grapple. Another big aggrevation to me.

And the 287c has a higher rated operating capacity, but the RC-100 definitely feels more stable to me. I wish I could run them side x side to compare, but I am almost certain the RC-100 has greater capabilities.

I guess it's the same problem with trucks. I hear many people say they would like a Ford truck, a cummins diesel, and an Allison tranny. Well, I would like a RC-100, Cat's pressurized cab, and somebody's (not sure who) steel tracks. And a factory optional winch!

/ need help with questions on cat skid loader #9  
Rut, Guess we can still run with this thread since it relates to Cat Skid Questions.....

Is the grapple a CAT grapple? Mine is Not...I have all functions still available when using my grapple...loader arms up and down-tilt clinders forward and back-and grapple open and close..I love it.....I wonder if they have something connected wrong on the 287c u speak of......???...I did accidentally run mine with the high flow ON...SLAMS the grapple open and closed...Surprised the cylinder didnt blow.......

/ need help with questions on cat skid loader #10  
Terra Firma Scott said:
Rut, Guess we can still run with this thread since it relates to Cat Skid Questions.....

Is the grapple a CAT grapple? Mine is Not...I have all functions still available when using my grapple...loader arms up and down-tilt clinders forward and back-and grapple open and close..I love it.....I wonder if they have something connected wrong on the 287c u speak of......???...I did accidentally run mine with the high flow ON...SLAMS the grapple open and closed...Surprised the cylinder didnt blow.......

TFS, are your high-flow connectors the same size as the others? How did you hook the grapple to high-flow/

The 287c is a rental unit, but I am not sure what brand grapple it is. I noticed if the grapple is closed and close to the ground, if I open the grapple and start to lift the arms, only the grapple opens. If I am approaching a pile and lift the arms while tilting forward and trying to release the grapple, the grapple does not release (or maybe ever so slowly if I have the RPM's up) until I stop raising/ tilting. I am not sure what the issue is, but I definitley do not like it.