Need ideas for dog proof fence

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
We live in the country on 27 acres. We have two dogs that have roamed around free their whole lives. One is 8 and the other 4. They are strays that showed up and decided to hang around. The kids like them.

It was never really an issue but now they are building more houses around us and the dogs are bothering people and I get it. We have decided we want to fence them in but I am not quite sure the best way. These dogs are escape artists. I built a pen for them that was roughly 75’x15’, five foot tall, with the galvanized horse panels with 2”x4” openings. They climb right out of it. We have a five foot wooden fence around our pool and the dogs climb over it. I have seen them jump four foot fences.

What would be best to make this out of so that they can’t escape? How big does it need to be so that leaving them in there they are not too confined?

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #2  
We had a leaper and a digger. 60" Woven wire fence, two rows, one stacked on top of the other. The bottom portion was folded so part of it was laying on the ground to keep the digger from digging through, then stacked the second row on top of the bottom. Our pen is close to an acre in size.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #3  
When one of my girls goes into heat, the boy will do almost anything to get to her. I've built the fence as solid as possible, but he will dig, or just keep jumping on it to weaken it. When I added a hot wire, his attitude changed dramatically. He still wants into the area that the girl is in, but now he just goes back and forth along the fence without touching it.

One zap works wonders at how they treat a fence!!!

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence
   / Need ideas for dog proof fence #5  
I used a fairly cheap electric fence with a wire near the bottom and one near the top. After getting popped a few times they stay away. I can turn it off and they don't know the difference.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #6  
What Eddie said. I had bear hounds and they would dig or climb no climb wire fencing. Fido-Shock is a lower powered fence charger that works great. I ran one wire near the top and one wire along the ground. They get zapped once and they avoid the fence. No more climbing or digging near the fence.
Patrick

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #7  
I used a fairly cheap electric fence with a wire near the bottom and one near the top. After getting popped a few times they stay away. I can turn it off and they don't know the difference.
they cant smell it when its on? cows can.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #9  
When I got my first couple of cows I had a learning curve on keeping them out of the garden, Finally put up a hot wire. After about a month I was certain I won. They would come over to the fence and just stare at the garden plants and leave. So why do I need to leave the fence plugged in. Unplugged it and went in the house. The cows came over to the garden... sniffed the fence and proceeded to knock down the hotwire and fence and enjoy my garden.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #10  
I have used e-collars for 15 years with my dogs and will always do so in the future. Follow the directions and don’t try to speed the process, they’ll work out just fine.