Need Mig Upgrade

/ Need Mig Upgrade #1  

mitchash

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra MAX 28XL, Jinma 254 (Sold)
I have a Clarke 130EN mig welder and it has been a great machine for the last 15 + years. But now Im looking for a upgrade. I started thinking I wanted a multiprocess welder, but the prices and reviews werent that good. I have now been thinking for my price range and my needs, a Hobart 210mvp would be good. Anyone have any experience and thoughts about this model? Thanks

/ Need Mig Upgrade #2  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
Hmm. I thought the prices and reviews on the multiprocess units were all good. Note: The 210 Mvp is really only 150 amps output at 23v. If I were you and wanted a true upgrade, i'd look for a 250amp of some sort. Good Luck in your hunt.

/ Need Mig Upgrade #3  

MinnesotaDaveChalmers

Platinum Member
Tractor
WD Allis Chalmers
Hmm. I thought the prices and reviews on the multiprocess units were all good. Note: The 210 Mvp is really only 150 amps output at 23v. If I were you and wanted a true upgrade, i'd look for a 250amp of some sort. Good Luck in your hunt.

Respectfully, that is misleading.
Although they provided a rating at 150 Amps 30% duty cycle, the max is still 210 amps at 15% duty cycle.

Those numbers are normally at 40°c or 104°f and will be better as the ambient temp decreases.

Screenshot_2019-03-29-21-36-41.png

/ Need Mig Upgrade #4  

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
Lower priced multi-process and multi-voltage units can have the kid in candy store effect on buyers. They do more procceses or run on multi-volts but non as well as single volt input and dedicated process machine. The specs say 20% duty cycle @ 90a on 120v and 30% duty cycle @ 150a on 230v. 90amps isn't going to weld much,esp @ 20% duty. I queston if it's worth being able to run off 120 volts when that's all the power available. And that's on a 20 amp outlet so even less on a 15 amp. For less money you can buy a 190 Handler that come's close or for a little more than the 210MVP,you can have an Ironman which is a hoss. Do you not have 220 available most of the time?

/ Need Mig Upgrade #5  

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
The Lincoln MP210 has been wildly popular and has a good reputation. If you didn’t need AC TIG that’s the way to go.

/ Need Mig Upgrade #6  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Lower priced multi-process and multi-voltage units can have the kid in candy store effect on buyers. They do more procceses or run on multi-volts but non as well as single volt input and dedicated process machine. The specs say 20% duty cycle @ 90a on 120v and 30% duty cycle @ 150a on 230v. 90amps isn't going to weld much,esp @ 20% duty. I queston if it's worth being able to run off 120 volts when that's all the power available. And that's on a 20 amp outlet so even less on a 15 amp. For less money you can buy a 190 Handler that come's close or for a little more than the 210MVP,you can have an Ironman which is a hoss. Do you not have 220 available most of the time?
Mitch, good luck on your hunt. I liked jaxs comment about multi process and kid in a candy store. I'm a relative newbie and occasional welder and almost went that way. Decided instead to focus on MIG as only machine and then add other process machines as needed. I went with a Miller 211 transformer model before the induction units were available. Happy with the transformer model... as I wonder how long/reliable circuit boards will last in these new 'efficient' models will last.

Well it has been a few years and still loving my dedicated MIG. Added a plasma cutter and now thinking TIG although been living without so far. Of course it all depends on your needs and finances. Having independent set ups for different processes is appealing to me. Guess I am either lazy or spoiled. :laughing:

Last edited:
   / Need Mig Upgrade #7  

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
Guess I am either lazy or spoiled. :laughing:
Clear evidence of too much free time,too much food and drink plus lack of physical and mental activity.:silly:

/ Need Mig Upgrade #8  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Clear evidence of too much free time,too much food and drink plus lack of physical and mental activity.:silly:
It is a battle I fight everyday. If I could eliminate sleep and I could be productive and lazy and no one would know.

/ Need Mig Upgrade #9  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
A friend bought a MVP about a month ago with spool gun and cart. We hooked it up and ran .030, 035 and 035 Aluminum on 230v & 50 amp breaker. We put DC tongs on the ground cable and we could only get 151 amps output. that's what I based my post on. I don't think there is an issue with the machine.. Not exactly sure why we couldn't get to the 200 amp output.

/ Need Mig Upgrade #10  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Personally I gave up stick welding 12 or so years ago, and don't ever need TIG.... About 6 years ago bough a Hobart Handler 140 (120 volt) machine, very much impresses with it as to quality, and has been trouble free from the time I have had it (other than funky ground clamp on early models- Hobart has upgraded ground clamp on later models) .... That being said, I wished I had the foresight to get the 210 MVP as I find my welding jobs get bigger every year..... Beauty is its very portable as you can take it over to buddies house and If he only has 120v power you can still weld up to about 1/4 inch martial pretty easy .... Love solid wire and shield gas with he 140 and yes it will do fluxcore, but I hate the spatter and slag, but will use it in desperate conditions...

Might go to Hobart "weld talk" forums and check what other have to say....

And their tech support will usually have answer for you with 24 hours....

Forums -

Weld Talk Message Boards

Also here is manual for the HH 210MPV for your perusal...

https://www.hobartwelders.com/files/owners-manuals/O260274E_HOB.pdf

Not associated in any way with Hobart just a happy owner/user...

Dale