Need older tractor recommendations for round baling.

/ Need older tractor recommendations for round baling. #1  

FarmerRancher

Tractor
Kubota L2800
I currently own a Kubota L2800, which obviously doesn't have enough horsepower for round baling. My partner in the round baling equipment has a JD 4640 that I can use to run the equipment that we own together. But, I just don't like borrowing and possibly breaking somebody else's stuff. So, I'm looking for a "new to me" tractor to handle the mowing, raking, baling and stacking. Budget is limited, so the best equipment I can get for the price is the objective with lowest used price and doing the job being my main prerequisites. Not really looking to buy a machine thats not running. I have enough to do with getting the baler completely refurbished and I'm a one man show.

I'll be running a disk mower, rake (no model number yet) and a Vermeer 605H round baler from around the 80's.

Might be opening a can of worms, but anyone know some good models for this job that I might be able to find used?

/ Need older tractor recommendations for round baling. #2  

maybe a bit big but not a bad ride.

budget? what is the terrain like? do you have to worry about it being wet? can you live with stacking with another machine? how much hay do you make a year?

with older stuff its more important to get something that has been maintained than to find a specific model.

/ Need older tractor recommendations for round baling. #3  
A good JD 4020 is what I would be looking for in an open station. But with a canopy and loader. They were one of JD‘s best models.

Last edited:
   / Need older tractor recommendations for round baling.

maybe a bit big but not a bad ride.

budget? what is the terrain like? do you have to worry about it being wet? can you live with stacking with another machine? how much hay do you make a year?

with older stuff its more important to get something that has been maintained than to find a specific model.
Terrain is Oklahoma flat where I’ll be baling. Less than 6 foot drop in 1/2 mile. Wet is a problem this year, but not usually. I’d like to be able to stack, but it’s definitely not high on the priority list. Shouldn’t be baling more than about 90 acres, tops. Yield varies greatly. I got 37 bales on 6 acres one year. Havent approached that since, though. Agree completely on the maintenance issue. But, I am blessed to have a neighbor thats a tractor collector and aircraft mechanic. I’ll definitely be getting his input on anything before i actually buy.

/ Need older tractor recommendations for round baling. #5  
50-60 hp minimum. Some older tractors don't have sufficient hydraulics to lift v-rakes or baler door. Neighbor had a Farmall 60 and I had to run his rake and baler for him. Farmall didn't have enough flow for newer equipment.

/ Need older tractor recommendations for round baling. #6  
1066!

At least that’s the tractor I’m trying to find.

/ Need older tractor recommendations for round baling. #7  
I good JD 4020 is what I would be looking for in an open station. But with a canopy and loader. They were one of JD‘s best models.
This.

/ Need older tractor recommendations for round baling. #8  
I started custom rd baling in '87 with an open station JD 4030 tractor(80 pto hp). After a couple of yrs of breathing in dust I traded for a JD 4240(110 pto hp). In '93 I traded for a JD 4255 that I use for baling up to present.

If anyone rd bales hay that been rained on after being cut you'll be begging for a tractor with a cab with operating AC. I'd look at a JD 30 & up series rowcrop tractor. JD 50 & 55 series utility tractors with factory cabs have too many electrical & hyd problems for my liking.

I personally don't like ""operator inconvience on IHC 06,56,66 & 86 rowcrop tractors"'. I drove my friends IHC 986 for 1/2 day using a 24 ft 3 pt field cultivator. I didn't like the trans shifter,scv or 3 pt controls & location. Therfore I replaced 986 with my 4225 on the field cultivator & chose never to drive the 986 again.

/ Need older tractor recommendations for round baling. #9  
I would consider most tractors between 90 and 140 HP.
Myself I'm partial to IH over Deere many people are the other way.
I wouldn't be afraid of any of the major manufactures, IH, Case, Ford, any of the AGCO line or even Deere.
I would also agree I would want a cab and working AC for a haying tractor.
I believe that you can get more value for your dollar on most any compared to Deere.
Myself I never felt operator inconvenience while running an IH. My most desired for your
application would be a big larger it would be the CIH Magnums the 7100 or 7200 even in 2wd drive with that full
18 sp power shift they are durable dependable and a joy to run.

/ Need older tractor recommendations for round baling.
The JD 3020 and 4020 are high on my list at this point. Some of my neighbors have also mentioned them. But, im ofan open mind.