Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #31  
To clarify for everyone, GM has multiple 6.0L small blocks. We are talking about the iron-block LQ4, with zero fancy bullshit.

Yes, bolded is the important part. However, we are talking about the L96, not the LQ4. The LQ4 was used through the beginning of the 2007 model year. The late 2007-2009 MY got the L76. From 2010-2017, the L96 was used. These are all really a series of small changes, from generation to generation.

1677CF22-173A-44F6-B7E1-725F8340D800.png

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD
Agreed. The fact that they had a 20 year production run and not one person in this thread has had anything bad to say which is probably a first speaks volumes for them. The one I had was still running with over 300k when I sold it. One of my buddies drove one for a year with no oil pressure. It had oil in the pan but it was verified with a manual gauge it had no oil pressure. Their cousin motor the 366 is also extremely reliable. They’ve been running wide open in medium duty trucks since the 60s. They’re not fast or fuel efficient but they get the job done.

I like GM motors for simplicity and ease to work on. I ended up passing on this truck. They wanted too much money (34k) and were not willing to negotiate much. I guess this is due to this so called chip shortage. Who knows. After more thought, I think I may go with 4wd. My wife reminded me of a few horse shows we frequent, if the weather were to be bad, we would be in a bind with 2wd. She is right as I now remember about 18 years ago pulling several 2wd 3/4 and 1 ton trucks out the mode with my 4wd F150. They didn’t sink per say, but couldn’t get traction on wet dirt to push truck forward.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #33  
I like GM motors for simplicity and ease to work on. I ended up passing on this truck. They wanted too much money (34k) and were not willing to negotiate much. I guess this is due to this so called chip shortage. Who knows. After more thought, I think I may go with 4wd. My wife reminded me of a few horse shows we frequent, if the weather were to be bad, we would be in a bind with 2wd. She is right as I now remember about 18 years ago pulling several 2wd 3/4 and 1 ton trucks out the mode with my 4wd F150. They didn’t sink per say, but couldn’t get traction on wet dirt to push truck forward.
I have this same truck. A 2016 CC std bed with 6.0 bought new but with 4WD. Bought it for towing and I'm pleased with the power. About the only thing I don't like is the poor MPG but it is built to tow. I have recently checked and found retail book values between 34-36K but mine has low miles (only 21K). It easily hauls my 11K camper, 14K dump trailer or 14K tilt bed car trailer. I could not justify buying a diesel for the little towing I do.

Attachments

• DSCN1737 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1737 (Medium).JPG
    615.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN1768 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1768 (Medium).JPG
    915.7 KB · Views: 83
   / Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD
I have this same truck. A 2016 CC std bed with 6.0 bought new but with 4WD. Bought it for towing and I'm pleased with the power. About the only thing I don't like is the poor MPG but it is built to tow. I have recently checked and found retail book values between 34-36K but mine has low miles (only 21K). It easily hauls my 11K camper, 14K dump trailer or 14K tilt bed car trailer. I could not justify buying a diesel for the little towing I do.

Very nice!

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #35  
Nice truck. I share your concerns about fuel economy, but when you're only using it for 4K miles per year it's better to have the proper tool for the job.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #36  

Good luck and probably a good call on passing on the 2wd. I looked for about a year before I found my 2500HD 6.0 truck, they’re hard to find around me for whatever reason. The ones I found were either a few years old and seen better days or fully loaded trucks that they wanted more for than most diesels.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #37  
Not the best market to buy in right now I know. Looking at this truck, 6.0 gas, 2wd, 4.11 gears for our farm tow vehicle. Work truck package. Power windows, power locks, vinyl seats and rubber floors. Give me some opinions. I am familiar with GM as we own a 2015 Yukon XL, but never owner a 2500 or 6.0. View attachment 708237
Only problems with 6.0 is make sure top bracket on oil dipstick is fastened. Buy a new 3 way radiator hose assembly for it. Because when it goes out you are stranded. Take the old assembly and make a steel pipe 3 way and clamp the hoses on it for next time. I worked shop for a company that ran them. We sold when they hit 500k. I'm a Ford guy but I'd drive one of them in a heartbeat. Maybe get a lunchbox locker for the rear end and a couple of mud grippy tires. You will be set. If it don't have tow hooks get some.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #39  
2300 dollar option.

And it’s a 6.0 vs a 6.2? I’ve seen 6.2s in half tons and I’ve seen 6.0s in 2500 suburbans but I’ve never seen a 6.0 in a 1500 suburban.

Last edited:
   / Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #40  
Could be a 6.2, I'll have to look actually. There were 2 engine choices, the smaller 5.3 ( think and the bigger one) and my wife got the bigger one. It's a 2020 Suburban LTZ, 4wd.

With gas being what it is, probably not a good decision but then I don't pay for the gas or the car payment either. her buggy.

Told her she should have went all out and got the Allison too. She didn't.
\
Dang thing cost more than the farm anyway.