Need replacement for Stihl ms241

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #11  
They are pretty simple to rebuild. It always seems intimidating but it’s really not. This is most of the parts from when I rebuilt my MS250. Eric on this board helped me some picking out higher quality parts. I spent much more time cleaning oil and saw dust off than actually taking it apart and putting it back together.
51B8B397-8162-440C-AED0-2E135BD38816.jpeg
2F14C248-E4AB-45BE-8EEF-E2A2ED146EAF.jpeg

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #12  
If you liked your 241 bar and chain set up switch it over to your 261. If you have a older Gen 1 261 it will be heavier saw. But if Gen 2 or 3 it will be light like the 241.

Gen 2 261 in pic when they went lighter. Can tell by clutch covers and slant fins by quick look.

s241weight.jpg
s2612weight.jpg

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #13  
You have to make sure bars and chains are compatible. I know the 18“ chains for my 250 won’t work on my 261. I think the bar is a little taller on my 261 but I’m not sure.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #14  
You have to make sure bars and chains are compatible. I know the 18“ chains for my 250 won’t work on my 261. I think the bar is a little taller on my 261 but I’m not sure.
241 261 basically same saws. Can swap all B+C rim drum etc from 241 to 261.

Your 250 plastic saw is totally different mount.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #15  
There's a ton of more knowledgeable folks on chainsaws, but I have 4.5 or 5 depending how you classify cordless, saws that still work A Stihl Ms 311 20" hands down amazing saw for bigger stuff, an old lighter craftsman with 18" bar I use for limbing, both are up north used a few times a year limbing and felling trees for making wood, downstate I use a DeWalt 20volt (wife uses it extensively) its unfortunately not a true top handle, a 20 volt DeWalt pole saw thats not the best balanced especially with extension on it but one of my favorites is my newer echo CS 400 18" bar that replaced a unreliable nightmare 18" Stihl 270c I believe, I'd take it apart get it running great on my workbench a week later I'd take it out to use and nothing 🤬. The echo is light and well balanced powerful enough for small/ medium stuff, priced right, more importantly its reliable always starts and runs like it's supposed to. My dad used to be an echo dealer and still has a 35 yr old 16" echo thats survived a ton of abuse. For me anyway weight, durability/reliability are important depending on what I'm doing.

Attachments

• KIMG1353.JPG
    KIMG1353.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • KIMG1352.JPG
    KIMG1352.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
   / Need replacement for Stihl ms241
Well, after these comments I am emboldened to at least disassemble the old 241 to find out what went wrong. So far I have had time only to take off the various covers, including the starter. When I try to turn the flywheel by hand, it turns easily one-half revolution in either direction, then stops. Does this suggest anything? I won't have a chance to work on it until later in the weekend.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #17  
Well, after these comments I am emboldened to at least disassemble the old 241 to find out what went wrong. So far I have had time only to take off the various covers, including the starter. When I try to turn the flywheel by hand, it turns easily one-half revolution in either direction, then stops. Does this suggest anything? I won't have a chance to work on it until later in the weekend.
Does it stop as in gets hard to turn by hand or locks up so tight you cannot turn it with a wrench?

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #19  
I'm glad you're talking a crack at it.👍
Between some forums and YouTube you almost have nothing to loose.
I was going to suggest at least get an estimate from someone who doesn't sell saws then reccomend looking at an Echo, a much more reasonably priced saw of equal reliability and reputation. This from a guy with a half dozen or so Stihls.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #20  
They are pretty simple to rebuild. It always seems intimidating but it’s really not. This is most of the parts from when I rebuilt my MS250. Eric on this board helped me some picking out higher quality parts. I spent much more time cleaning oil and saw dust off than actually taking it apart and putting it back together.
View attachment 771100View attachment 771101

I agree. The smaller Stihls are not really problem to take apart
I rebuilt my 250 when the plastic caged bearings let go.