Neighbor ignored advice

/ Neighbor ignored advice #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
My neighbor finally got around to replacing his old Deere tractor. He was interested in my Kubota L3130, but quickly decided it was too small for his needs. (well, his hired man's needs- this is gentleman landowner with hobby cattle, not a farmer). He got a new cabbed Deere 5055E recently, and in talking with his hired man, who uses it, I learned the cab's AC, which started out strong, is now not putting out cold air. A cab, in Maryland's summer climate, needs AC. Worse yet, the 3 point hitch hydraulics stopped working. I recommended they get a Kubota, but they didn't listen! Now, they're waiting for the dealer to get to it: farmer's first, as it should be.

/ Neighbor ignored advice #2  
Perhaps the Gentleman Farmer heeded the advice of another neighbour.

Or a number of other neighbours.

/ Neighbor ignored advice #3  
Sounds like sour grapes to me. He has the right to buy whatever he wants. I'm sure if he asked 5 neighbors or friends, every one of them would have had a different opinion.

/ Neighbor ignored advice #4  
Yeah, and so what?! You give advice, someone chooses what to do with it. Ignore it, follow it, why do you care what someone else does? Same thing could happen with any tractor brand. You're just pissed he didn't buy your leftovers.

/ Neighbor ignored advice
Whoa, guys... lighten up a bit. I wasn't troubled by the fact he didn't buy my "leftovers", in fact I sold it within a week for more than I had told him when he asked about it. He had complained about his old Deere's issues, and the Deere dealer, which led me to suggest that since I had had such good luck with several Kubotas, maybe he should check them out. No doubt any brand of new tractor can have teething problems. I was just trying to poke Deere, but I guess I poked too many folks! Maybe I should have posted this on the Kubota page, in hindsight.

Last edited:
   / Neighbor ignored advice #6  
I've had a number of cabbed tractors and will say they tend to have more maintenance to keep the A/C running well. Mainly it's keeping all the filters and screens cleaned for condenser, evaporator, intake cab air, and etc. Also, the 3PH issue may be something simple, have to wait and see what that is.

/ Neighbor ignored advice #7  
I can remember when a fellow in my neighborhood bought a new cabbed Kubota to do hay baling. It was no more than a couple of months old when his A/C quit putting out cold air. Now the dealer would have taken care of it, but it happened to be on a Sunday when the dealer was closed and hay on the ground needed baling. So he took it to an independent mechanic that I had also used for my car once, and to whom I'd sold some Matco tools, and I happened to stop by to visit and found that the only thing wrong with that Kubota's A/C was the build up of grass seeds and such on the front of the radiator. The mechanic simply washed it off real good, and everything worked fine.

/ Neighbor ignored advice #8  
So he took it to an independent mechanic that I had also used for my car once, and to whom I'd sold some Matco tools, and I happened to stop by to visit and found that the only thing wrong with that Kubota's A/C was the build up of grass seeds and such on the front of the radiator. The mechanic simply washed it off real good, and everything worked fine.
Good example of what may be wrong in this case. I have to constantly clean the screens and filters on both my Green and Orange cabbed tractors to keep the A/C working efficiently. Especially when haying and the A/C goes awry the high cab temperature can be intolerable.:fiery:

/ Neighbor ignored advice #9  
Whoa, guys... lighten up a bit. I wasn't troubled by the fact he didn't buy my "leftovers", in fact I sold it within a week for more than I had told him when he asked about it. He had complained about his old Deere's issues, and the Deere dealer, which led me to suggest that since I had had such good luck with several Kubotas, maybe he should check them out. No doubt any brand of new tractor can have teething problems. I was just trying to poke Deere, but I guess I poked too many folks! Maybe I should have posted this on the Kubota page, in hindsight.

You're right. I misread what you were intending to say, maybe because had you said it as you just did it would have been more clear. I'm not blaming you for how I interpreted what you had said, I am saying I apologize for being too harsh in my comment about your leftovers. Sorry.

BTW, glad to hear you got it sold and for more. hopefully you may be able to 'help' your neighbor still by supporting his decision and occasionally say to him: "you know, I tried to tell you before.....":laughing:

/ Neighbor ignored advice
Coyote, no problem. I don't like guys we used to call "flamers" (self-defined experts who offer unwanted advice, often wrong, endlessly) any more than the next person. No, my neighbor is a very wealthy, very confident guy, so I doubt if he would consider me for advice, although he might observe whatever I am up to and form his own opinions. I will suggest to his groundskeeper, who I am friendly with, that he check for debris build up, just in case he hasn't already done that. Luckily, weather here feels more like October than July right now, but surely it will get HOT and HUMID soon enough. He may in fact have bought the perfect tractor- just needs some sorting out. Interestingly, even though they got it with filled rear tires, a full loader bucket of dirt was bouncing the rear around, so they added (I think) about 1000 lbs of wheel weights per wheel?!