Neighbor thinks pot growers are in the area

/ Neighbor thinks pot growers are in the area #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
Wondering if anyone has had to address this issue.
First off, I have no open areas to get much light. Not sure if that is good for this crop or not. Maybe I don't need to worry about it if they need 1/2 day of sunlight.

My instincts are to not start a fight without knowing who the enemy is but my guess is that it is some locals looking to make a few bucks.
Not interested in having the forest set on fire as pay back either, it isn't worth it.

I am too remote to get sherrif involved. I am thinking that that best method might be to slowly kill it with some roundup so they think its just a bad place to plant it.
If I see someone on my land, I would chase them off but guessing I will never see them as you can hear anything in the woods with all the leaves and sticks on the ground.

Anyone else solved this?

/ Neighbor thinks pot growers are in the area #3  
My guess would be moonshiners. :)

/ Neighbor thinks pot growers are in the area
The neighbor thinks it... have you actually seen it?
I trust my neighbor and they have it at the end of their property and see a green ATV visiting on occasion. There are others confirming that it is an issue.
Rider has a helmet on and there are countless green ATVs so it's not like you can follow them or get a plate number.

Regardless of whether I have seen it myself, I would like to have a plan. I am just that way.

/ Neighbor thinks pot growers are in the area #5  
I trust my neighbor and they have it at the end of their property and see a green ATV visiting on occasion. There are others confirming that it is an issue.
Rider has a helmet on and there are countless green ATVs so it's not like you can follow them or get a plate number.

Regardless of whether I have seen it myself, I would like to have a plan. I am just that way.
My plan would be to see if it's a problem to begin with.

If it is actually there, on your property, it's really best for your own well being that you don't touch it, and don't be caught hanging around it, spraying it, etc.

Report it to the local police. If they won't do anything about it, report it to the state police. At least with an official report on record, you can't be blamed if the authorities find it later in the season.

/ Neighbor thinks pot growers are in the area #6  
Many years ago, there was a large patch of pot growing on our property. It was wild, not cultivated. Very common around here, as they used to grow hemp for the big wars. I called the county police and they told me to spray it. I told them I couldn't spray it because A: spray was too expensive and B: it was right next to a waterway and the spray could contaminate the water. So they came out and pulled it all out themselves. I think that was in the early 90's.

/ Neighbor thinks pot growers are in the area #7  
It looks like you only have 5 acres. I would make a daily routine of walking your perimeter and eventually you will find somebody or evidence of somebody frequenting the area. Usually if a trespasser sees activity they will go elsewhere.

/ Neighbor thinks pot growers are in the area #9  
Many years ago, there was a large patch of pot growing on our property. It was wild, not cultivated. Very common around here, as they used to grow hemp for the big wars. I called the county police and they told me to spray it. I told them I couldn't spray it because A: spray was too expensive and B: it was right next to a waterway and the spray could contaminate the water. So they came out and pulled it all out themselves. I think that was in the early 90's.
I was raised in Southern Indiana and I recall something about a bunch of Hemp having to be burned.

Later, I discovered that the area was a major hemp-growing center. They made (I guess) rope out of it.

I have been told that the rope-making hemp isn't worth a flip for personal consumption.

Most areas don't pay any attention to it anymore.

/ Neighbor thinks pot growers are in the area #10  
If it is actually there, on your property, it's really best ... don't be caught hanging around it ...
Surprising advice. As the trespasser's grows expands, then the property owner should just eventually plan to move away? :D

If it's a successful "bootleg" pot grow this year, next year it will be bigger. CA has had numerous wildfires started from such growers, not to mention theft of irrigation water and a lot more.