New Chains for my MT225S

/ New Chains for my MT225S #1  

kormidoit

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 LS MT225S, 2003 Kubota BX2200
Purchased 12x16.5 ladder chains (4 link). Do I need to purchase spacers also ??

/ New Chains for my MT225S #2  
I'm a bit confused.

I'm assuming your asking about spacers because you're concerned about clearance between the tire and fender?

Spacers wont push the tire out that far, to where the chains wont hit. In fact, since the tires are slightly domed in the middle, they will likely put that dome, center of the tire, just under the lip of the fender, decreasing the clearance.

If you keep the chains tight, as in, let the air out, install the chains tight, use springs or bungies to keep the tight, then air up the tire again, and keep the loose links wire tied down, you shouldn't hit anything. However, I do not know the clearance between your fender and tire on your tractor, or how thick the chains are.

For that fact, I don't even know if I am answering the right question. :eek:

/ New Chains for my MT225S #3  
To tension my chains I made up a nice big loop using bungee cord and 6 'S' hooks.

When I link up I keep the inner very tight and any slack outside then use attach my bungee thing for tension.
After driving a few hundred feet or so the outer bungee ring has taken any/all the slack and I have a nice ride.

/ New Chains for my MT225S
Pretty vague huh? Ok, I purchased the chains and they need resizing. My concern is for the size of the chain is 3/8"...I have plenty of clearance at the top of the fender...but no so much at the inner fender well. I needed to take one cross link off. ran down the street and back. Re-adjusted the outside and It's also tensioned with 5 point bungee.
Still a little rubbing on the inner fender well. If I adjust out further on the inside...the cross link hits the part of the frame where the BH attaches....the frame is flared out to help guide the frame to the BH. So would spacers help get me more room to not worry about hitting the inner fender or the flare outs ?? I hope this helps. I would post pics.....but its hit or miss with pics.

/ New Chains for my MT225S #5  
I run European style chains on my mt225s,but i have 3 inch spacers on the rear which makes a huge difference in stability of the machine

/ New Chains for my MT225S
Wider stance on rear....me thinks 'more' stable ?? After some mods to my chains....working good after tensioning the crap out of them.

/ New Chains for my MT225S #7  
The spacers give plenty of room for the chains, with out them it was to close for comfort, six inches of spread really can be significant on even a moderate slope, and chains and loaded tires help to keep you there, on the slope that is. This small tractor with industrial tires is poor in snow and ice, i even run chains on the front

/ New Chains for my MT225S #8  
I know its a great pic but you can probably see what the spacers do for the chsins

Attachments

• 20210113_191431.jpg
    20210113_191431.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 83