New deck on my trailer today.

/ New deck on my trailer today. #1  

Billrog

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2610, 580 SuperM Case Backhoe
Decided the last time I loaded my tractor it was time for a new deck. So found a bit fir knocked it down and made some planks a full 2" x 12" & 14".

When I bought this trailer new 10 years ago the sales man told me it was a 6,000 lb. trailer but I questioned him because it had 8 bolt 10 ply load range E tires on it & a very heavy frame. He stuck to his story so I paid him the $1,700.00 and headed for home with it. Today with the deck off the tags on the 3" axles both say 7,000 lbs. so I guess I got a deal.

Got rained out only thing left is to put back the angle iron over the 2 ends of the planks on the deck.

Here's a shot of the trailer with a load of free 20' logs a few years ago.
Load of logs 004.jpg

Last edited:
   / New deck on my trailer today. #2  
When I bought this trailer new 10 years ago the sales man told me it was a 6,000 lb. trailer but I questioned him because it had 8 bolt 10 ply load range E tires on it & a very heavy frame. He stuck to his story so I paid him the $1,700.00 and headed for home with it. Today with the deck off the tags on the 3" axles both say 7,000 lbs. so I guess I got a deal.

So you havent been underneath for inspection or maintenance in your 10 years of ownership ?? ;)

/ New deck on my trailer today. #3  
Looks good. Only problem I see is the wood is green and not kiln dried so it will shrink. I did the same thing last year. I installed freshly milled 2" x 10" x 12' hemlock on a classic truck bed. It was so tight I had to use a 4 x 4 and a sledge hammer to drive the last board in place. I fastened mine with Stainless hardware. Truck is a classic and hasn't been outside in rain since the install. Now, one year later the wood has dried some and I have 1/2" gaps between the boards and most have splits. Here's before and after pics.

And yes, you got a very good deal on the trailer.

Attachments

• After.JPG
    After.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 347
  • Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 425
   / New deck on my trailer today. #4  
Boy, fir is sure pretty wood!

/ New deck on my trailer today. #5  
Looks nice. I bought my trailer brand new with wolmanized wood on it that lasted 5 years. I replaced it with treated wood from Lowes that is doing a lot better. All my rot started at the angle iron that went over the edge of the wood in the back. I cut that off and threw it away. One board curled up on me last year that got in the way of loading round bales onto it, but otherwise it's still solid. I understand why the put that angle iron on there, but I also think it causes the wood to rot prematurely.

/ New deck on my trailer today.
George that deck still looks great cracks and all I'm hoping mine shrinks don't want it to swell.
Eddie you are correct the angle iron on the end does and did rot out the ends of the original planks.I was wondering if I were to put some wood preservative on the ends then the angle would prevent that.
Renze I hope to never see under that trailer ever again :).
S219 fir is a nice tough wood for building with but it's got a mind of it's own when it decides to twist nothing stops it.

/ New deck on my trailer today. #7  
How does fir hold up to the elements? Is it naturally rot resistant?

Around here, it's either treated boards, or white oak. I did my 25' GN with white oak. Full 20' lenght boards for the flat deck, 11 of the about 8" wide. And got 6 10' boards and chopped in half for the dove. Boards are 1.5" thick, since the height of the sides above the cross braces was 1.5".

Cot me $315 for the boards. And white oak lasts as long or longer than treated lumber

/ New deck on my trailer today.
LD1 I'd have to guess the fir deck will last 20 years since it has air all the way around it other than like Eddie stated where there's angle iron on the ends to hold moisture in. Without it there the planks should stay in good shape a long time. White Oak isn't an option here but Tamerak ( Larch )is very rot resistant I just don't have access to it.

/ New deck on my trailer today. #9  
Looks nice. I bought my trailer brand new with wolmanized wood on it that lasted 5 years. I replaced it with treated wood from Lowes that is doing a lot better. All my rot started at the angle iron that went over the edge of the wood in the back. I cut that off and threw it away. One board curled up on me last year that got in the way of loading round bales onto it, but otherwise it's still solid. I understand why the put that angle iron on there, but I also think it causes the wood to rot prematurely.

Instead of an angle, can a flat bar be used? Jon

/ New deck on my trailer today. #10  
Nice job Billrog.
Will you seal it with deck sealer or something?